So about the Hitreg...

countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
edited December 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm playing more NS2 again after a pause and I experienced some problems:

- Last night I was killed as a Gorge by a w0 marine with less than a magazine. That really made me wonder, since whenever I hit a Gorge with perfect aim (whole magazine with hit sound), it won't die.
- Same for Skulks. Sometimes they die in a second (first encouner), sometimes they won't at all (mostly when moving).
- I noticed that very good players tend to kill a lot and somehow avoid to be killed, not only with movement. I ran at a marine from behind and not a single bite was registered. You really couldn't hit that dude. He wasn't a cheater, he's well known on the server I played on.
Hitreg in general seems to work sometimes, sometimes not.

That leads to a question:
Does being awesome in NS2 not only mean having good movement and aim, but also somehow knowing about the flaws and working with those? Or are there config tricks or anything?

I mean, i'm a Quake/CS/NS1 veteran, I know when stuff should register. In NS2 however, 30% doesn't seem to, but still there are people rocking the sht. How do they do it?

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    The hitboxes are pretty darn good, so any hitregistry issues are probably server-related.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The guns may be accurate, but they have spread!

If you think you're hitting all your rifle bullets and the gorge doesnt die, you're probably skimming the edge of the model causing bullets to miss etc. Or he's got cara3 and you're on w0 :)

Running at a marine from behind is a bad idea if you're on a laggy server as it can cause inconsistencies (im thinking scenarios where the player in fronts player-player collision box causes a skulk to 'collide' and stop moving on the alien client side, therefore missing a bite), but not just because of this- it also makes you easy to hear and shoot. Have you tried walljumping?

Frankly in NS2 if anything the hitboxes can be TOO accurate. Like many of us you're probably used to sloppy-ass 6-sided hitboxes you get in CSS for example- the hitboxes in ns2 tend to be dead on the worldmodel, meaning bullets that miss the model actually miss.

In short- Aim for the center of your target, not the edges. You'll miss less.

if you believe there to be a hitreg issue, reproduce it and provide videographical evidence. If your video simply contains footage of you missing a gorge over and over again with a shotgun while he spits you down from full health... We will laugh at you and simultaneously share your pain.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @countbasie‌ (so you like Jazz)

Make a local server and use "cheats 1" (documentation here) in console to be able to use the "collision" command. Add some bots addbot 1 1 and addbot 1 2. You will see that the mesh used for entities are not Boxes.

On the other side i agree there are some glitches in there. I often see it when there is a ping gap. Me 30 and him 60, etc.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    sadly many servers out there simply can not handle the player load they run on, with sad results.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited December 2014
    I'm not talking about the Hitboxes (I know how precise they are, tested it back in beta stage), I'm talking about the Hitreg. I actually have more problems as a Skulk than as marine.

So you guys are telling me it's my aim and there are no Hitreg problems? There's no possibility that you could have an advantage with better client performance or something?

@UncleCruch:
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah it seems to be performance based in most cases. Had instances on poor performing servers where I would land a swipe/bite, the sound effect would change to indicate a confirmed hit but no draw damage or hit sound was activated.

Also had cases where I shoot a skulk, I hear the skulk screech when they take damage (no other marines near me) but no damage drawn or hit sound. Pretty frustrating.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    @matso: Now that's a satisfying answer, thanks.

As I said, I have much experience with FPS games, and something about NS2 stompers feels odd compared to high skilled players in other games.

The possibility of them having an advantage of about 50ms is...well, quite a number. I guess I need a new PC then.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    still, do not exclude server performance.

It really really REALLY matters if you are not on a server which has its cpu or bandwidth dying off.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

It really really REALLY matters if you are not on a server which has its cpu or bandwidth dying off.

So true. Was on a server that couldn't handle the late game last night, and I kept red plugging (only to come back 1 second later). Impossible to comm or play. The server was struggling. Not a good experience.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    How does the compensation work Mateo I was lead to believe there's none for people under 10ms?
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    what server you play on anyway ?
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    sadly many servers out there simply can not handle the player load they run on, with sad results.

How many would that be? A rough guess is fine.

• schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    if you believe there to be a hitreg issue, reproduce it and provide videographical evidence.

http://www.twitch.tv/schustor/c/4160204

Is this good enough evidence?
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    schu wrote: »
    if you believe there to be a hitreg issue, reproduce it and provide videographical evidence.

http://www.twitch.tv/schustor/c/4160204

Is this good enough evidence?

This happens far too much. BTW this is the kind of evidence needed to prove poor hit reg, not the kind where you see blood just before you die; that's netcode (I believe)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    In the future If you are really intending on providing useful video footage - not that we need it right now, we can reproduce this edge case issue - please be sure to have net_stats enabled.
    Surprised it's still from this year b-(
  • schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yea, we understand that ironhorse. But how many players do you know go into a pub and say "ya know, i like watching numbers on my screen while i play, so im going to type net_stats and enjoy a game of ns2!" I don't know 1 person who does that.

Most of these no regs are completely random but happen frequently. There are days where i play and i notice little to no bad reg and other days it happens in 70% of my engagements. It won't be much for a rifle bullet. Most of the time I wont even notice 1 bullet not regging. I notice it a lot more on aliens when I'm biting someone or when i have a SG and half my pellets dont register.

It's very erratic and you can't predict when its going to happen next.
    Last I checked? Half of my list.
    Although that was at least 1 patch ago, not counting latest one as its what.. 2 weeks old.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    schu wrote: »
    I don't know 1 person who does that.
    Someone who is intending on providing useful footage for us.
    That's how we found out how to reproduce the issue in the first place - a shout out to @Locklear‌
    actually I have netstats and perfmon running quite often. :D
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer

So true. Was on a server that couldn't handle the late game last night, and I kept red plugging (only to come back 1 second later). Impossible to comm or play. The server was struggling. Not a good experience.

Do fire up net_stats and verify that it is the server that's struggling (or turn on "perfmon" (detail level should be fine) in the console). There has been reports that seems to indicate that low level of network loss causes redplugging and bad play - should not do that, but it may be that the fix that stopped infinite load times for bad networks instead makes the network code more sensitive to some patterns of packet loss.

The server performance improvements in 272 has made all servers go green - I don't even see any yellow "Loaded" servers in the browser nowadays - so bad servers should be a thing of the past . I hope...

matso wrote: »
    The server performance improvements in 272 has made all servers go green - I don't even see any yellow "Loaded" servers in the browser nowadays - so bad servers should be a thing of the past . I hope...

Turns out there are servers that should get a bad rating but don't.
    Where was Ironwall and his server on a laptop during playtests i wonder... :-/
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yep, servers with an reduced movementrate and higher interpolation than 100 should have a bad rating.
    edited December 2014
    dePARA wrote: »
    Yep, servers with an reduced movementrate and higher interpolation than 100 should have a bad rating.
    You missed the lowered updaterate, mate.

I meant this fellow http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1570973/195.154.217.184:27065
    Screenshot:
    VtXKdSK.jpg
    Glad it's in a half crash now. #:-S
    edited December 2014
    Both those servers lack cpu.
    I don't get it ATF, why are you playing the name and shame game all of a sudden?
    Your time is better spent contacting the server owners and notifying them, not us.