Crashing on Launch - "Builder.exe has stopped working"

ColossalColossal USA Join Date: 2014-12-14 Member: 200042Members
Launching immediately greets me with "Builder.exe has stopped working". Closing it will relaunch, only for the same thing to happen. It does this endlessly, and I can't play the game due to it (clicking on what I assume is the main window causes that to stop working).

Rough specs 780, 4gb ram (a few sticks died, sue me), i7 something, Windows 7 64bit. I can run it.

Comments

• MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Do you have anything in your My Documents directory (typically something like c:\Users\Max\Documents\FuturePerfect)?

The game launches a few instances of the Builder.exe process on startup which is responsible for "building" any assets you add to the game. It sounds like maybe it's encountering an asset that's causing it to crash. If there is a file that's causing it to happen, if you post the file I should be able to debug it and fix the issue.
  • ColossalColossal USA Join Date: 2014-12-14 Member: 200042Members
    edited December 2014
    Nothing in that folder.

EDIT: I should note, I've reinstalled twice and verified the game cache, so those don't work.
    Okay so could I just get a refund, then?
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    @Colossal Hey mate, I feel your frustration but before you rush off into the sunset with your refund money you have to understand the nature of something in such early development... there's going to be bugs, the devs are listening and actively trying to fix this stuff. Try give as much detail as possible, you've not given devs a huge amount to work with. Full system specs, how far do you get into launching the game exactly.

you say clicking on the window causes the game to crash? do you see the orange main menu screen?

Seems odd that the build.exe would crash on boot up... I don't know but maybe you are running the game through steam?

Try verifying the integrity of the game in steam, running the game.exe as an administrator outside of steam, checking your anti virus causing the issue etc. Also try the beta branch if you're not already.

Walking a way without finding the issue is an opportunity missed for making the experience better for everyone.
    edited December 2014
    The specs I listed are enough. It crashes immediately after launching, no menu.

And yes, I'm using Steam because there's no other way to play the game? I even said I tried verifying the game cache. Antivirus isn't conflicting with anything, beta just makes it crash faster.

I understand that it's early access but if it doesn't even launch then I'd like think I'm entitled to a refund.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    If you'd like a refund support@humblebundle.com should be able to help you.

If you specify -log_verbose=2 on the command line when running the game it will output some detailed information into %appdata%\FuturePerfect\log.txt which might help us diagnose the problem.
    Date: 12/16/14
    Time: 14:36:10
    Build Dec 6 2014 12:32:22
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    PhysX: Cuda initialized
    Steam initialized
    Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    Direct3D 11 initialized [feature level 11.0] (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780)
    eventSystem->init (A socket error occurred. This is a catch-all for socket-related errors not listed elsewhere. )
    Sound Device: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi) 5.1
    Record Device: Headset Microphone (Razer Kraken 7.1)
    This error:
    eventSystem->init (A socket error occurred. This is a catch-all for socket-related errors not listed elsewhere. )
    suggests there may be two copies of the game running. Is that the case?

As far as I can tell, no. Task manager lists it once and if I recall correctly, Steam tends to prevent that from happening.
    I've added some additional logging into the build in the "beta" branch. If you get an opportunity, could you try that out with -log_verbose=2
    I apologize for the slow movement in resolving this. I'm really baffled at what could be happening here (even if Builder.exe crashes for some reason, it shouldn't affect the game).
    edited December 2014
    Switched to the beta branch:
    dBGkt.png
    (including the image so you know I'm not talking out my ass)
    Date: 12/19/14
    Time: 18:02:25
    Build Dec 19 2014 10:30:15
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    PhysX: Cuda initialized
    Steam initialized
    Direct3D 11 initialized [feature level 11.0] (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780)
    Sound Device: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi) 5.1
    Record Device: Headset Microphone (Razer Kraken 7.1)

It looks like less, actually. However there was a change this time: when Builder.exe stopped responding it gave me an option to wait for it to respond. I let it sit for a few minutes and eventually, after approximately six and a half minutes, it actually got to the menu.

Going to switch back and see if I get the same result.

Update: Switched to normal build and I was never given the option to wait for responsiveness. So there's that. Still, ~6.5 minutes is ridiculous so I'd still like to get this fixed.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Have you checked the anti-virus is not checking it when it runs? I don't have this issue myself, but have had issues with other apps in then past that took forever to load because AV was scanning them. Not a definite solution but something to consider.
    I did check, that's not the issue.
    Sorry, I made a mistake earlier. The command line to run is -log_verbose 2

This should add extra info the log.
    Really long so I just puushed it (click here)

Also in regards to the forum, the yellow text on the orange is really baaaaad.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thank you for providing useful info @Colossal‌
    And just to remind you, if you were not able to read all of the FAQ and warnings before purchasing :

"Q: Should I buy this game?

You should only buy Future Perfect right now if you like playing in, breaking, and messing about with unfinished games. Future Perfect is not a finished game. If you are interested in Future Perfect, but only want to buy a finished game, sign up to be notified when it is finished, or add the game to your Steam wishlist!"

The game will definitely be broken more than it will be working, for quite some time. This is very early development.
    You participating in playing it as well as providing the useful data you have been, and any suggestions you may have, is you taking full advantage of being part of the "Architect Edition" and shaping the game. :)
    How am I participating in playing it when it doesn't even launch? How does that work, exactly?