NS2 for OS X still coming? :)

laparellaparel QC Join Date: 2014-02-16 Member: 194067Members
Hi folks. Long long time fan and player of NS (G4B2S) and always looked forward to support and play NS2 one day.

Unfortunately I don't lug around PCs anymore but I read that a couple of years ago there were plans to port NS2 for mac / os x and so I bought a copy then. Just checking up on how's that coming along. Noticed Linux is already there (pretty awesome) and was wondering how the mac port was coming along. Can't wait to be able to launch it.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    NS2 will never be coming to Mac. The devs have have started on other projects, and the Community Development Team don't have the time or resources to do it. I doubt Mac's would be able to run NS2 anyways. You can try booting into Windows on Mac to play it.
  • laparellaparel QC Join Date: 2014-02-16 Member: 194067Members
    edited February 2015
    Oh damn what a shame. Guess I'll only be playing NS2 in the far far future.

I'll check their new stuffs in the meantime.

Thanks for the update!

(Edit: Too lazy to dual boot really. I'm sure I'll get myself a PC someday. Thanks again.)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hope to see you in game sooner than later :)
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Well, _if_ you find a skilled OS/X programmer that happens to have a bit of OpenGL skill and 3-6 months of free time ... and are into NS2 enough to donate that free time...

Not saying it is impossible, but there is noone with the time/skillset in the CDT now to do that - and it is a serious time commitment to get that done...
    edited February 2015
    Ditto. Game looks and sounds amazing. It's also great how far they've come from the NS1 days.

The hours I've spent playing NS have earned them a lifetime supporter in me.

(Just wish they'd start looking at mac too! Lots of others have started to. 3.32% of steam install is big enough I think. :D)
    matso wrote: »
    [...] to donate that free time...

Hahaha... no.

Anyways, this isn't really my line of business so I wouldn't even presume or demand that UnknownWorlds look into macs.

I do think there are porting companies that does these stuffs though... (Aspyr comes to mind). I know that they have a hand in most of the steam games I own.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    laparel wrote: »
    I do think there are porting companies that does these stuffs though... (Aspyr comes to mind). I know that they have a hand in most of the steam games I own.

Yeah, but that costs money which we don't have. As the CDT, we are unpaid volunteers, we continue to develop NS2 because we love the game.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    (Edit: Too lazy to dual boot really. I'm sure I'll get myself a PC someday. Thanks again.)
    Good then, because you already got one! ;)
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    (Just wish they'd start looking at mac too! Lots of others have started to. 3.32% of steam install is big enough I think. :D)

Macs will run Linux or windows (or bsd or haiku or...).
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    NS2 will never be coming to Mac. The devs have have started on other projects, and the Community Development Team don't have the time or resources to do it. I doubt Mac's would be able to run NS2 anyways. You can try booting into Windows on Mac to play it.

If the CDT can find a Mac programmer who is willing to spend a lot of time porting, then it's possible. Just not in any plans we have right now. On a hardware level, Macs are more than capable of running NS2 if they have a dedicated Graphics Chip of equivalent recommended spec. The hard part is porting and supporting a OSX version and the OpenGL path.

Not saying never, but unlikely for now.