Obscure tips/tricks thread!

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
I'll get us started:

- If you are playing on a server with ns2+, and you have "auto weapon pickup" enabled, you can "drag" a dropped weapon to another location simply by holding down the drop weapon key as you move.

- Phantom aliens show up on the C map at all times, regardless of whether or not their cloak is active and they're standing still or not. Use those maps people!

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I'll get us started:

- If you are playing on a server with ns2+, and you have "auto weapon pickup" enabled, you can "drag" a dropped weapon to another location simply by holding down the drop weapon key as you move.

- Phantom aliens show up on the C map at all times, regardless of whether or not their cloak is active and they're standing still or not. Use those maps people!

Wasn't aware of the second one? is this intentional or a bug?

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I'll get us started:

Wasn't aware of the second one? is this intentional or a bug?

It's intentional, or so I'm told. Personally I don't agree with this, but hey, I'll happily use it as a marine.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It really doesn't make that much of a difference. If a marine walks through a doorway (with his map open) where a cloaked skulk was waiting for an ambush, hes probably dead before he has time to react.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    joshhh wrote: »
    It really doesn't make that much of a difference. If a marine walks through a doorway (with his map open) where a cloaked skulk was waiting for an ambush, hes probably dead before he has time to react.

Yea but sometimes it's not that close quarters. There have been a few times I used this to see skulks at the other end of the room who were just keeping tabs on it or setting up an ambush at the other doorway. From that far away, I probably wouldn't have seen them.

Also, IIRC, you'll see on the map any alien with line of sight to you, even if they're not in your field of view (ie behind you). Not a fan of this either, but there may be some technical reason prohibiting this from being any other way.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members

That's why in pubs you bait the player ahead of you after warning them. Mmmmmyes :wink:
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »

That's why in pubs you bait the player ahead of you after warning them. Mmmmmyes :wink:

Live bait works best!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    For some reason enemies also show up on your map if they're not within line of sight, but very close to you (i think this is the stipulation?). Particularly noticeable when there's someone hiding under the doorway to logistics on tram, and you walk through the doorway only to notice they appear on your map for a brief instant.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »

RapGod: Coast is clear, move in and check the other door way
    Marine 1: Roger, moving in

2 skulks go after the first marine

Marine 1: /oh god, the pain the pain, jump, strafe, firing wildly and dies.

RapGod: /pew pew pew gets 2 skulk kills

remind me never to play with either of you @RapGod @Benson lol.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    For some reason enemies also show up on your map if they're not within line of sight, but very close to you (i think this is the stipulation?). Particularly noticeable when there's someone hiding under the doorway to logistics on tram, and you walk through the doorway only to notice they appear on your map for a brief instant.

i believe this happens if there is a gap in geometry or prop spacing as well as certain textures like grates allowing skulks to be seen through, good example of this is vent under crossroads and computer lab on summit
  • WakelaggerWakelagger Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170906Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Holding left ctrl while wall jumping as a skulk will make any mistakes much less punishing as you will not lose speed from gripping to the wall.
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    -While playing as a skulk or fade, if you press jump twice you will automatically jump the next instance you touch the ground.
    sarcasm
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    Jumping as a Marine and then Hitting the Crouch button instantly makes you heavier and Fall faster.
    Not sure how.
    Lets call it a "Fat" button.

• EggOfAwesomeEggOfAwesome Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201139Members
    Eggs have taunts. You must know this for world domination.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Surprisingly some people don't know but if there's no-one around to weld you, welding a damaged marine structure will repair your armour.
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    You can identify any satanists on your server by losing all your energy while gliding and then looking straight up, becoming the messiah reborn. Glide into marine main base like this and identify any marines that shoot at you, then call up your local Spanish Inquisition and get some $$$.
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    edited February 2015
    1) Marines can use g-holes. It strips your armour. Haven't seen them used for some time, so is obscure enough? Also there is a map at c key you know, use it :p

2) Go for the farthest marine in the train, he's probably just coward looking for easy kill. Also marines before him glance after you, making themselves easy target for your doggy-pals.

3) Sometimes take a walk you lazy guys, those phase gates are ruining humanity :). I guarantee you will find sneaky tunnel (or tunneller) every time. Or fade ( sorry :p )

4) Be an annoying gorge from the vents and other hard to reach places. While marines are playing with you, let your team secure victory elsewhere. To help you with that, sometimes you can evolve in vents and tunnels (sometimes not).

5) Use pistol down long corridors. You'll deal more damage and still have loaded rifle if they decide to push.

6) Tip to myself: disable f.lux app before playing. You will suck terribly otherwise, and you will not know why.

I dont know... obscurity rating please!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    krOoze wrote: »
    1) Marines can use g-holes. It strips your armour. Haven't seen them used for some time, so is obscure enough? Also there is a map at c key you know, use it :p

2) Go for the farthest marine in the train, he's probably just coward looking for easy kill. Also marines before him glance after you, making themselves easy target for your doggy-pals.

3) Sometimes take a walk you lazy guys, those phase gates are ruining humanity :). I guarantee you will find sneaky tunnel (or tunneller) every time. Or fade ( sorry :p )

4) Be an annoying gorge from the vents and other hard to reach places. While marines are playing with you, let your team secure victory elsewhere. To help you with that, sometimes you can evolve in vents and tunnels (sometimes not).

5) Use pistol down long corridors. You'll deal more damage and still have loaded rifle if they decide to push.

6) Tip to myself: disable f.lux app before playing. You will suck terribly otherwise, and you will not know why.

I dont know... obscurity rating please!

for 4) if you hold down ctrl (the crouch key) you can evolve in some vent spots you couldn't previously. This is because in a confine space, your skulk might be sticking to the side of a vent and preventing you evolving. When you crouch (skulks don't crouch), but ctrl actually "unsticks" you.

I, um... what? What's a g-hole, and what is f.lux?
    edited February 2015
    gorge tunnel and application adjusting brightness and color of your monitor at night to be easy at your eyes. :)

7) Bind medpack and ammo request to different keys or you risk spamming your comm accidentaly.
    gorge tunnel and application adjusting brightness and color of your monitor at night to be easy at your eyes. :)

7) Bind medpack and ammo request to different keys or you risk spamming your comm accidentaly.

med and ammo are on different keys (default: Q for med and Z for ammo). @krOoze what drinks are they serving at the Onos Bar??
    I ment other than Q and Z. That is far from WSAD, you frantically mash during battle.
    Dunno, theres lot of bottles at the bar there. Something with Onos horn powder to increase potency perhaps? :)
    @krOoze oic. lol. Onos Horn powder. Playing with kb/m I wouldn't want the med and ammo key moved away. I need my mouse hand on the mouse, and my left on WASD. I bind my weld key on "I", and that is the reason I don't ask for welds often, I use my flash light ("F"). Taking your hand off the mouse or keyboard feels awkward.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    On the subject of keybinds-
    Unbind your scroll wheel from weapon switch and only use 12345 for weapons.
    No more accidentally switching to parasite when you want to not be on parasite :)

I have my flashlight/AV on scroll (Y)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    Using a macro you can turn your pistol into an smg.
    I had one commander who went crazy form "medpack medpack medpack medpack medpack medpack medpack" :)
    Taking your hand off the mouse or keyboard feels awkward.
    Thats how addiction starts :p

Using a macro you can turn your pistol into an smg.
    Nah, I can click fast on my own. In fact I tried it in mouse software editor - didn't work. Also tried to make "shoot parasite" macro(That would be awesome if game alloved key bind for that, hate that you need to "switch wepons") - didn't work either. I suck at cheating, I guess :D

8) If you use quick switch (default V key), watch for xenocide research. You don't want to xenocide yourself instead of parasite.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    Jumping onto stairs or sharp angles that dip down and jumping back off with give you a small speed boost. It's very minor but in some areas, it can actually speed you up getting somewhere.

When trying to kill a skulk dancing around an RT, bait going one direction then quickly snap to the other and you'll have a visible shot. Very easy method to take out skulks on RTs.

Blinking up as a fade then blinking down and fade "hopping" when reaching the ground will give you a massive speed boost. Use it in areas with high ceilings to make yourself really hard to hit and to maintain a lot of momentum.
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One commander thing I have been using recently: When you have phasegate tech, build a robotics factory in your base. Whenever you need to build/rebuild a phasegate quickly, tell your marines to skip the power node and just build the PG, then use the power surge drop to get it working before the power node is up. Can be very helpful, esp. when you want to get a quick nano gate up before the aliens even have the time to react.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members

Once I stayed in the semi-destroyed tunnel. When George rebuilt his tunnel, he immediately got an unpleasant surprise from it.
    devel wrote: »

Once I stayed in the semi-destroyed tunnel. When George rebuilt his tunnel, he immediately got an unpleasant surprise from it.

Vid or it didn't happen... (Please???? :D)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    When marines jump uphill they get a speed boost, so chaining jumps on continually higher surfaces brings a big speed boost. Aliens get a boost downhill..