Idea for Marine item: Trapper device

2»

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    coolitic wrote: »
    Khamm ability similar to vortex but cc? (to replace ink perhaps)

Just putting out half-baked ideas.

Which vortex?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    The one that sucked marines in, or the one that made fades teleport after a single swipe, @Coolitic,
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    Main problem I see with the trapper is while the rines would have to enter the dome to damage the onos or whatever inside, the rines can just all line up and kill the onos once it ends.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    theres nothing bad about limiting mobility if it's done in a creative interesting and fun way period
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    theres nothing bad about limiting mobility if it's done in a creative interesting and fun way period

There is nothing wrong with obscuring vision if it's done in a creative interesting and fun way period.
    There is nothing wrong with eliminating mobility if it's done in a creative interesting and fun way period.
    There is nothing wrong with a god mode if it's done in a creative interesting and fun way period.

You can say anything like that. Anything would be good if done in a creative, interesting, and fun way. Mobility is just something you typically don't want to limit much as it usually detracts not adds.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    Not in a game like NS2, where a moment could cost you your life, and your life has already cost you cash
    Not to mention that dying would set your team back, as well as you. Losing an onos would be devastating. (the job of an onos is to NOT DIE - so he can be around when he is needed. Period)
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Earlier I thought that it is hard to balance this device. I still think so.
    But now I also realize that this thing should be samehow implemented as comeback ticket for marines in those long "already lost" last stands on pub servers.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    devel wrote: »
    But now I also realize that this thing should be samehow implemented as comeback ticket for marines in those long "already lost" last stands on pub servers.

"already lost"
    If they already lost, shouldn't they lose and not get a mechanism to drag their loss out longer.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    devel wrote: »

"already lost"
    If they already lost, shouldn't they lose and not get a mechanism to drag their loss out longer.

tbh. If Onos' were able to break the 'forcefield', similar to how ultralisks can in SC2, then I think that would more or less take care of that.

It should not be able to trap Onos under any circumstance. I'm still against the idea, but I think that is the minimum requirement.
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    I've heard of this idea on another discusion, and if you really wanted a item to limit mobility it would be changing the pulse grenade to increase the energy expended to do actions, so a action would take up something like 150% more energy to preform. It could limit onos mobility in the sense that they have to leave or be stuck without charge while not leaving it almost completely immobile while marines line up to shoot it.

Also IMO the only reason you would take a pulse grenade over a cluster or nerve gas grenade is because it does more initial damage than the cluster grenade, but the cluster grenade has overall much more raw damage and AOE, and 2 grenades for damage lacks variety.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If the marines have a weapon to limit [lifeforms including] onos movement, it should be hard to pull off and require skill and coordination. OHWAIT we have armory blocks and stuff.
    Nordic wrote: »
    "already lost"
    This, 1000x this. Vanilla NS2 should not be designed around comeback mechanics otherwise every match would be a back-and-forth of comebacks. GL spam and armory walls already serve to drag out public games long, long after they should have ended.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited January 2015
    Ink should be replaced by an ability that temporary disables all damage to and from affected marines (marines can't get hurt and they can't fire either)

Additionally, perhaps a 25% slow or something? Perhaps exos unaffected?