Weirdest tick rate issue on Windows Server 2012 R2

d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 170 Advanced user
edited February 2015 in Server Discussion
CPU: Intel i5 [email protected] GHz (Tested for 16 h with Prime 95's torture test blend. Not a single error and temps are below 70°C. The frequency remains at a constant 4 GHz.)
RAM: 12 [email protected] MHz (These are NOT error correcting so a bit flip is to be expected every now and then. 1 error during 12 h of Memtest86+. I could test for longer be I really don't think this is because of defective RAM.)
MB: Asus P7P55D-E
HDD: 2x500 GB 7200 RPM in a RAID1 (Using the motherboard's firmware RAID.)
PSU: Corsair 400W
OS: Windows Server 2012 R2

Should easily be able to run a 12+ slot NS2 server, right? Well. . . No.

The problem: The tick rate averages around 15 ticks per second while the CPU is nowhere near being pressed for cycles. A more or less constant 95% idle.

The confusion: Simply starting a "magic" program called Throttlestop removes the issue. Throttlestop is used for removing throttling from (mostly) laptops. The weird thing is that I do not have to actually enable the program's features. Simply launching it is enough. Another thing to note is that once the program is started I can't close it since that crashes the computer. (I also suspect it may be the culprit for other system crashes I have been having.) When I start Throttlestop HwInfo64 reports that the processor's turbo feature gets enabled (goes from red to green).

The "solution": Trying to figure out where the problem was stemming from I moved my SSD with Windows 7 on it over to the server machine. Starting the exact same Server.exe binary with the exact same configuration (except for the drive letter) including BIOS and server settings makes it run flawlessly. I didn't install any extra drivers with the exception of those that Windows does automatically.

This is an incredibly annoying problem and despite my best attempts at googling it I have not managed to find a proper solution.

Here's a list of the things I have tried:
  • At first I thought it had something to do with the power saving options so I disabled all of them in BIOS. This includes Speedstep, C1E, the other C-states and even stuff such as EuP Ready. Tick rate goes up from average 12 to average 15 while the idle percentage also goes up. Close, but no cigar.
  • I installed the chipset drivers for the P55-chip in the motherboard. No change.
  • WS2012 seems to have an issue with CPU speed when running Hyper-V, so despite never having installed any of those roles/features I disabled every service I could find that mentioned Hyper-V. No change.
  • Since HwInfo64 reports that turbo gets enabled when I launch Throttlestop I tried changing how Windows Server handles the turbo mode. No change.
  • Removed all overclocking from the machine. No change.
  • I haven't, technically, done a complete re-install of WS2012R2. However, since the issue has been present from the very beginning I seriously doubt it would make a difference.
  • Setting Windows's power plan to "High performance".
  • Probably even more stuff that I have forgotten about by now.

I actually don't expect anyone here to be able to help me. This is just a last-ditch effort before I scrap WS2012R2 and install something else. (Probably Debian, but we'll see.) But I would still really appreciate not having to go through that hassle so I wanted to check with you guys and gals first.

Update 4-2-2015: I installed Debian on a spare HDD and as expected everything is working just beautifully with a very stable 30 tick rate on the empty server.
Update 2: Solution! Adding more players to the server will, somewhat counter-intuitively, increase the tick rate. Only applies at low player numbers naturally.
Post edited by d4rkAlf on

Comments

  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members Posts: 41
    The problem: The tick rate averages around 15 ticks per second while the CPU is nowhere near being pressed for cycles. A more or less constant 95% idle.
    Only read this part. This happens with the auto throttling of clock rates on modern intel cpus, you can actually see it happen on other servers.
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1602767/82.199.102.133:27055
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1433106/82.199.102.133:27045
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1432876/82.199.102.133:27015
    If the cpu load is low, it goes into slow-ass clock to save energy, interestingly resulting in low idle tr. This is normal behaviour. The moment some players join and play, it'll throttle back up. Not ideal for a server but "should not impact performance".
    Disable these features in the bios to fix it. It will use more energy tho.

    These are really simple, almost irrelevant, things. Try asking fellow ops before wasting that much time on it.
    wooza
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts Posts: 2,831 admin
    edited February 2015
    Actually this happens now because the server got optimized in that way and is now dual-threaded.

    There is no reason the server should run with full tick-rate if there are no player at it. As there is no need for extra cpu power in that situation of an empty server the cpu throttles itself.

    Actually i don't see any real reason to disable it as it saves energy (and who cares about the idle tickrate going down as long as it has no influence onto the actual server perf.)

    So overall throttling saves energy and cpu power.
    Post edited by GhoulofGSG9 on
    Developer, Modder and Server Admin of Survival of the Fattest - Ingame Nick: Ghoul
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue Posts: 1,351 Advanced user
    You have soo many questions about the NS2-servers but you know one thing for sure: Your server has a better hitreg than others.
    Must some sort of "magic".
    image
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 170 Advanced user
    edited February 2015
    HellwireD wrote: »
    The problem: The tick rate averages around 15 ticks per second while the CPU is nowhere near being pressed for cycles. A more or less constant 95% idle.
    Only read this part. This happens with the auto throttling of clock rates on modern intel cpus, you can actually see it happen on other servers.
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1602767/82.199.102.133:27055
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1433106/82.199.102.133:27045
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1432876/82.199.102.133:27015
    If the cpu load is low, it goes into slow-ass clock to save energy, interestingly resulting in low idle tr. This is normal behaviour. The moment some players join and play, it'll throttle back up. Not ideal for a server but "should not impact performance".
    Disable these features in the bios to fix it. It will use more energy tho.

    These are really simple, almost irrelevant, things. Try asking fellow ops before wasting that much time on it.
    Well, you are partially right. Having more players on the server does eventually increase the tick rate to 30. But it doesn't have anything to do with the CPU. If you had read the whole thread start you would have seen that I did try disabling all power saving features in the BIOS (and in Windows, though I forgot to mention that).

    Anyways, what makes you think I didn't consult with other server operators before making this thread? Of course I already spoke with a couple. They didn't have a clue either and it's not like I'm going to track down every single NS2 server op. and interrogate them personally. And I, of course, also googled it but was unable to find anything.

    Since you have something against fledgling NS2 server operators asking questions in the official server discussion forum I kindly suggest that you head over to the community wiki and start adding all of the information that is missing or ambiguous.
    Actually this happens now because the server got optimized in that way and is now dual-threaded.

    There is no reason the server should run with full tick-rate if there are no player at it. As there is no need for extra cpu power in that situation of an empty server the cpu throttles itself.

    Actually i don't see any real reason to disable it as it saves energy (and who cares about the idle tickrate going down as long as it has no influence onto the actual server perf.)

    So overall throttling saves energy and cpu power.
    No I totally agree, there is no reason to disable Speedstep et al. However the energy savings from the "optimized lowering of tick rate" seem, at first glance, to be negligible. Between the Debian system and the WS2012 system the power consumption differed by only half a watt (0.5 W). And yes, I am very well aware that making a comparison in that manner is a flawed method. It still intrigued me though since I thought the difference would be much bigger. Do you have any real world data that backs up the claim that a lower tick rate saves energy?
    dePARA wrote: »
    You have soo many questions about the NS2-servers but you know one thing for sure: Your server has a better hitreg than others.
    Must some sort of "magic".
    Yes, not only have I convinced myself that the Yggdrasil server is the proud host of NS2's best hit registration. I have also managed to swindle persuade the other members of Ygg that this is a fact.* ;-)

    *I'm just poking a bit of fun here. Please don't ban me!

    Edit: I just realized I forgot to thank you all for your help. A big thank you to the people who helpfully replied in this thread and an even bigger thank you to all the community members who joined up earlier today and helped me stress the server!
    Post edited by d4rkAlf on
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue Posts: 1,351 Advanced user
    edited February 2015
    A home hosted server has a better net-quality than all the servers located in data centers.
    Thats what i called "real magic"

    Type in perfmon and watch the serverscore. Every score above 20 is good and has the same result on hitreg or whatever.
    The only thing that could have an negative impact on the quality then is the net connection.
    And thats why a home hosted server cannot be better than one located in an data center.

    But feel free to believe your voodoo.
    And have fun to play on your srver with a ping of 4. Maybe thats why it feels better for you?
    Only speculation for sure.

    But who i am, only an admin who was hosting the best NS2 server for over 3,5 years.
    image
  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members Posts: 41
    Actually this happens now because the server got optimized in that way and is now dual-threaded.

    Surely you meant to type 12 threads. Instead of 2.
    This behaviour happened long before we worked towards the server performance improvements.

  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff Posts: 1,199 mod
    dePARA wrote: »
    A home hosted server has a better net-quality than all the servers located in data centers.
    Thats what i called "real magic"

    Type in perfmon and watch the serverscore. Every score above 20 is good and has the same result on hitreg or whatever.
    The only thing that could have an negative impact on the quality then is the net connection.
    And thats why a home hosted server cannot be better than one located in an data center.

    But feel free to believe your voodoo.
    And have fun to play on your srver with a ping of 4. Maybe thats why it feels better for you?
    Only speculation for sure.

    But who i am, only an admin who was hosting the best NS2 server for over 3,5 years.

    You're going very far. It got worse.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results."


  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members Posts: 41
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    Well, you are partially right. Having more players on the server does eventually increase the tick rate to 30. But it doesn't have anything to do with the CPU. If you had read the whole thread start you would have seen that I did try disabling all power saving features in the BIOS (and in Windows, though I forgot to mention that).!
    Well then my friend you didn't try hard enough.

    It is true tho the effects on performance should be negligible. It's more of an annoyance. For edge cases it's well worth disabling just to save the trouble.

    Are you trying to create the perfect server? Nice. I hope it works out. It worries me tho, many have wasted time setting up servers and they remained empty. Seeing you spend ridiculous amounts of time on it makes me even more worried. Yes, you'll learn from it but you'll be very sad if it doesn't become at least somewhat popular.

    You'll want to spend some of that time thinking about what makes a server a place to return to.




    wooza
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 170 Advanced user
    edited February 2015
    dePARA wrote: »
    A home hosted server has a better net-quality than all the servers located in data centers.
    Thats what i called "real magic"

    Type in perfmon and watch the serverscore. Every score above 20 is good and has the same result on hitreg or whatever.
    The only thing that could have an negative impact on the quality then is the net connection.
    And thats why a home hosted server cannot be better than one located in an data center.

    But feel free to believe your voodoo.
    And have fun to play on your srver with a ping of 4. Maybe thats why it feels better for you?
    Only speculation for sure.

    But who i am, only an admin who was hosting the best NS2 server for over 3,5 years.
    Hey, I was just trying to poke a bit of light-hearted fun. I'm sorry if it came across any other way. I enjoyed your post and wanted to talk some trash right back at ya' and it wasn't meant to hit any tender spots. The post was gone (at least seemingly) when I wrote my reply so I had to paraphrase a bit. I'll edit your original post back in ASAP. The HBZ server was my favourite server back when it was up.

    Personally, I haven't noticed any persistent differences in hit reg between our servers, at least not something that can't be explained by the fact I have 10x the ping on your server. I can't talk for my clan mates of course.

    Finally, I hate to admit it, but yes I'm a bit ignorant about what exactly goes into "net quality". However, what I do know is that I'm hosting this server from a 1000 Mb/s (both ways) connection in a country with one of the best internet infrastructures in the world. It is of course not a "dedicated" connection but the few speed tests I've done seem to indicate no real problems.

    Edit: The biggest upside of using an actual server provider is in my opinion the much better uptime. My system has multiple points of failure that will bring the entire NS2 server down. Such as only a single internet connection, no UPS, and only a single machine with a single PSU (hardware errors). Since the HDDs are in a RAID1 I can lose one of them and just keep on going, but there is no redundancy for anything else. A server provider should have multiple spares of all those things. I'm a bit uncertain about how they handle major power outages though.
    HellwireD wrote: »
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    Well, you are partially right. Having more players on the server does eventually increase the tick rate to 30. But it doesn't have anything to do with the CPU. If you had read the whole thread start you would have seen that I did try disabling all power saving features in the BIOS (and in Windows, though I forgot to mention that).!
    Well then my friend you didn't try hard enough.

    It is true tho the effects on performance should be negligible. It's more of an annoyance. For edge cases it's well worth disabling just to save the trouble.

    Are you trying to create the perfect server? Nice. I hope it works out. It worries me tho, many have wasted time setting up servers and they remained empty. Seeing you spend ridiculous amounts of time on it makes me even more worried. Yes, you'll learn from it but you'll be very sad if it doesn't become at least somewhat popular.

    You'll want to spend some of that time thinking about what makes a server a place to return to.
    Yes indeed the performance impact from Speedstep doesn't seem to effect any servers except those running heavy SQL databases (from what I've read so far).

    What do you mean by "didn't try hard enough"?

    And no, I'm not trying to create the perfect server. I just want a clan server for me and my clanmates to have our PCWs and drills on. I'm going to host a public server as well from the same machine because I really have no reason not to, but I will be quite alright even if nobody ever plays on it. And yeah, this is also a learning experience for me. This is my first time running a server of any kind and there is so much for me to learn! :-D
    Post edited by d4rkAlf on
  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members Posts: 41
    You didn't actually disable speedstep or it's modern equivalents.

    Oh, it'd be nice to be full every evening tho.. Would be waste for that connection otherwise...
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 170 Advanced user
    edited February 2015
    HellwireD wrote: »
    You didn't actually disable speedstep or it's modern equivalents.
    Oh believe me, I did. (I double checked it with HWinfo64 and CPU-Z.) Would you like some photographic evidence?

    By the way @GhoulofGSG9, should a server like this still be fine for a 1 versus 1 training session? Or will the reduced tick rate hold that back in any way? My understanding so far is that the send rate will still be 20 and that it should not interfere with training in any way.

    Edit: Forgot the "not" when writing this. Doh!
    Post edited by d4rkAlf on
    bios.jpg 199.1K
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts Posts: 2,831 admin
    edited February 2015
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    HellwireD wrote: »
    You didn't actually disable speedstep or it's modern equivalents.
    Oh believe me, I did. (I double checked it with HWinfo64 and CPU-Z.) Would you like some photographic evidence?

    By the way @GhoulofGSG9, should a server like this still be fine for a 1 versus 1 training session? Or will the reduced tick rate hold that back in any way? My understanding so far is that the send rate will still be 20 and that it should interfere with training in any way.

    Ok here is what exactly is going on at the server when it is idling. When the server is idling the cpu per core usage goes pretty much down to a point were the cpu's / windows energy-saving functions kick in.

    And some windows energy saving magic causes the tick-rate drop in combination with "sleeping" threads.

    About 1 vs 1 training at 20 ticks. The tick-rate is mainly controlling the ai update rate. As in the training it's mostly and basically only pvp and not pve players should not notice any difference.

    In fact testing this at my own server it's back up to 30 ticks with the third player joining.

    So everything should be fine.
    Post edited by GhoulofGSG9 on
    Developer, Modder and Server Admin of Survival of the Fattest - Ingame Nick: Ghoul
    d4rkAlf
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue Posts: 1,351 Advanced user
    My post is based on a pcw against Yggdrasil, where we had to change the server to yours cause your awesome hitreg and you where whining 2 rounds about the "bad hitreg" on a non loaded 3,5 ghz server.

    But maybe ghoul is able to enlight us here.
    Is it possible that some servers can have a better hitreg than others? And we are talking about servers with a constant score over 20 here.
    image
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 170 Advanced user
    dePARA wrote: »
    My post is based on a pcw against Yggdrasil, where we had to change the server to yours cause your awesome hitreg and you where whining 2 rounds about the "bad hitreg" on a non loaded 3,5 ghz server.
    Personally I felt like the hitreg was more "off" than it usually is, at the very least compared to my server. It was only afterwards that I realized that it was most probably because of the latency difference. My teammates (some of whom are based in the USA) might have been having some routing issues that they didn't experience when connecting to a Swedish server. Without any actual tests from that day it's impossible to discern whether that was the case or not.

    The only real reason I had for wanting to switch was that I wanted to put the Yggdrasil server through its paces.

    That was why I found your initial post so funny. I thought you were mocking me light-heartedly for my eagerness to switch server because of the "bad" hitreg. (Which, of course, wasn't bad because of the server and hence must have been bad due to "magic".)
  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members Posts: 41
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    By the way @GhoulofGSG9, should a server like this still be fine for a 1 versus 1 training session? Or will the reduced tick rate hold that back in any way? My understanding so far is that the send rate will still be 20 and that it should interfere with training in any way.

    Ok here is what exactly is going on at the server when it is idling. When the server is idling the cpu per core usage goes pretty much down to a point were the cpu's / windows energy-saving functions kick in. When that happens the time needed for each move calculation goes up.

    That triggers the dynamic tick-rate/move-rate adjustment that is now build into ns2 to make sure users don't suffer that much when the cpu gets under heavy load ( by lowering the tick-rate you you lower the cpu usage and make sure you still are inside the interpolation rate with the movement packets).

    About 1 vs 1 training at 20 ticks. The tick-rate is mainly controlling the ai update rate. As in the training it's mostly and basically only pvp and not pve players should not notice any difference.

    In fact testing this at my own server it's back up to 30 ticks with the third player joining.

    So everything should be fine.

    Move calculation time goes up and it throttles tickrate which controls ai? It'd fall apart if that's how it worked.
    It actually throttles mr and tr follows. Yes, in a 1vs1, you'll play on a degraded server.

    The low tr during idle is something that occurred before the throttling was adapted (in 272) to what it is now.

    @d4rkAlf No, really, if you actually properly disabled any cpu throttling functions, it will not show the low tr when idle. Something is missing.



  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts Posts: 2,831 admin
    edited February 2015
    HellwireD wrote: »
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    By the way @GhoulofGSG9, should a server like this still be fine for a 1 versus 1 training session? Or will the reduced tick rate hold that back in any way? My understanding so far is that the send rate will still be 20 and that it should interfere with training in any way.

    Ok here is what exactly is going on at the server when it is idling. When the server is idling the cpu per core usage goes pretty much down to a point were the cpu's / windows energy-saving functions kick in. When that happens the time needed for each move calculation goes up.

    That triggers the dynamic tick-rate/move-rate adjustment that is now build into ns2 to make sure users don't suffer that much when the cpu gets under heavy load ( by lowering the tick-rate you you lower the cpu usage and make sure you still are inside the interpolation rate with the movement packets).

    About 1 vs 1 training at 20 ticks. The tick-rate is mainly controlling the ai update rate. As in the training it's mostly and basically only pvp and not pve players should not notice any difference.

    In fact testing this at my own server it's back up to 30 ticks with the third player joining.

    So everything should be fine.

    Move calculation time goes up and it throttles tickrate which controls ai? It'd fall apart if that's how it worked.
    It actually throttles mr and tr follows. Yes, in a 1vs1, you'll play on a degraded server.

    The low tr during idle is something that occurred before the throttling was adapted (in 272) to what it is now.

    @d4rkAlf No, really, if you actually properly disabled any cpu throttling functions, it will not show the low tr when idle. Something is missing.

    Yeah after looking up the source code i noticed the adjustment code never made it actually into the public build. So it has to be some energy saving vodoo function of win2012 r2.

    But actually as said before it is only affecting the networked tick-rate (the actual tick-rate goes up to it's real value as soon as a player has connected) a short while and has basically no real affect. Beside that the tick-rate graph might look a bit weird.
    Developer, Modder and Server Admin of Survival of the Fattest - Ingame Nick: Ghoul
  • AmbivalentAmbiguityAmbivalentAmbiguity Miami, FL Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194129Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 23 Advanced user
    I had this problem a long time ago when I first started my servers. The problem was that I simply had windows power options set to "balanced" instead of "high performance." So it was throttling the CPU during periods of inactivity, thus the tick.

    I know this might not be the problem at all, but it's worth checking. It seems to be that you have a fresh install of 2012 so you may have just overlooked it.
    GhoulofGSG9
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 170 Advanced user
    edited February 2015
    I had this problem a long time ago when I first started my servers. The problem was that I simply had windows power options set to "balanced" instead of "high performance." So it was throttling the CPU during periods of inactivity, thus the tick.

    I know this might not be the problem at all, but it's worth checking. It seems to be that you have a fresh install of 2012 so you may have just overlooked it.

    Hi there! Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I have already tried that. I only remembered recently (I have tried so many things) so it only just got added to the list of stuff I have tried.
    Post edited by d4rkAlf on
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 4,770 Advanced user
    You probably don't have access to bios, but if you might be able to turn off turbo boost/speedstep.
    From my perspective UWE has been trying to both with what little resources they have given to the game. They don't have an AAA budget, let alone an indie game budget. They have the budget of a game that has been out 6 years. I want to say, don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing. I just don't think they have the resources to do it. Unlike many of the people on the forums, I guess I am just happy they are at least trying even though I may not like what they end up doing.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 170 Advanced user
    Nordic wrote: »
    You probably don't have access to bios, but if you might be able to turn off turbo boost/speedstep.
    That was the first thing I tried and it's also on the top of the list of things I have done in this thread. I re-read the list though and realized the wording was a bit ambiguous so to clarify I now specifically mention Speedstep. (Turbo has been off the whole time.)
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue Posts: 1,351 Advanced user
    Why the disagree sephy.
    Your home hosted server was a perfect example.

    Red/yellow plugs and ping spikes nonstop.
    Maybe your machine was able to run a server, your connection wasnt.
    image
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue Posts: 171 Fully active user
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    HellwireD wrote: »
    You didn't actually disable speedstep or it's modern equivalents.
    Oh believe me, I did. (I double checked it with HWinfo64 and CPU-Z.) Would you like some photographic evidence?

    I see CPU TM Function is on, why?

    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Quoting this again to remind people what a bad development and community interaction policy looks like. Lets go down the list. See if you can find exactly where each point is hit.
    -Contradicts community feedback by vaguely insisting a bad change has been "positive"
    -Decrees that the change is permanent despite overwhelming community outcry in the negative
    -Misrepresent the arguments people are using in order to get an easy position to defend your change from.
    -Fail to make any real arguments in favor of your position other than the aforementioned "its positive"
    -Claim to understand complaints immediately after failing to properly interpret and respond to a quote in the same post.
    -Claim that holes left by the newly missing experiences are being filled by unrelated and half baked mechanics.
    -Ignoring community feedback, then retroactively pretending that changes made personally were based on community feedback.

  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 170 Advanced user
    edited February 2015
    wooza wrote: »
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    HellwireD wrote: »
    You didn't actually disable speedstep or it's modern equivalents.
    Oh believe me, I did. (I double checked it with HWinfo64 and CPU-Z.) Would you like some photographic evidence?

    I see CPU TM Function is on, why?

    Because CPU TM Function stands for CPU Thermal Management Function. I.e. the motherboard will signal to the CPU that the CPU package is above 100°C and that it should lower its clock speed in order to cool down. When I run Prime 95 the cores stay below 70°C so it is not an issue during normal operation. (In case you don't know, the cores can be, and usually are, hotter than the package.)

    The reason I have this enabled is in case of catastrophic CPU fan failure (maybe even during a heat wave). Sure, the CPU will shut itself off when/if it reaches 130°C but running above 100°C can cause long term damage any way.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue Posts: 171 Fully active user
    Must be a personal Preference. I wouldn't ever think about enabling EIST, TM and C-States and SpeedStep for a overclocked machine. My CPU's throttling down the Speed automatically when TJ Max is being reached, which is at 101° and 100° and shut down if temperatures not getting better
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Quoting this again to remind people what a bad development and community interaction policy looks like. Lets go down the list. See if you can find exactly where each point is hit.
    -Contradicts community feedback by vaguely insisting a bad change has been "positive"
    -Decrees that the change is permanent despite overwhelming community outcry in the negative
    -Misrepresent the arguments people are using in order to get an easy position to defend your change from.
    -Fail to make any real arguments in favor of your position other than the aforementioned "its positive"
    -Claim to understand complaints immediately after failing to properly interpret and respond to a quote in the same post.
    -Claim that holes left by the newly missing experiences are being filled by unrelated and half baked mechanics.
    -Ignoring community feedback, then retroactively pretending that changes made personally were based on community feedback.

  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 170 Advanced user
    edited February 2015
    Apparently, the Minecraft server application is also "magical" and will bring the tick rate up to 30. Turbo boost doesn't get reported as enabled while running it though. (Unlike ThrottleStop.)

    Running another executable jar file with nothing but an infinite loop does not cause the tick rate to go up. So it seems that it's something specific to the Minecraft server application.

    The plot thickens. . .
    Post edited by d4rkAlf on
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver Posts: 4,381 Advanced user
    Even more odd because its generally a bad idea to run ns2 and minecraft on the same rig as both eat cpu like its nothing.
    NS2
    Old/resigned Dutch Translation Lead. Give feedback about the translation, or help improve by clicking: Current NS2 Dutch translation project. Dutch players apply!
    NS2 Server Maintenance Manual
    WorkshopBackup Manual (WSB Server)
    Ingame: DCDarkling
    'DCDs Steam Workshop', for your NS2 X-Hairs and Viewmodel Weapon mods
    Viewmodels are the ones you hold in your hand, not the one shown in the world!

    Old NS2 Stuff:
    Marine Commander Guide NS2
    Alien Commander Guide NS2
    NS2 Mentor Program
    Old NS1 stuff:
    'Infested Pack v0.6' for models & props
    Darklings Guide to Commanding Version 1.001
Sign In or Register to comment.