If you own the game, why not broadcast it via Steam beta.

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Hi.

It seems the new Steam beta is out for you to take part in which also means any game you play can be streamed relatively easy. You do not need a YT channel, or a Twitch account, it is done all through steam.

Now why post this here?

This is pointed toward those who happen to own the game, and who would take part in the steam beta to show off Subnautica while you play.

Here is a small video I made showing the Steam beta (very small video, you could have a cup of hot coco while you watch).

I can't watch my own videos (I only make them, I don't watch them), I dislike my voice.

Comments

• KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The other day I tried broadcasting a Subnautica session to a friend, but it wouldn't work. He kept being stuck in the buffering loop. No clue if that was due to some internet connectivity or that feature still being kinda broken.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited December 2014
    The other day I tried broadcasting a Subnautica session to a friend, but it wouldn't work. He kept being stuck in the buffering loop. No clue if that was due to some internet connectivity or that feature still being kinda broken.

Hard to say, steams streaming is still early. I had a couple of people watching the other day, but of course next to impossible to figure out what they may have seen. No one joined in the chat so no telling what is going on.

However I have been watching on a regular basis other streams so I know it's working well.
  • GarukorGarukor Österreich Join Date: 2014-11-21 Member: 199748Members
    Im currently streaming subnautica atleast 2 times a week on my twitch channel to find new things they added and to chill out a little bit.

But its not really on a regular time ;)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Did someone read the licence for this streaming software?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

I'm fairly confident in saying... NO! :P
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members

Are you asking a simple question or are you asking us to pay attention to a specific portion of the license itself?

Not sure what your actually asking outside of the obvious.

Cheers.
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    My upload isn't great. Otherwise I'd stream it. But twitch probably gives it more exposure than steam really.
  • CastleCastle New York Join Date: 2014-09-08 Member: 198307Members, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    edited December 2014
    I have been messing around with the streaming service myself. One thing I have noticed is that when I am in the editor its possible that steam knows I am working with the game somehow which is strange. I have zero issues with live streaming stuff in the editor once in awhile but it is a strange concept imho.
    edited December 2014
    dottedfish wrote: »
    My upload isn't great. Otherwise I'd stream it. But twitch probably gives it more exposure than steam really.

Since Steam has allowed this I take a look at games I wish to buy instead of watching anything on youtube because simply put they can edit out the parts which are bugged. This way I get to see the game first hand.

This will work rather well for the Steam Release of Subnautica. On that day I'll be streaming via Steam for a good part of the day to help out.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Great idea. We would love it you guys did this!

I'm going to try to steam my playtests as well, although I'm not sure how that works with Unity (ie, working with a development version of the game before we upload it to Steam).
    edited December 2014
    I figured that might help those who wish to purchase the game when it's released to make their minds up if they should get it or not.

YT, and Twitch can only go so far, but have it live on steam while people are looking at the store page might give them what they are looking for.

-- edit --

What would really go far is on the day the game launches on steam, have a developer play, and stream the game on steam . The more people who watch, the higher in the list the video is.

Believe me this will be one heck of a great thing to see if a developer is playing online showing it off on the day it's released.

Cheers.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I am still doing it the old fashioned way - Streaming on Twitch, Uploading to you tube, and the adding it to the Subnautica Game channel videos.

I think it is good we are using as many different mediums as possible. I haven't tried steam broadcasting yet, and I don't know if it would be compatible with say, running a twitch stream at the same time. I suspect bandwidth would be the biggest issue on that.

Personally, I'll stick with Twitch for now, unless I can manage to dual stream, just because on Twitch you get access to people who may not even own a steam account.