Future of the Reinforcement Program - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    as a special edition supporter you have my support to go one up and release a reinforcement pack with the black ops marine model
    As a fellow special edition owner, just no. I veto this suggestion.

I'm fine with the reinforcement stuff being integrated into DLCs, though I'm skeptical of how well it would sell.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I never bought the shadow pack to feel more exclusive to be honest. I bought it because I believed in the cause, the skins were just perks. As such, I wouldn't mind at all if all the shadow skins would be packed together in a DLC for $6. I think it's the next logical step to do.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i would like a faultline dlc that adds

. knife
    . ns1 style rifle
    . old fade
    . faultline shoulder badge
  • JemoJemo PL Join Date: 2014-11-16 Member: 199681Members
    I'm a lower that shadow supporter, so not sure if my votes counts fully in this one;) but i think its a great idea to make more DLCs. Most of the ppl didnt get the supporter badges to get new stuff but just to support the project:)
    When i saw the Reaper DLC my thoughts were- support NS AND get some ubercool stuff (i love Rantology's work - they're great!)? I'm so on it:D

I think you could make some kind of "last minute" for the shadow pack and make an action like "last chance for getting those as we're closing the RP" - I'm sure there will be some ppl buying these :)

good luck!
  • FultreFultre Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183533Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi Team,

I've purchased deluxe edition, shadow, gold, silver, kodiak and reaper. Some of these I've purchased for skins but most as donation, because NS2 is my all time favourite game and UWE guys rock!

Please proceed, anything to fund this game further into the exciting future!

Cheers,
    Fultre
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I need shadow fade!
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neoken wrote: »
    I never bought the shadow pack to feel more exclusive to be honest. I bought it because I believed in the cause, the skins were just perks. As such, I wouldn't mind at all if all the shadow skins would be packed together in a DLC for $6. I think it's the next logical step to do.
    This. As a buyer of the shadow tier I have no issues whatsoever.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited November 2014
    I purchased the $40 tier, and I'm sorry to admit the Reinforcement Program has been a significant disappointment for me.

I saw it as a good way to invest in the future of NS2. I pay a fair amount of money, and in return we get continued updates and new content. A kickstarter for future content. As it happens, the program was only half successful and we got continued updates, but not new content. I can understand this, as UWE is a business and needs to earn revenue somehow. But the fundamental difference between the way this was handled, and a kickstarter, is that kickstarter doesn't charge you unless the crowdfunding campaign is successful. So now I feel like my investment was essentially a donation. I never cared about the skins to begin with, the incentive for me was to see more NS2 maps, weapons, and gameplay opportunities.

I think this problem could have been avoided altogether if UWE had pursued a free to play option for NS2, funded by microtransations. The reason CS:GO has exploded in popularity post launch is the introduction of an in-game economy with weapon skins. There's no reason this same formula couldn't have worked for NS2.

I'm left to wonder if it's possible that UWE just lost interest in the project after working on it for 5+ years. Subnautica looks great, so I bought into the earliest access for it. Consider me a strong fan, but I'm slightly disappointed in the way NS2 was handled. We received two solid updates in a year, and now it seems to be languishing. A resurgence for the game will require a new monetization model, as well as new content up to the same standard that UWE produced.

As for selling the reinforcement program skins on Steam? Go for it. I just wanted to express my general frustration regarding the program's failure.

Also, I think splitting NS2: Combat into a separate game was a huge mistake. You should never segment an already tiny community.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    For the amount of hours ive played ns2, the game is honestly worth the £100 ive payed in DLC and shadow tier costs. Its cool to think that that UWE is looking forward with ns2 and not forgetting it. Damn, id probably pay another £50 for some more cool shit, keep the skins coming :]
  • TibbsTibbs Join Date: 2013-02-10 Member: 182965Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm all for ending the reinforcement program, even though I hardly donated much, pretty sure I would buy the stuff once it is available on the steam store.

I do feel that no longer offering some of the stuff available in the various tiers is a mistake, I think it would be better if they were broken up into several DLCs instead. It will also look odd if the shadow skulk is available, and in the future perhaps also the shadow fade and shadow onos, but not the shadow gorge and shadow lerk. Consistency please, especially since the aliens do not have many skins to choose from as it is.

Also, you should have a look at the Deluxe Edition offered on steam, currently for 13,99€, isn't that way too expensive for what you get? Would it not be better to break up the Deluxe Edition and put parts of it into DLC packs, or at least convert the Deluxe Edition to DLC and slash the price? Another thing that would be really odd is that the Deluxe Edition currently offers the original game soundtrack, while this new pack would offer the expanded soundtrack. Why would you offer two different versions of the same thing on the store? Have the expanded sountrack be available from one purchase only and retire the older soundtrack.

If I were to divide the various stuff available for NS2 into DLCs it would look something like this:

Reaper Pack: Keep this one as it currently is, although I would like to see reaper versions of the gorge toys available, same as the shadow toys that currently exist.

Kodiak Pack: Keep this one as it currently is.

Shadow Pack: Contains the shadow skulk, gorge and lerk skins. Would also contain the shadow fade and shadow onos skins once/if they become available.

"Marine Shoulder Decal Pack": (working name) Would contain the "Decal on Marine Shoulder Pad" from the reinforcement gold and diamond tier as well as the "Elite Decal on Marine Shoulder Pad" from the shadow tier. I would also recommend to make some more marine shoulder decals and include them in this pack, I'm sure that there are tons of fun ideas. This pack would be cheaper than other packs, perhaps 1-3€ or something like that.

"Extra Content Pack": (working name): Would contain the Expanded Soundtrack (the older soundtrack from the Deluxe Edition would no longer be available), Digital Art Book (maybe update this one a tiny bit, correct typos and so on) and the Exclusive Wallpapers and Avatars (Maybe expand and update these with the new stuff, perhaps even include a lot of the concept art that is shown on the loading screens in game. I would include all of the high quality art stuff that is currently available from any UWE sources, packaged in a nice way).

The question is what to do with the "Assault Marine skin", "Elite Assault marine skin" and the "Deluxe Edition marine skin". Do you offer them together as a pack? Do you sell them one by one at a reduced price? I do think it is a good idea to offer DLCs at different price points, anywhere from 1€-6€. Also splitting them up allows people to pick and choose from what they want. I am in favour of selling them separately at a lower price for each one, perhaps 2-3€.

So what would happen with all of the other stuff? It would be retired and no longer available for purchase (still available for previous buyers). That means the Deluxe Edition (in its current form, not the actual content) would be removed from the steam page. The supporter badges would no longer be available (they would no longer make sense to have), nor would the Exclusive Marine Taunt from the shadow tier (no way to fit this into any DLC in a good way, it is a very odd thing to purchase).

The good thing about doing it this way is that you could send steam keys for each thing to every reinforcment program contributer for the stuff that gets moved to steam:
    Supporter Badge tier would get nothing, you lose, good day sir.
    Silver Badge tier would get the "Extra Content Pack".
    Gold Badge tier would get the "Extra Content Pack" and "Marine Shoulder Decal Pack".
    Diamond Badge tier would get the "Extra Content Pack", "Marine Shoulder Decal Pack" and "Assault Marine skin".
    Shadow Badge tier would get the "Shadow Pack", "Extra Content Pack", "Marine Shoulder Decal Pack", "Assault Marine skin" and "Elite Assault marine skin".
    Onos Badge tier would get the same as the Shadow Badge tier.

The people who bought the "Deluxe Edition" on Steam would be credited with the "Extra Content Pack" and "Deluxe Edition marine skin", if there needs to be a conversion to a new system or so.

Doing it this way means that nobody should "lose" anything when being converted to a DLC system if they previously owned either a reinforcment program badge tier or the Deluxe Edition available on Steam. If anything they will be "upgraded" a tiny bit and get a few extra bits and pieces.

The big points to take away from my suggestions:
    * Don't make any content unavailable if you don't have to.
    * Package it nicely and group it together logically.
    * Offer choice, both in different price points for different stuff and by not having everything clumped together in big packs.
    * I think it is good for the future health of the game to have lots of different, meaningful, stuff available for purchase and to differentiate between players.

The current suggestions put forward in the blog post doesn't rhyme well with the first three of my points. It makes some stuff no longer available, it is a bunch of different things cobbled together in a package that makes little sense on its own, and it offers little choice in what people would like to have.

Just what I think anyway, I'm open for suggestions.
  • lineplxlineplx Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167313Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi you should probebly have a forum vote, on this so it's easyer too see what peoples opinions are ,

I approve , what ever it takes to keep this game alive

Okay i just want to add a question maybe add a module marine \skulk so that people can purschase more custom things like helmen and leg chest ( like the war of hats in TF2) etc a lot of money can be made from novelty skins with out it ruining the game.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    For the amount of hours ive played ns2, the game is honestly worth the £100 ive payed in DLC and shadow tier costs. Its cool to think that that UWE is looking forward with ns2 and not forgetting it. Damn, id probably pay another £50 for some more cool shit, keep the skins coming :]

I agree with you, up until willing to pay more.

I've reached the point where I feel like I've paid enough for this game and the time I've spent on it. As much as I'd like the CDT, Rant and UWE to continue making a dollar from ns2, I predict future DLCs (assuming a constant playerbase) just won't be as successful as the reaper pack. For the same reason that I personally won't be buying it and importantly that the skins already exist and are in rotation in the game. It isn't new content.

As loyal as the playerbase is, the same people won't continue to buy every DLC pack that gets put out. It's cool that you will though.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    ceribik wrote: »
    as a special edition supporter you have my support to go one up and release a reinforcement pack with the black ops marine model
    As a fellow special edition owner, just no. I veto this suggestion.

I'm fine with the reinforcement stuff being integrated into DLCs, though I'm skeptical of how well it would sell.

Seconded. Black armour was sold to us as being exclusive to preorderers. It wouldn't seem fair to the early supporters to change that now.

It's one thing packaging a small portion of shadow tier content into a cheaper DLC - it's another thing entirely putting something back on the market that was supposed to be strictly for a limited time only.

Having said that, I suppose I wouldn't mind some sort of less-awesome version of black armour being available. Like, black armour, with a standard armour helmet (coloured black though).
  • TimmmmaaahhTimmmmaaahh Belgium Join Date: 2014-05-04 Member: 195799Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Hey Hugh!

Thank you for that explanatory writeup, if all companies would communicate like this the world would most probably be a better place ;)

I have played the NS franchise ever since its beginning and haven't stopped playing since. I play mainly this game for a number of reasons, here's a few:
    1. Its concept is (still!) unique, I haven't seen a game come even close to the NS experience.
    2. The player community is awesome and most friendly, I've had many good laughs and fun convos through voice and text chat.
    3. I like the people behind the project, Unknown Worlds is a transparent company and clearly cares for its customers (we wouldn't be posting here otherwise would we now?).

For those reasons and many more, I fully trust the development team and UWE management, you guys always think ahead with the love for the game and its community in mind, not just to fill your wallets. That's why I donated. In short: sure, make it a small cost extra-benefit pack.

I'll smile even more when that shiny icon appears next to my name when I hit that tab button knowing no one can get it anymore! Hee hee >8]

Cheers!
    FotherMucker
  • schell_tilmanschell_tilman germany Join Date: 2013-11-16 Member: 189397Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hi Hugh,
    Thank you for communication.
    I think it is worth a try to sell a 'downgraded' RP. There is no problem for me if you guarantee some unique skins and badges from the original RP.
    Cheers
    til
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    UWE, just try not to become like EA xD
  • MansenMansen Join Date: 2013-06-14 Member: 185560Members
    By all means - As long as people still pay for the content, I don't see any reason why the "old" exclusives should stay that way.
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    As most of the other Reinforcement Supporters, what I love is the game, not the skins.
    Please, do whatever you think it is necessary to keep that awesome game alive.

But I don't think you will get much more money from the reinforced skins because most of the hardcore fans willing to pay have already bought them.

I suggest you to start a community contest for creating the best skins. The winners get a unique badge. Then you sell the skins and keep 100% of the income to keep improving NS2

• METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Also, there is other way.
    Everybody know that NS2 have no "ingame motivation" for playing the match. Only "Marines win" or "Aliens win". Look at the CS:GO, after the match ends you can earn Achievements, Promotion stars, new weapon skins and Crates. It very motivates the casual players to keep playing, you can't deny it. But, you also can buy almost all those skins on Steam store for a few cents!

NS2 has somesort of a level system based on NShive, and NS2 still a paid game (as CS:GO as well). To keep casual players playing you can Unlock new skins, for example, every 5 levels. On level 5 you can unlock Kodiak rifle skin, on level 10 you can unlock Marine Deluxe skin and so on. OR you can buy a skin pack for a 5$ on the Steam store. It is just a concept, what do you think?
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Well I love the game, but I always felt very sad I was to slow to get the black armor. I so far got all available dlc's available for the game, because I really like it and I wanted to support further developement, but also because I am kind of a collector. I would feel a little betrayed to be honest if people could get the shadow skulk skin in a lot's cheaper dlc now. If that comes I also want a black armor dlc, I wouldn't even mind paying 20€ (I think thats the diff between normal and special edition back then?) or more for it just to complete my collection. If you feel this would be unfair to the buyers of the special edition please reconsider your shadow dlc idea...
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wisp wrote: »
    I'm sorry to admit the Reinforcement Program has been a significant disappointment for me.
    I saw it as a good way to invest in the future of NS2. I pay a fair amount of money, and in return we get continued updates and new content. A kickstarter for future content
    But the fundamental difference between the way this was handled, and a kickstarter, is that kickstarter doesn't charge you unless the crowdfunding campaign is successful

Reinforcement Program was NOT a kickstarter for future content, it was a program to support what UWE already did in the previous update. As clearly stated in the video, the total cost from the moment Gorgeous update was released until the release of Reinforced was 550 k$ "you decide how much of that cost we make back". If that program was successful, they planned to do the same again

jhohcable wrote: »
    What I would like is this: some kind of coop version. Left 4 Dead variety, whatever. Something that lets me and other pals or pugs play against some bots. Four marines vs a swarm of aliens, or 4 aliens vs a swarm of marines, whatever. I would pay full price for this. I can't speak for anyone else, only myself. But I speak for myself when I say I would absolutely pay more money for this.

Completely agree with this. I always thought that what the game needs to appeal a broader audience is a good coop version. We don't have enough people for proper matchmaking, but this could be done. That is what the game needs to appeal to the less skilled or rookie players. I would definitively try to bring many friends into NS2 if that were an option, but the current bots (and specially the commanders) need some work.
    Just think how many people would have played Left 4 Dead if the game never had the coop version
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see how NS2: RP sale on steam would help improve the player base. People that have ns2 will buy it. People that don't have ns2 are less likely to buy it.

Sure i'm up for it but I would prefer content that makes people that own ns2 but don't play it come back. I think the mentioned coop could be one of them.

And althought the player base is to small for matchmaking. I still would like to see it for when the player number goes up in free weekends etc.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pack all skins - excluding the forum badges, and shoulder decals - into one DLC and sell it as a "Reinforced Pack" for less than $75. Around $40.
    - Guaranteed to get some buyers: Because the skins are great
    - Noobs will mostlikely not buy it immediately, so no Shadow Skulk noobs
    - Those that purchased Shadow / Diamond have exlusive decals and badges and can life with that and the lower prize for the DLC: +- $35 invested into development.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Pack all skins - excluding the forum badges, and shoulder decals - into one DLC and sell it as a "Reinforced Pack" for less than $75. Around $40.
    - Guaranteed to get some buyers: Because the skins are great
    - Noobs will mostlikely not buy it immediately, so no Shadow Skulk noobs
    - Those that purchased Shadow / Diamond have exlusive decals and badges and can life with that and the lower prize for the DLC: +- $35 invested into development.

I don't care about any badges, I actually hide all badges I have ingame. I donated a high amount of money to be able to play as the 'exclusive' shadow skulk. Back then noone knew there would be other shadow skins anyway, it was only the skulk. I don't see how there is a major difference to people who bought the Special edition over the normal edition to have the 'exclusive' black armor. If you take away the exclusiveness of the shadow skins take it away from the other skins in the game as well and make everything available as dlc or don't do it at all.
  • cracker_jackmaccracker_jackmac Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6891Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skins as steam purchases? Yes please. The exclusiveness is gone but oh well, UWE should live on.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I would say 'the option most likely to secure NS2s long term future and support' is the one I prefer. I do not know enough of the finer points on dlc sales on that scale to judge what that would be. :)

hmm.. this would mean if I ever want to have my shadow badge on forum id have to activate it now. If I do, will it still overwrite my old constie icon? If so, im still not going to do it. :)
  • OpaOpa Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158555Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I bought the Shadow tier and I totally agree with your intention of putting the RP content as steam purchases, even if you put all the skins in it ! Make everything possible to keep UWE alive and make new players want to play and support NS2 !
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    True wrote: »
    No.

DLC, especially the fluff kind, is the death of this industry. Profit over pleasure is the new mantra, and I know I'm not the only one completely done with it. Even something minor like this creates the feeling for a new player that one can't buy a game and get the entire experience, one must shell out even more money. And for those there since the beginning, it seems like begging more nickels and dimes at best.

If you stop the program, just end it.

how is OPTIONAL DLC the death of the industry?

• Airwolf_sweAirwolf_swe Sweden Join Date: 2013-12-15 Member: 190114Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Me personally mind if you sold it as new DLC.

However
    Why don't you give the administration right over to the CDT team? then you wont have any expenses. To be fair UWE don't develop anything, so I think the CDT team does deserve some of the profit made from the DLC.

Please remove WinXP support from the steam store page, or fix the problem. It havent been working the last 2 patches. and before that ALOT of patches made the game not working in XP.
    And maybe lower the game storeprice since its old, low playerbase and not updated by you anymore.

Make a more optimized NS3 please. The game itself is pretty unique, thats why ive been sticking around even thought the slow performance and buggy patches.

To get back to topic, I don't mind you release new DLC with skins and stuff, even though I donated to the reinforcement program. However I WOULD be mad if you release a DLC, meanwhile you state you support WinXP in steam store page, since it ain't working. So please remove WinXP support from Store steam page before releasing DLC.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    UWE 2013: Ultra revolutionary giving away our DLC TOTALLY 100% free for EVERYONE on ns2 unlike everyone else out there on the market!!! that evilelishly wants 10-15$ for only 5 maps and 5 weaponskins....
    Tf82pPp.png
    (makes donation page for production of future dlc´s that generated 250.000 dollaars) 250.000 dollars / 4900 people = avarages 50+ free dollars per person... just donations in hope for better future. Thats people optionally paying 50$ and more for what essentially turned out to be cuple maps/skins, i love the rantology skins and kodiak map, but its hard to believe it costed 250.000 dollars to develop...
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    you could do WHATEVER you wanted and disired with that amount. but on top of that u wanna sell of pieces of the game for 6$ each like the combat thing for 15 wasnt enough? is that where the donations went since i could single handedly do 5 skins a day for 30 days straight and bring 150 new skins for you EVERY month just with 1 person....how come since 2013 i only saw like 3 maps and 2 skinpacks?...you gotta step it up if u want a future of ns2 instead of releasing pieces of game or mods for another 15 bucks each splitting up the community like you describet that was absulutely the worst thing you can do with a dlc you have to pay for that all other games does. Maby in that case why not do 9 monts of production on siege mod for 15 bucks next? why not throw in a trailer for gorgecraft aswell with fake sounds that never end up in the game like the biodome trailer had on youtube and why not make it snow instead of clogs that we all can buy for christmas lol...such good waste of time and resources. gj uwe i cant wait...
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    super 2014 special steam offer: Get ns2+dlc´s+skins+badges+combat mode ultra pack 99% discount for only 731.135.825.193.913.423.99 $ (completely optional but you better, if u want to see 1 new map or 5 more skins)