Subnautica Dev Update 6: Here comes SEA - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Dev Update 6: Here comes SEA - Subnautica

It’s all fun and games setting deadlines – “Oh sure, we can do all that stuff in one month! One month is forever!” One month sure doesn’t feel like forever...

Read the full story here

Comments

• MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to.. Oh wait, I was beaten to it :D
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    When are we going to be able to save the game? I don't have a big enough chunk of time right now to get very far.

Also, do the new stalkers have turning animations? They look like they are spinning on their axis.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The new barracuda stalkers fit more with the shallow seas theme.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Looks really awesome, I enjoy reading these blogs as it develops
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited December 2014
    moultano wrote: »
    When are we going to be able to save the game? I don't have a big enough chunk of time right now to get very far.

From the last post about the save game feature, it will be here in a month or two.

From past experience that will be the number one question on steam on the 16th of this month, so they had better be ready for the onslaught because we all know how nasty Steam users can be.

• dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    Yeah, I hope Steam users won't be too harsh with the game. A positive thing is the amount of updates the devs are putting out there. That should work with most people who're interested in games like SN.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    moultano wrote: »

From the last post about the save game feature, it will be here in a month or two.

From past experience that will be the number one question on steam on the 16th of this month, so they had better be ready for the onslaught because we all know how nasty Steam users can be.

Could there be a stupid simple one that just saves your inventory and built vehicles when you enter the life pod? I understand that the environment is probably changing a lot, but the life pod could function as a save point.
  • vodny_czvodny_cz Czech Republic Join Date: 2014-11-29 Member: 199877Members
    :-bd for screenshot mode. It would be nice, if it was combined with god mode (spectator mode), because it's hard to get some nice shots if you are limited by the gameplay mechanics (air, stalkers etc.).
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    vodny_cz wrote: »
    :-bd for screenshot mode. It would be nice, if it was combined with god mode (spectator mode), because it's hard to get some nice shots if you are limited by the gameplay mechanics (air, stalkers etc.).
    Currently there are the dev cheat commands that are still in the game. You can bring up the console and type "oxygen" to have unlimited oxygen supply. I also requested a cheat to not take damage the other day, since I am taking screenshots for the Steam Early Access release, and for that one you can type "nodamage" and it should make it so you don't take damage from creatures or any other environmental hazards. Playing in Freedom mode will make it so you don't need to worry about hunger and stuff.

And I'm hoping we can eventually get a spectator mode added eventually as well. That was always handy for taking screenshots for NS2.
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members
    edited December 2014
    You can play floaters with gasopods in this build. They are like sea puppies.
    hx3jhP8.jpg
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    You didn't place the two floaters like this on purpose, right? :)

Fun observation though. I wonder if this will work of reefbacks later. ;)
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members
    edited December 2014
    dottedfish wrote: »
    You didn't place the two floaters like this on purpose, right? :)

How could you even think that.
    dottedfish wrote: »
    Fun observation though. I wonder if this will work of reefbacks later. ;)

It works on everything that floats. Reefbacks, stalkers, peepers etc. I was actually able to stand on top of a reefback after stabilizing it with 4 floaters, although spinning uncontrollably.