Get the Dev Team Together to Experience Survival.

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Hi.

I know I have harped enough about survival, and this might be the last of my talk about it.

I was thinking to get a better or more broad range of knowledge to draw from I was thinking having the entire team get together, and experience UrW, or other games to see what would work best for SubNautica as far as survival is concerned.

My first suggestion would be Unreal World. The game can be downloaded for free, or you can submit donations. This game would be my first choice, and it is a fantastic way to see how you folks might wish to implement survival into the game.

I won't post a link because for some reason or other it doesn't feel quite right to do that.

Just a quick thought... Now back to Subnautica.

Comments

• CastleCastle New York Join Date: 2014-09-08 Member: 198307Members, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    For the record, I have loved survival style game play for many years!
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    Castle wrote: »
    For the record, I have loved survival style game play for many years!

Right On.

Once it has it's hooks into you, it's hard to play a game without it.

Cheers.
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members
    When I read the title I though it would be about getting the dev team to go on a real world survival camp. It would be a neat idea.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I thought you meant send the Subnautica team out into the bush. Each of us would have only a knife, a box of matches, and a swag. We would then have to survive for 7 days, and report back on our experience.

I would be all for this!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Would there be spiders? If so, count me out.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    When you come back from survival with a new update, I'll probably be no longer be able to catch the small fish with my hand. Construction allows a harpoon and the emergency pod will hold a cooking device. Roaming predators will appear in the game to force me hiding in the tunnels and holes like those small scary fishes until the predators pass by. At least until I dive through a tunnel to face an incoming eel. Panicing I dive out and into another cave where the tentacles of an octopus finally enclose me. I'm able to emergency release all my stuff including tanks and activate the sea glide to pull me out. With no air to breathe I rise to the surface much too fast and finally collapse from saturation sickness.

Then I wake up in my pod and must have dreamed. Just to be sure I open the options, section survival and turn off roaming predators, because that was too much for me. I grab for the harpoon and come up empty, remembering all stuff was left in that cave. Now I eat those seaplants until my energy is all used up and I have to do deep dives to find those resources for enough energy. I finally find some digging place for power resources and start knocking them off. The knocking sound must have attracted something big. I'm hearing an awful underwater sound getting more frequent. I hurry to get finished before I creep out. Finished ... now out of here. To be sure I don't carry the stuff with me that slows me down, but put it in a transport balloon that rises to the surface. On my way up I now hear that sound again and turn around to see a whale appearing out of the blue in no time.

I wake up again. I give up and turn off the predator option for predators attracted by blood and sound, so I won't have to tell the tale about day 3, where I was hunted down from bleeding.
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    reminds me a lil bit of this new pc game about War, the constant struggle for cigarettes and lipstick

but as far as we all know Hugh´s clothingbehaivor,
    he´s most likely going to tell the wild animals that he´s dangerous and poisonous through his neon colorcoding,
    resulting in each animal taking a run for the nearest city to hide in.