Comment thread: Future Perfect Update 3?

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Comment on the blog update here.

Comments

• BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The video features a spawner platform. I guess its just some place holder model attached to/located at the spawner script component, but it made me wonder if there is/should be a mechanism to assign a model that is displayed in edit mode only, i.e. to distinguish different spawners or different scripts.

Also I'd like to ask what format a 3D modelling program should be able to export so the model is usable in FP? .dae? .max? With the upcoming winter sale in mind I was browsing the steam store and stumbled over a program that exports .sia, .sib, .obj, .3ds, .dxf, .fac, .stl, .pov, and .rib. Is any of this usable for FP?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I had just finalised my plans to make a chinese room type game in fp and now you release this teaser. Sometimes I think you are reading my mind through your games... :D
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Brute wrote: »
    The video features a spawner platform. I guess its just some place holder model attached to/located at the spawner script component, but it made me wonder if there is/should be a mechanism to assign a model that is displayed in edit mode only, i.e. to distinguish different spawners or different scripts.

Also I'd like to ask what format a 3D modelling program should be able to export so the model is usable in FP? .dae? .max? With the upcoming winter sale in mind I was browsing the steam store and stumbled over a program that exports .sia, .sib, .obj, .3ds, .dxf, .fac, .stl, .pov, and .rib. Is any of this usable for FP?

FBX. Which should cover any popular 3D modelling package you might care to use, including Blender.

• MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Brute wrote: »
    We've been thinking about models that are only visible in the editor, but we haven't decided on the best way to do it. A few of the options: a flag on the Model component, a new type of component, use a script to delete/hide the Model component when the entity is created, or a visibility setting on an entity.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    From personal experience, visibility was at the base component level in every entity, so you could make any entity viewable in editor, game or not at all. I found that to be very helpful.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited December 2014
    Since i haven't asked you yet:
    Linux Ver ETA?
    Other than that, looking like this is growing quite well.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We haven't discussed a Linux version yet.