Subnautica Wiki

dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
Hi devs,

I created a small Subnautica Wiki over at Wikia: http://subnautica.wikia.com/

Yes, I know there's already a Wiki you appear to maintain over at gamepedia: http://subnautica.gamepedia.com
But that site is part of Curse and I don't know if hacked or selling but two of my honeypot accounts have been showing I'm getting spam from "them".
So I'd rather avoid anything Curse.

That said I never created a Wiki yet - but I believe the foundation is there. If you do not want another Wiki to be out there and fans mainly contribute to the one on Gamepedia I'll take it down imediately.

Also I used some Subnautica graphics here and there - I believe it fits the mood better - but I'd rather ask before.

EDITS:
2014-12-17+18: Content, edits, took away some depth in the categories (Flora, Fauna) to make it easier to adjust to content changes in the game.
2014-12-16: Another 100 edits. Stumbled across DNA and tested it. Added to Attributes and Life-Forms
2014-12-15: More additions and categorization tweaks. Added tables, made food table sortable, added lots of pages, adding pictures to everything. SEA is close!
2014-12-14: Now that it got approval I took some time to make it fit for SEA. Added and adjusted categories, tables and structure. Comment below
2014-11-30: If it get's the approval of the devs I'd invite anyone willing to contribute to it. The main structure should be there - it's only a matter of adding more and deeper content and make it pretty :)

Comments

• Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well you've already done pretty good! i hadn't heard of the lost river zone.
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    edited November 2014
    A lot of stuff is still hidden in the games files. :) I found ten color codes and a list of ten biomes but I haven't figured out which one matches what specific biome. With time and effort we'll find out ;P

Currently the biome map features 9 colors out of the 10 color codes I found. Since it lacks the two lava zones there could be even more than 10 biomes.
    edited December 2014
    Added more content but still no go. Can I just assume no answer means it's fine? :P
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    yeah i think we're 100% cool with it :P
    Good to hear that! :P

Since SEA release is very close now I'd like to mention that I overhauled a lot of stuff, added more categories and a few tables to make it easier for players to browse the content and understand the game. I also added a small newbie guide and I hope MycroftCanadaNS will turn it into a starting out video.

Since the SEA goes live tomorrow I'll have today and probably some time of tomorrow left to finish some things up and fill a few red links. 534 edits so far...
    Doing things like renaming the cute Bladderfish into Airsack don't really help keeping this number low :) But that's a great thing with Subnautica: things really move fast

By the way: this is a Wiki, not my whatever - means whoever want's to contribute feel free to do so. There are still a few big questionmarks (like the grand reef biome ;) *cough*) and red links to be filled.

Eventually I'll post a thread about it on the steam forums too - so that new players have a place to look up how to get things done without commandline cheats. :)
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The wiki got mentioned on the subnautica twitter.
    Oh, thats neat :)

But SEA is close! Made another 100 edits or so.

Browsing should be getting easier due to categorization tweaks. I also added tables, made food table sortable, added lots of pages, content, images... and still so many red links... :)

I've started wondering about Biomes though. As SEA get's closer I can not feel a strong presence of the Safe Shallows anymore. So much kelp and reefs - since I was never able to identify the Grand Reef biome... could that be it?
    If I'd have to guess I'd say Gaspods are at home in the Grand Reef. Which would explain the depth (up to 75m) without kelp. Mhh
    Another 100 edits later I stumbled across something neat: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/DNA

Can't wait to see the progress on this ;)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    You're doing good on the wiki so far.

I just found out about this

640?cb=20141216234553
    Crab oarfish shark thing....? because of the wiki!

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2014
    I'd like to chain that creature to my submarine and name it Phillip
    edited December 2014
    Yeah that guy looks creepy and fast :) It also looks like it's not easy to escape his grip once caught.

On the wiki: More edits, images, content pages - right now thinking about Biomes.

I've looked through some game and concept files and apparently Safe Shallows is much bigger than I initially thought.

To make sure edits can keep up with the crazy fast progress of the game I believe I'll expand the main tables of e.g. life-forms etc. and thus make it easier to respond to rapid changes in the content.

Speaking of changes, or rather progress - here are the numbers of views for the last 7 days. I'd say Subnautica has garnered some attention if the Wiki see's these numbers :O
    sn_wikia_stats.png
    Woah. Thats alot of views on the wiki. Congrats.
    I thought it'd be good to be prepared for SEA but those numbers were a surprise. :P
    It's still going strong by the way, about 2.4k hits.

Aside from new content and edits (73 pages and almost 1k edits now) I finally got rid of all red-links on the index page and cleaned up the content navigation. :)
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Hope you don't mind me adding some stuff anonymously, lol-- mainly just proofreading and a few clarifications here and there :P
    Absolutely not, on the contrary - anonymous or not - this is how a Wiki is supposed to work! :) It's great to see it come alive and I'm thankful for others to edit (and correct spelling etc. :P ).

One tip I have for everyone inteding to edit in details of life-forms, materials and such. Currently the game is still rapidly changing in big ways.
    Thus I realized it's best to try and use the tables inside the categories for that sort of information. Mostly biome info for example. That avoids having to re-edit a lot of pages.

That aside it's great to see that the Wiki has gained a couple new users and contributions. It's being visited fairly often as well, seeing about 2k views every day so far.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
  • runeknrunekn Danmark Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199117Members
    edited December 2014
    Thought I'll add the Shock eel and Sea treader to life forms. :)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Superb work on the Wiki. We'll be keeping you busy with updates ;)
    I look forward to it obraxis :P already have quite some work to do on it because of the update
    Just a quick update as I'm back from winter break / vacation. I'll try to make some more edits over the weekend to update things after patch 8.

But first of all thanks for really making it a Wiki (as in everyone editing it). :)

And one more thing - here are some updated stats (17 days are missing)
    sn_wikia_stats_02.png
    It shows that the Wiki gets about 1300 views every day on average! I think that's awesome, especially considering that SN is still early access and single player only.
    Definitely less views unfortunately but that is to be expected

Need a page deleted on the wiki by the way... Young folk got up to some mischief