ns2_veil - Discussion

2»

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Anzestral wrote: »
    Every importand vent in this map (except the nano vents and sub vent) is accessable as a single non-jetpacking marine...

Sky from West Junction
    bVNRzk0.jpg
    This one didnt work for me. Is there some kind of jump mechanic I'm missing? I can get over to the column against the wall easy enough, but I cannot enter the vent from the column.
    Sky from Topo
    i6Cqe1d.jpg
    Same thing here when trying to jump from power node. Only successful when jumping from blue box to wall to vent.
    Cargo
    u2pqHWy.jpg
    While this one worked, took sooo many tries first time, cant imagine it'd always make sense to do in a game. I'd sooner ask a marine to come boost me from the dome.

But awesome none-the-less! :D

I think (???) that I remember hearing or reading somewhere that marine jump height was reduced a tiny amount after strafe-jump was introduced, maybe why those entrances to those vents dont work anymore. Or maybe I just press space wrong.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members

Every importand vent in this map (except the nano vents and sub vent) is accessable as a single non-jetpacking marine...

Sky from West Junction
    bVNRzk0.jpg
    Sky from Topo
    i6Cqe1d.jpg
    Cargo
    u2pqHWy.jpg
    All these images while he's a filthy Lerk! Rub it in more, why don't you?!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Cargo
    u2pqHWy.jpg

That took me 15 minutes to do the first time, and another 15 to be able to do it reliably. Felt like playing dark souls. :/

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    moultano wrote: »
    Cargo
    u2pqHWy.jpg

That took me 15 minutes to do the first time, and another 15 to be able to do it reliably. Felt like playing dark souls. :/

I tried the other day. It was frustrating as fuck cause I just couldn't get it and Jekt kept swooping in as lerk and killing me so I yelled at him :D

• AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    ball2hi wrote: »
    All these images while he's a filthy Lerk! Rub it in more, why don't you?!
    Well, I wanted to go around quickly to take the screenshots :-P

Actually with a little practise all the vents (except Sky vent from West Junction, which is luck) are pretty easy.
    I made a little video where I take a tour around Veil using most vents.

• alf90alf90 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold
    Seems everyone else is giving their 2 cents on veil vents so i may as well.

I do think the vents at sky and cargo are too powerful and too easily abused.
    OK fair enough marines *can* get into the vent but whenever I gorge that sky vent I simply place a couple of hydras at the overlook, which means if i'm sitting bile bombing at sky, a marine cannot sneak into the vent behind me without me knowing, and a marine VS a gorge + hydras + clogs in that vent doesn't end well for that marine.
    Same applies to cargo.
    Im not saying the vents need totally changed, but i feel either making it more difficult to bile from the vents or making it easier to get into the vents (Like the old invisible ladder thing at skylights) would be beneficial.

Whilst on the subject, I find it odd that these vents are still in the game as they are, whereas nano vents where nerfed to hell with the addition of vent covers.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2014
  • GaroGaro Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33134Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @idera13 ever gonna publish his work??

1262055260350.jpg
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Veil best map 2014

Rockdown*
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2014

Here's how to jump the cargo vent.

How to get to skylights vent from overlook

How to get into west junction vent

Bonus jump in the dome to get away from onos in a flash.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    nizb0ag wrote: »

Here's how to jump the cargo vent.

That's the long way of doing it.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    @SantaClaws What is the faster way? the only other way is if you jump onto one of the other sides of the map, and in all cases this is the safest and fasted way of doing it, you can no longer jump onto just one of the crates like before then jump up (though i've done it once or twice since the updates it is very hard for the other way and in more cases you're actually not faster).

Oh if you mean crouch jumping on the edge of the lights up the top to gain massive speed? well that's simple, i just was in a hurry.
    How is your assignment going? and can you post your results or whole assignment here after you've submitted?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Benson wrote: »
    That does not look intended. and if it is, I preferred the slanted peice of metal I could slide up in skylights.

Considering how the collision stuff is done in the map, it probably is.

Besides : Long live VEIL5 !
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Besides : Long live VEIL5 !

Where did the spam flag go. Damnit moderators.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I don't like veil 5. It removes a lot of veil's uniqueness and replaces it with something I prefer not to play with.
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    veil 5 is gobshite

Well... do better.

Ho, yes... Nevermind...
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    are you its creator?