Effectiveness of Ink ability (Or lack of)

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
What are peoples thoughts of the Shade ability Ink, apart from being used as a defensive measure against arcs (Which in my opinion the duration is too short and the cooldown timer alittle bit too long).

Anyone have much luck in using it offensively? For example having a Shade by the front lines and covering the area in Ink to hinder a marines visual effectiveness while skulks swarm en masse to cleanup?

Only ever seen this happen very rarely and its effectiveness is a mixed opinion to be honest.

What improvements would you suggest if any were needed at all?

Discuss.

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It's really situational but effective at what it does. I'm perfectly happy with it as is. I remember a while back, virs used to echo shades around and ink but I haven't seen it done in a long time.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The only time I really ever use ink is on nanogrid in veil against arc sieges with a shade hive. It's not really used much else because most comms don't get shade until 3rd hive. It's simply not as reliable as the shift+crag combo.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I've found myself using ink in a few different situations lately, mainly due to simply going shade first more often.
    Its freaking wonderful that nowadays it actually pwns vs arcs when the comm is scanning for vision (not as effective when an obs is built nearby).
    The vision obscuration of ink is kinda nice too, especially if you're an awful alien commander like me and you like to spam rupture for days
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    The structure is too big and weak.. very easy target...
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    id like the shade to have the same aoi detection function that the sensory chamber had.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @SamusDroid‌ that is 50x better than what we have now, my god man bring it back!
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    id like the shade to have the same aoi detection function that the sensory chamber had.

This. As well. Would be brilliant if Aura could have some kind of integration with it? Like the effectiveness of one veil chamber so it's not too overpowering?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    this is how it used to be a very long time ago, and is commented out code B-)
    Hughnicorn: "Me like very much".

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I've found myself using ink in a few different situations lately, mainly due to simply going shade first more often.
    Its freaking wonderful that nowadays it actually pwns vs arcs when the comm is scanning for vision (not as effective when an obs is built nearby).
    The vision obscuration of ink is kinda nice too, especially if you're an awful alien commander like me and you like to spam rupture for days

Wait, ink stops arcs from targeting?
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    @SamusDroid‌ that is 50x better than what we have now, my god man bring it back!
    Holy crap please no don't do it so help me worst ink ever in the history of inks. 0/8 ink.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »

Wait, ink stops arcs from targeting?

Yes.
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    edited January 2015
    Couple of Ideas :

1: The ink butt is also some toxic hallucinogenic substance and for a duration after leaving the butt the vision appears as if the power was off, regardless if it is or isn't. The flashlight would let the marine see in the darkness like it normally would however, but to plays unnefected he appears to be shining it in the brightness

2: Aliens who enter the cloud get temporary partial invisibility regardless of how fast they are moving for a short time. Would allow aliens to run in and out of the butt making it very chaotic and confusing for marines.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    Ink used to be extremely useful against arcs, but with the cooldown now this has been severely nerfed. I still use it if I have a shade hive available. As a audiovisual-confusing ability for marines, it's kind of okay, although I feel like you can "aim through it" pretty easily, especially if you're good. I feel like it should be better (as well as the cyst burst, the way it used to be), but the "ubær prö" community, mostly from Australia, successfully talked whoever was making the decisions out of it back in the day and it's remained useless since then. About the same time as the complete disappearance of the gorge spit.

Shades to hide cysts can be powerful, but again this has been nerfed by the structure now costing 13 instead of 10. It's not THAT significant, but it does add up. Would I buy shades to cyst somewhere unexpected, or a faster lifeform upgrade? I tend to go for the latter.

As far as nostalgia goes, I want glancing bites back hm?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Turn phantom back into camo/silence.
    Give shades AOE aura?

I do know that lots of players love having their aura upgrade, just a thought though.

Also CDT plz buff rupture <3

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    ...or just give shades aura. But maybe only for commanders, and not on the minimap?
    It's fair, i think, that the "weakest" hive type, should also be the most versatile.
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    ...or just give shades aura. But maybe only for commanders, and not on the minimap?
    It's fair, i think, that the "weakest" hive type, should also be the most versatile.

That'd work. Like the old hive sight!
    We need more responses from the community to get a weighted decision about this, then forward it to CDT for input, I hope Ink gets the attention it deserves....But not what it needs right now. lol!
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I think it should have an aura effect. Sensory was very usefull in ns1 because you could defend your structures better with more intel. The cloaking effect is nice and it is used in every game even if you don't go shade hive first. But adding aura could make the building more relevant and tempt commanders to chose the shade path.

I also think that the sounds and halucinations were useless. The fade sounds made me look back a few times, but since they were a passive effect, all it did was reveal a shade position and that is something you don't want. Adding halucinations to the ink effect would add to the ability on the other hand (I was never a friend of drifter abilites anyways).

Ink should cancel an ongoing scan. That way it was effective against sieges AND it had a chance of surviving the first seconds of an attack. All I see now is that as soon as a few arcs start firing, the shade takes damage and dies before it even had the chance to use ink in order to block a second scan. That is frustrating and makes the ability only useable during a normal fight in the hive room. In ns1 you could build a wall of defense chambers and heal them with gorges to sponge the damage and give the team time to fight off the enemy. It was also necessary to conquer a siege position and build up siege cannons. A process that tested both teams and that gave the people something to do. Now only the commander builds stuff and orders it around, it appears out of nowhere (I know, scout more blablabla) and the first volley destroys half the hive and all shades. That is boring and skillless and I still prefer the ns1 mechanics. If Ink blocks scans and forces the rines to actually go in and fight, I am for a change!

All my thoughts are based on how I think ink is working right now, but it changed so often, I am not even sure how it works now ;) It blocks new scans but can't cancel ongoing scans, right?
    I think it should have an aura effect. Sensory was very usefull in ns1 because you could defend your structures better with more intel. The cloaking effect is nice and it is used in every game even if you don't go shade hive first. But adding aura could make the building more relevant and tempt commanders to chose the shade path.

I also think that the sounds and halucinations were useless. The fade sounds made me look back a few times, but since they were a passive effect, all it did was reveal a shade position and that is something you don't want. Adding halucinations to the ink effect would add to the ability on the other hand (I was never a friend of drifter abilites anyways).

Ink should cancel an ongoing scan. That way it was effective against sieges AND it had a chance of surviving the first seconds of an attack. All I see now is that as soon as a few arcs start firing, the shade takes damage and dies before it even had the chance to use ink in order to block a second scan. That is frustrating and makes the ability only useable during a normal fight in the hive room. In ns1 you could build a wall of defense chambers and heal them with gorges to sponge the damage and give the team time to fight off the enemy. It was also necessary to conquer a siege position and build up siege cannons. A process that tested both teams and that gave the people something to do. Now only the commander builds stuff and orders it around, it appears out of nowhere (I know, scout more blablabla) and the first volley destroys half the hive and all shades. That is boring and skillless and I still prefer the ns1 mechanics. If Ink blocks scans and forces the rines to actually go in and fight, I am for a change!

All my thoughts are based on how I think ink is working right now, but it changed so often, I am not even sure how it works now ;) It blocks new scans but can't cancel ongoing scans, right?

I think thats correct, I just dont find INK viable for hive defense anymore as the cooldown timer is so long and the duration is too short, sure you'll block 1 or 2 salvos but you are just delaying the inevitable by literally seconds, even those precious seconds aren't enough for aliens to counter attack sometimes.
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    I think thats correct, I just dont find INK viable for hive defense anymore as the cooldown timer is so long and the duration is too short, sure you'll block 1 or 2 salvos but you are just delaying the inevitable by literally seconds, even those precious seconds aren't enough for aliens to counter attack sometimes.

Not sure, I had games where I went for Shadehive just because ARC's came up to the freshly built hive. Ink is saving a lot of ress and give aliens much more time to defend against ARC's. This effects that rines come with even more ARC's and just in that moment when there are about 6-8 ARC's the Gorges were able to take them out (don't ask me why). Huge resswaste for the Marines and Hive is still up.

But I agree with the Shade itself (not Ink) is verry weak. I stoped to build Shades in early game for tunnels cause the Marines find the tunnel anyway (most of all times because the gorge is clogging the tunnel :unamused: ). I only build them to cloak sneaky tunnels or upgrades. They also help when Marines try to egglock you and the scans are missing.

I only have one problem: if I should choose between 2 Upgrades i would prefer Spur+Shell or Veil+Shell. Between 2 Hiveabilities I would choose Echo and Ink. Can't combine them with only 2 Hives :disappointed:
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    If I'm not mistaken, ink blocks 2 arc shots with a 1-shot cooldown before you can use it again. That effectively means tripling the time it takes to arc down your hive, possibly more if you are also healing it. How fast the shade dies depends on placement and how many arcs they are using, it is completely possible to put the shade far enough on the other side of the hive that they can't arc it at all.

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unless I missed the change, ink can nullify any number of arcs as long as they shoot at the same time? So unlike the crags heal wave, shades ink's effectiveness is proportional to the number of arcs.
    Hoeloe wrote: »
    But I agree with the Shade itself (not Ink) is verry weak. I stoped to build Shades in early game for tunnels cause the Marines find the tunnel anyway (most of all times because the gorge is clogging the tunnel :unamused: ). I only build them to cloak sneaky tunnels or upgrades. They also help when Marines try to egglock you and the scans are missing.

I never ever cloaked gorge tunnels for this reason. It's very easy to spot. I don't cloak any tech what so with the exception of tech that needs to be inked against arcs of course. The only things I care about cloaking are cysts and players (cloaking whips are fun too I have to admit). So I don't think shades are weak, they are just used wrong. Cloaking buildings is useless.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I never ever cloaked gorge tunnels for this reason. It's very easy to spot. I don't cloak any tech what so with the exception of tech that needs to be inked against arcs of course. The only things I care about cloaking are cysts and players (cloaking whips are fun too I have to admit). So I don't think shades are weak, they are just used wrong. Cloaking buildings is useless.
    Ofc its useless if you have your upgrades next to each other in the hiveroom.
    edited January 2015
    _INTER_ wrote: »

Its hilarious that a lot of comms still do that. Herp derp, 1 round of nades or arcs and 45 res gone up in smoke. Not to mention if a stray marine comes in they're all nice and easy to find.

If I EVER do that in cases where the techpoint is limited in decent seperate places to put them, I'll maybe put 2 together in a corner and build the shade in front of them so the marine has to gun that down before he can get to the goodies :D

I'll re-iterate though; I think shade hive is in a good place balance-wise at the moment. At MOST an aoe hive sight effect could be added to shades for a buff, but anything more would make them OP.
    Heck, even hive sight would make them VERY powerful, khamms could pre-warn fades of marines hiding around corners and the marines wouldn't even know they're being watched. This has pretty hard consequences for mid and late game lifeform survivability.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    _INTER_ wrote: »

Its hilarious that a lot of comms still do that. Herp derp, 1 round of nades or arcs and 45 res gone up in smoke. Not to mention if a stray marine comes in they're all nice and easy to find.

If I EVER do that in cases where the techpoint is limited in decent seperate places to put them, I'll maybe put 2 together in a corner and build the shade in front of them so the marine has to gun that down before he can get to the goodies :D

I'll re-iterate though; I think shade hive is in a good place balance-wise at the moment. At MOST an aoe hive sight effect could be added to shades for a buff, but anything more would make them OP.
    Heck, even hive sight would make them VERY powerful, khamms could pre-warn fades of marines hiding around corners and the marines wouldn't even know they're being watched. This has pretty hard consequences for mid and late game lifeform survivability.

You are talking about sight only if the comm has shade tech anyway, at which point those fades will, at least optionally, have Aura themselves. I don't think that giving the Comm an aura-analogue at the same time the lifeforms get the same ability sounds particularly balance changing.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would honestly like it if the shade hive became OP for a little while.

Because:
    1) It would add variety, because people would actually choose shade hive.
    2) Shade hive would not become the most used hive type even if OP because of the pub cookie cutter strats.
    3)Once shade hive being OP has spread into pub games, causing more even hive type usage, nerf it back to balance it. Pubs would still use shade hive because they use cookie cutter strats adding more variety.

Might be one of the few ways to make pubs use something other than shift hive.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    can't you just have two shades and alternate inks?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    can't you just have two shades and alternate inks?
    Cooldown is global.