Build 272 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited December 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 272 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

A very Merry Gorgemas to you! With the holiday all around us it wouldn’t be fair to not be festive in the depths of space too. Build 272 has been...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    refinery please fix the stuck spot at the entrance of the vent from lavafalls to chasm, i cant remember how many times i have gotten stuck on that vent trying to go through it as a fade, lerk or marine.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Opening the game I was like "OH THATS SO BADASS NOW"

Awesomesauce for all the server performance updates!
  • antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
    No fix for Windows XP SP3? :(
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    antd00d wrote: »

There's already a fix available. :wink:
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    antd00d wrote: »
    You should update your OS, Windows officially dropped support for XP users a long time ago. Also, from what I can tell, it's extremely difficult to support outdated operating systems.

Nice update guys. Thank you so much for fixing the alt-tab noise bug. I can't tell you how many times I jumped out of my chair. The optimizations are nice too. Hopefully these optimizations help us in the extreme late game, or in game-modes like "Siege" where redplugging, fps, and lag are all horrendous.
  • Kamilko47Kamilko47 Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187882Members
    What about Linux non-english fonts?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    NS2 servers now also show up in the steam server list.

WOOOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting SO LONG for this shit! I know it must have caused some issues with some of the 3rd party assets out there, but this is really a huge quality of life improvement for me!

Great job guys!
  • SPASMadnessSPASMadness Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156958Members
    edited December 2014

DAMNIT ! I deleted them two days ago out of despair ! Gotta found the IP again now ^^
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    Any plans on fixing the marine second ip (9v9+) spawning too close to the first? I can't count how many times i've noticed them practically touching each other, often enough with the phase or armory within bile range, and devastating the marine team as gorge.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any plans on fixing the marine second ip (9v9+) spawning too close to the first? I can't count how many times i've noticed them practically touching each other, often enough with the phase or armory within bile range, and devastating the marine team as gorge.
    I believe it's the map makers that need to place the valid spawning locations, otherwise it picks a random spot.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    What does the Resource loading option do? The description is very vague.

While I agree XP is dead and the solution is not using XP, NS2 does still list XP as a supported OS on the Steam Store, so it should be supported regardless, even though even Microsoft doesn't.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    that shouldn't be of an issue though. it's trivial to check the distance between two points (1st ip location, potential 2nd ip location) to see if it's greater than X.
  • xzeroxzero Join Date: 2013-09-13 Member: 188199Members
    although kodiak looked awesome.. it wasnt a good map.. and no one wants to play it ever. NS2 needs a couple of good new maps imho!
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    edited December 2014
    In the future update, can you guys please set up Mineshaft so that aliens never start in Cave? Cave is way too far away from anything, and it's way too easy to cut off by aggressive marines. My experience that a Cave start almost always results in a loss.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    This is a great update.

My fps went from 40-110 to a stable >110.. on my laptop. Also my ping in a full server where I usually get 190-200 ping, is now 160.

There's a few more glitches, but these benefits outweigh them. Sometimes when there's a team of aliens they're invisible and all suddenly appear at once. There's a strange collision glitch too when running after arcs in a high ping server.
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    For me, the mouse to screen input lag that was always from the first public version disappeared!!! Game runs way more smoothly. 0_0
  • AlunduynAlunduyn Italy Join Date: 2014-12-05 Member: 199963Members
    What is this exactly meaning? I can't sort it out (slowpoke alert)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    lwf wrote: »
    What does the Resource loading option do? The description is very vague.

While I agree XP is dead and the solution is not using XP, NS2 does still list XP as a supported OS on the Steam Store, so it should be supported regardless, even though even Microsoft doesn't.

@lwf turn it up if you have an SSD, down if you have an HDD. Assigns more threads to load stuff faster, which will actually make it slower unless you have an SSD, at least that's my understanding.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Alunduyn wrote: »
    What is this exactly meaning? I can't sort it out (slowpoke alert)
    It means you can now use the steam server browser to directly join a ns2 server. Just open it via Steam ->View -> Servers. And search after NS2 servers ;)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    If steam is down, servers and clients will use already downloaded mods – if the client has the same version of a mod as the server, the client will be able to connect and play even when steam is down.

:x
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    How about:
    - Fixed that marines no longer jump higher than Skulks.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited December 2014
    Dat menu music though.

I still think the old music (aka, the current non-seasonal one) is worse than the old old music.
  • blob_91blob_91 USA Join Date: 2014-08-20 Member: 198033Members
    Please, please, please fix the "Waiting for slot" window. This has been frustrating me for so long. It should work just like TF2 does. For example, If you second in queue and a spot opens up, the person first in queue should get in and the person second in queue should be moved up to the number 1 slot. Currently in NS2, if you are not in the number 1 queue spot, the game will attempt to connect you to the server, determine that the number 1 guy gets in, kicks you out, and then says the server is full. Then you have to join the queue again and hope you get the number 1 spot. This is so annoying, especially if you want to get into one of your favorite servers. Please fix this. Thanks! [-O<
  • artemartem Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159587Members
    Thank you very much for your work!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @blob_91‌
    Just use steam's server Brower feature now.
    It will auto retry every few seconds, and if you already have the game open, when a spot opens you have a really good chance of getting in.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    And yet our XP 32bit problems still un-solve after 3 patch ..... =='
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    xzero wrote: »
    although kodiak looked awesome.. it wasnt a good map.. and no one wants to play it ever. NS2 needs a couple of good new maps imho!

While i agree it needs a few balance changes to make it more playable (all the damn dead ends!)
    It's definitely a good map, I have had nothing but good games on it whenever people don't automatically "CHANGE MAP CHANGE MAP EWWW KODIAK".
    except for maybe one time when nobody had any idea wtf went where, but my point stands...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »
    And yet our XP 32bit problems still un-solve after 3 patch ..... =='

We are still working on 32bit XP, more info will be given in the future when we have some. Reminder that 32bit Vista and 64bit XP does work fine, it's specifically a 32bit XP issue we're trying to fix.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    i cant even join a server... lol it keeps saying shit about not having the required mods... any easy way to fix this? or do I have to delete and redownload everything for one patch?