[Linux] Natural Selection 2 keeps crashing when shooting.

13»

Comments

• rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've created the mod to fix it. Please try it and say if it helps.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Yes, it is better without ricochetHeavy.cinematic: does not crash in tutorial.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    Yesterday a friend of mine managed to solve the issue for himself. He was crashing after shooting any gun, even LMG which was never an issue for me. He has GTX 760 with 2 Gb of VRAM and after setting the Texture Handling to 1.5 (instead of "Off") this was kinda fixed. He played several rounds in a row without crashes. The autodetection of this setting is bad after all. I had lots of crashes when it was introduced but they were all gone after I set it to my actual VRAM minus 512 Mb, i.e. 1.5 Gb in my case as well.
    P.S. this solution doesn't mean the shotgun is fixed, the game will crash with the default ricochetHeavy cinematic from time to time but you'll be able to play much more before it happens.
  • warpedwarped Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186617Members
    Just tested this with a server running your mod rkfg.

Like you said, initially my game crashed when shooting the LMG. Running High textures and 2GB handling. This happened only once after joining the server for the first time, hasn't happened since. The shotgun fix has seemed to of work however. I played for far longer than I usually would before it was applied, especially when facing Lerks. Which ALWAYS crashed for me, without fail.
    Hmm, never heard about crashes when facing a Lerk. That's something new. Can you provide a GDB backtrace on this Lerk crash? And also, have you lowered the Texture Handling settings to 1.5 Gb? It doesn't affect graphics that much but definitely reduces (or even eliminates) crashes. Setting it to 512 Mb causes lots of texture reloading, e.g. at spawning when the "camera" jumps to another part of the map and the texture manager has to load the hive and eggs textures. But with 1-1.5 Gb you should be just fine.
  • warpedwarped Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186617Members
    The 'Lerk' crash might not be related to Lerks at all. Just a timing thing since shotguns usually come out around the same time as Lerks do, and is the first time i'm using them.
    But my crashing only ever occurred when shooting Shotgun, which seems fixed now with your mod.
    Ok, let's stick to this assumption then. You'll greatly help the entire community if you ask the admin of your favorite server to install this mod, even though it's only a temporary workaround. It's already up and running on the Russia #1/#2 and Russia PRO #1/#2 servers.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Any other crash that you experience than the shotgun crash is probably totally unrelated. are the repro steps? Any specific action that triggers it?
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    I got the mod installed on one of my local servers and haven't noticed any shotgun-related crashes since.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    ceribik wrote: »
    I got the mod installed on one of my local servers and haven't noticed any shotgun-related crashes since.

That is good news. the next patch will include this fix. if any other crashes have reproduction steps, please write them down. This one took some time, but thanks to the collaborative effort of the community the reason could be found and fixed.