NS 3.2 Dedicated server bizarre crash

GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
So the hard drive in my game server ate itself and I was forced to reinstall everything. I thought it would be a good time to upgrade to Fedora 20 x64 since Fedora 18 was going to lose security support in some months.

Well I got the Half-Life Dedicated Server (Steampipe version) installed and updated and it does this when I try to run the NS mod:
Console initialized.
Using breakpad crash handler
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 70
Forcing breakpad minidump interfaces to load
Looking up breakpad interfaces from steamclient
Calling BreakpadMiniDumpSystemInit
Protocol version 48
Exe version 1.1.2.2/Stdio (valve)
Exe build: 17:45:07 Apr 25 2013 (6027)
STEAM Auth Server
Server logging data to file logs/L0210023.log
L 02/10/2014 - 21:56:57: Log file started (file "logs/L0210023.log") (game "ns") (version "48/1.1.2.2/Stdio/6027")
L 02/10/2014 - 21:56:57: Server cvar "sv_maxrate" = "8192"
Server IP address 
LoadLibrary failed on �ڦ��ۦ�S$U��ڦ�=������: �ڦ��ۦ�S$U��ڦ�=������: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API from �ڦ��ۦ�S$U��ڦ�=������!
L 02/10/2014 - 21:56:57: FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API from �ڦ��ۦ�S$U��ڦ�=������!

FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API from �ڦ��ۦ�S$U��ڦ�=������!

HLDS works fine when I have it load HLDM, but it absolutely refuses to load NS and I can't figure the reason.

Comments

• potwoor1337potwoor1337 Germany Join Date: 2014-06-18 Member: 196608Members
    i have the same problem plz help :-) i love ns
  • tschumanntschumann Australia Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71862Members
    Is there anything in logs/L0210023.log?
  • waleed030waleed030 afadd Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203019Members
    Hopefully someone has a backup file and can make the download work again with a quick and easy fix.
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    I forgot all about this thread.

I figured out the problem, NS is completely incompatible with Steampipe. You'll have to find a non-steampipe version of HLDS in order to run a NS server, or since the source code is out now, recompile the mod against the newer HL engine source. Though there are caveats with that, as in it WILL break all compatibility with existing Metamod/AMX plugins that rely on memory offsets to do code injection.

This means that pretty much every NS specific plugin will stop working unless you also update those plugins with new offsets.

The reason why NS crashes on Steampipe is because NS uses a ridiculously out of date glibc. This wasn't a problem on the old HL engine because it also uses the same outdated glibc dependencies. Steampipe on the other hand was updated to use newer dependencies so most 3rd party HL mods won't work anymore.

I dabbled in the NS source code a bit to see if I could do a quick recompile, but that proved infeasible. The code is a disaster, there are parts of several copies of code strewn about everywhere and there is LOTS of hardcoded dependencies, variables and other nonsense that makes it pointless to try and work on. It's probably why nobody else has bothered messing with the code this long after it's been released.