We've Lost Our Marbles - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Confusing "beta engine 272-11" with "beta build" ? You're usually so precise.

• ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    It's all good and fun until I see the haters trying to grab hold of absolutely anything they can find to fire flak at us. Then it becomes hilarious. =))
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    All i want to say was:
    - There is no Wozza-CDT collaboration.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2222760/#Comment_2222760
    - You are not running a "beta engine"

But that is totally offtopic for sure, so, im sorry.

So back to topic now.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited November 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    And if your parents aren't playing NS2, as their offspring you're doing it wrong - my father is 60 and I have gotten him addicted to it. :D

That'll be all of us one day. Virtual reality though O.o
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even for my 9 year old brother?
    He'll have cooler stuff.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    BYB7MuT.png

Awesome, trick the masses! Defuse the clog! Counter gorges Win!

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    And if your parents aren't playing NS2, as their offspring you're doing it wrong - my father is 60 and I have gotten him addicted to it. :D

I would love to, but my parents are a) a bit older than that and b) super eco warriors. They do have a computer, but it's only switched on when they absolutely need it. The thought of a powerful gaming CPU and GPU in there would give them nightmares!
    Although they must be able to afford to run it, the solar panels they have pay for all their electric and gas bills over the year and then some!
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    My friends love this game , but unfortunatly he reads on Steam forums and find out NS2 allways have crash , performance problem >> So he said gonna buy other Steam game

Devs should fix this , or the game it self have a "bad reputation" about FPS and performance
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »
    My friends love this game , but unfortunatly he reads on Steam forums and find out NS2 allways have crash , performance problem >> So he said gonna buy other Steam game

Devs should fix this , or the game it self have a "bad reputation" about FPS and performance

I'm pretty sure we already have that reputation, it's something the Community Development Team are trying to improve. As for your friend, if he uses his Windows licence to install the 64bit version of Windows he will be able to run a lot more modern games as well as NS2 better.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Whilst the CDT have done a fantastic job since taking over, i don't see how they are going to cure NS2 of its bad reputation even if you get the game 100% stable and running at 200fps on everyone's pc.

The damage is done, the playerbase only increases when there's sales and then it drops sharply again, so sad.

But hey, the devs made their millions, might as well milk the sales for as long as possible i guess.

The game should of been made Free to Play when the average player figure dropped below 500 (a massive sign of failure for a MP game in my opinion).

Maybe one day.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Whilst the CDT have done a fantastic job since taking over, i don't see how they are going to cure NS2 of its bad reputation even if you get the game 100% stable and running at 200fps on everyone's pc.

The damage is done, the playerbase only increases when there's sales and then it drops sharply again, so sad.

I don't agree with the sentiment of the rest of your post, but this much is kinda true.

If increasing the playerbase of ns2 was the #1 objective, sales should have been fewer and further between. I don't think this was economically viable for UWE though so I can't blame them.

If an "all performance issues fixed"-type-relaunch ever happens, it would be really interesting to see what happens to player numbers. I bet a good portion will return; maybe there wouldnt be a boom in the stable playerbase that one might expect if the game hadn't been subject to endless steam sales that left the sour taste of 10fps in potential casual players mouths, but I would expect something good at least :)
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One other thing worth considering wrt the sales is. If a person invests the full price on a game, he is much more likely to stick around.

There's a common phenomenon you see with people who pre-order games, where they will furiously and often times irrationally defend the game no matter how poorly it's made, because they don't want to appear "foolish" for paying full price for a shitty game.

I'm not saying this is the case in NS2 (far from it), I'm just saying that I think it's fair to extrapolate, that if some of the people who had gotten NS2 from sales had paid the full price instead, some of them might have been more invested in the game today.

I wouldn't know the first thing about how to demonstrate whether this hypothesis is true or not. But I imagine that NS2 might very well have been hurt in the long run from the constant sales because of this.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    One other thing worth considering wrt the sales is. If a person invests the full price on a game, he is much more likely to stick around.

There's a common phenomenon you see with people who pre-order games, where they will furiously and often times irrationally defend the game no matter how poorly it's made, because they don't want to appear "foolish" for paying full price for a shitty game.

I'm not saying this is the case in NS2 (far from it), I'm just saying that I think it's fair to extrapolate, that if some of the people who had gotten NS2 from sales had paid the full price instead, some of them might have been more invested in the game today.

I wouldn't know the first thing about how to demonstrate whether this hypothesis is true or not. But I imagine that NS2 might very well have been hurt in the long run from the constant sales because of this.

On the other hand, who ACTUALLY pays full price for a game on steam after release? Especially if that game is a relative unknown. I just don't think enough people would have bought it between the suggested less-frequent sales to make any real positive difference.

Specifically referring to people who didn't play NS1. For those that did I don't think the price is really going to affect how long they stick around since they are already invested in the series.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    sotanaht wrote: »
    SantaClaws wrote: »

On the other hand, who ACTUALLY pays full price for a game on steam after release? Especially if that game is a relative unknown. I just don't think enough people would have bought it between the suggested less-frequent sales to make any real positive difference.

Specifically referring to people who didn't play NS1. For those that did I don't think the price is really going to affect how long they stick around since they are already invested in the series.
    I have no idea what the answer is to your question. I can only speak from my own behalf, when I say that I did not play NS1, and we bought the game during beta for full price. I can't for sure tell whether or not that had an impact on me sticking around. I just think it's a factor worth considering.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    NS2 took off exclusively because NS1 was free and UWE spent years building up a community. On its own and in the state it was in at "launch" or what was pretty much early access masquerading as a finished game it would have sunk despite being an absolutely fantastic title at it's core. Selling anything at full price without having a sh*t ton of hype and advertising behind it is very unlikely with steam sales and the likes of humble around. Times are very different now than they ware a few years ago. Take Combat and how many people think 15€ is an insane price. Heck, I rarely buy anything on its own at that price because it makes so much more sense to wait for a sale or pick it up in a bundle. As long as these sales and bundles make money for the developers I'd say it's gotten pretty good for us consumers and maybe even spoiled us a bit.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    sotanaht wrote: »
    On the other hand, who ACTUALLY pays full price for a game on steam after release?

Desperate Linux Gamers.
    @Maxx11_v2.0‌ - Was this directed at my comment, I don't want to write a lengthy response if it was not.
    I think he was just going over the mistakes that have been made, specifically marketing. Why? No clue.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    My comment was just stream of thoughts triggered by some of the comments in this thread.

To put it another way. Sitting on bus. 5 hours till destination (that ended up being 6 thanks to traffic). Needed to kill some time.