Future of the Reinforcement Program - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageFuture of the Reinforcement Program - Natural Selection 2

In August 2013, Unknown Worlds (UWE) launched the ‘Reinforcement Program’  (the ‘NS2: RP’). This program offered a bunch of cool stuff, like Shadow Skulks and Elite Assault Marines, to anyone...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • bradx954bradx954 Canada Join Date: 2014-03-14 Member: 194723Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I am okay with this.
  • borsdyborsdy Respawning again Join Date: 2013-09-20 Member: 188366Members, Reinforced - Diamond
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't mind, I only donated a dollar, sadly.
  • AnarchyAngelAnarchyAngel Join Date: 2007-01-26 Member: 59758Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im all for anything that makes things easier for the Dev's and makes NS2 more successful.
  • Master CaosMaster Caos Canarias, Tenerife Join Date: 2009-08-28 Member: 68635Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hello. Great job as always with the game. I would not mind buying booster packs of the program Steam. I miss him already and always support the game. Always better with each update. Innovating new things. Without giving the can. Count my vote ^^

A big hello !!!!
  • SirDaviesSirDavies Spain Join Date: 2014-04-12 Member: 195353Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah, why the hell not?
  • HysteHyste French Join Date: 2014-03-30 Member: 195046Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond
    So i buy the diamond pack for 40$ and people can now have the same armor as me by just buying a pack who contained only the armor, so I purchass the diamond pack only for the badge.... :/
  • Dean478Dean478 Join Date: 2009-01-12 Member: 66050Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not a fan of digital item exclusivity at all. I would not be bothered in the slightest if ALL of the items were eventually offered up on the digital store for players to purchase for further customisation and support for UWE.

People will always buy these things. Why not generate more income? :)
  • T'ahknallT'ahknall Join Date: 2009-06-13 Member: 67822Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm up for more revenue for the game. Here's my stamp of approval.
  • Madkow990Madkow990 Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188108Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this is a great idea (Not because I have a Shadow Badge already), but because it's going to make things easier on the devs and streamline another facet of NS2. Do it!
  • TrueTrue Join Date: 2004-03-16 Member: 27361Members
    No.

DLC, especially the fluff kind, is the death of this industry. Profit over pleasure is the new mantra, and I know I'm not the only one completely done with it. Even something minor like this creates the feeling for a new player that one can't buy a game and get the entire experience, one must shell out even more money. And for those there since the beginning, it seems like begging more nickels and dimes at best.

If you stop the program, just end it.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds like a good idea, but does this mean there won't be shadow badges/gorge skins for the people who donated anymore? If you have to remove my shadow perks, I understand, and after all I didn't really donate to get badges and skins anyway. It would be worth it for the continued development of the game. But I'd also like to have some in-game indication that I supported the game.

Once again, if it has to happen for the continued success of NS2, by all means take away my shadow stuff. NS2's development is more important. I'll miss my shadow gorge though :(

Also, I'd suggest making the reinforcement pack worth $6, but with the option to donate more. I'm sure some people would be willing to give more than $6, if they had the option to do so. So you shouldn't limit their ability to donate as much as they want.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    UWE need to decide first, they are actually selling the skinz via RP, or they just rewarding people for donation?

There is no point in trashing the Elite/gorge/lerk (and upcoming onos&fade shadow skinz). You can sell them separatly or via different packs on Steam. Or rework the whole donation system, make it cheaper or more flexible. Why trashing? It is not a TF2 where you can make 1000$$$ on the exclusive things.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me this gonna change nothing, you won't get money from "poor" DLC like this.
    Some of us support by giving money for this because we feel it was needed for a great game.

But the stuff value of what i paid one year ago for reinf program or recently for kodiak DLC... the value is "shit" (sorry to say it like that). For me it is just small skins or badges that have no value at all, they bring nothing. I didn't bought them because i was astonished by the content, just because you needed it to bring on more patches and "real" content for free, like you've done before reinf program.

There is no real answer of what to do to keep the game alive with patches, because you've made a game that only matters for a small range of players. It is hard, it is very tactical, it is an UFO in the game FPS industry.
  • KomsomolKomsomol Ireland Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68085Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Do what you need to do UWE, couldn't really care less about the skins and what not.
  • slayer.faithslayer.faith Join Date: 2007-12-10 Member: 63127Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    ...does this mean there won't be shadow badges/gorge skins for the people who donated anymore?

I read it as "people who already have it keep it, but we want to make another 'mini-pack' to sell on steam which will have some of the same assets". Ie, you keep your full set of toys but other people on steam can buy parts of it in a 'shadow pack' dlc.

Personally, Im fine with anything that keeps ns2 development going. I dont need anything else.... just keep my beloved game supported.

I can see the argument for the people who do care (you said it would be unique to donors) but remember if the game dies, you lose the ingame swag anyway.

It seems to me the main issue will be the assault marine armor. That was only available at $40+ level and will now be at $6.

Maybe you could mollify original RP donors somewhat with a new badge or shoulder decal? (If the art effort required was not too much, after all part of the work for the pack was adding the ability to do badges and decal, so that part is done, right?). Hell, im sure someone with art talent could knock up a great 'shadow' decal for you. Run a competition for it :)

In a side note, does anyone know how to change the badge shown in this forum? Im actually more proud of the constellation badge than the shadow and Id like to show that one instead but you cant seem to edit the badge set on the forum. :-)

• p8ragonp8ragon Join Date: 2013-09-11 Member: 188121Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think you guys should make the game free to play, and generate revenue off skin purchases, and other cosmetic items. The problem with NS2 right now, is that a lot of people don't realize it exists. IMO you want to expand the community. The best way to do that is through word of mouth, since advertising is expensive.

just my two cents.
  • EmpiresBaneEmpiresBane Join Date: 2012-06-20 Member: 153480Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea, but I think you should include more of the skins. Maybe break them up into 2 packs, One for Marines, and one for Aliens. Keeping the badges out of them should be good enough. Sure, you can buy the skins, but you won't get that little badge next to your name saying how much you care.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm all for additional revenue streams that lead to further NS2 development.

As most have said, I didn't buy shadow for the content, I mean, I only use the basic assault marine skin anyway (since REAL marines don't need a gas mask. THEY LIVE ON SPORES)

What I (and I think most ns1 vets as well) would really want is a classic pack. With the classic lmg*, pistol, knife and fade skins.

*This thing is already in Combat, so any issues the creator had with it being paid for must be gone.
  • Mr_KittyMr_Kitty Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187334Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i don't know about this, i spent 75$ (on top the 24$) on the game because i wanted it to grow, since then 3 new maps came out, and some more shadow content + 2 fluff DLC skin packs.
    Now, back then i gave the money because i believed the game could grow and it's worth paying for more content that will make it (some did). i don't believe another fluff DLC will fund anything substantial as it offers no content anyone can hang on to, skins are a nice little incentive for bigger things, but you can't hang on to it.

If you're looking for any of us (both reinf program and the rest) to give anymore money for the game you have to offer worthwhile content equal to the sum we're paying, introduce some features that give the game depth, skins will get you nowhere, i'm not sure a new map will do the trick either, maybe a new game mod that can be applied to the existing maps without creating too many things in order to accoplish it, sort of like a new way to play the same round switching some things up (the same way you spice up things in sex, which usually require more thinking, and less doing while still creating substantial results.) let me throw some ideas "the gorge hunt" "tower defense with bubblers" and couple it with some animation/game mechanic related things like a lerk ability to pick up a gorge and fly it to another place as an upgrade and a gorge ability to hide its face and soak damage with adrenaline (animation already existing, i saw it in the gorge presentation video when you were developing NS2) and something equal for the marines and you have content worth paying for. as for how to apply it so everyone could get it i would suggest to make a smaller and SPECIFIC reinforcement program that says if you reach (lets say 20-40K for 5-8$ per user) to create that content, and if it doesn't do that in 2-3 months time
    the backers get refunded, or something along these lines.

to summerise - create something innovative that adds depth without using too many resources and is able to continue support for the game for a while.
    otherwise i'm sorry, i won't pay for something that doesn't add depth to the game, and i suggest that unless you're able to do that you'd better just leave the game entirely to the community and let it go legacy and keep our respect for future games, rather than lose your respect in the eyes of all the players that will start thinking you're just milking them for money.

I hope you guys keep going and create more things, either in NS2, or in the form of another game.
    good luck
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    "I'm all for additional revenue streams that lead to further NS2 development."
    Agreed.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It has already been said once, but I am positive that we can keep our gorge skins and badges. They just won't be included in the DLC is how I read that.

I donated when I had ~800 hours in game. At that time ns2 had become a really cheap game because it provided me so many hours of enjoyment. $75 was a thank you and continued support for ns2. The skins are nice, but not worth $75.

I like the proposed plan. I would only change it by having a separate dlc for each alien with all other included items. The shadow skins have different models and should be the PREMIUM skins of ns2. So if you could purchase all 5 aliens for $6 each I think that would be quite great. Assuming the fade and onos were eventually made.

I also really like them becoming steam dlc just for added visibility.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Throw in a Shadow Fade and Onos for current owners and Im way beyond for it.
  • EastwoodEastwood BAVARIA Join Date: 2013-02-06 Member: 182861Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't care. Shadow Fade sounds nice though.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    I agree and think this would be a great direction to take some older assets and recycle them into a DLC pack that is relevant and affordable, all while leaving the "stuff that really matters" exclusive to the veteran supporters.

Perhaps also have an explicitly labeled "Development Supporter" DLC that is $75+ and have that contain the in-game & forum badges. That way the option will still remain for relatively significant financial supporters who could still be enticed by a few exclusive perks.

But on the other hand...if developing new skins/decals is an option at all, I say retire all of RP and offer different ones. That avoids any upset from the previous supporters, while still offering a more affordable DLC to everyone. The community could probably be organized to create an exclusive pack and donate it for free to avoid any overhead from content creation.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you expect to make money off this. Why the hell are probably 50% of current NS2 PLAYERS (gusstimate because if 5k people bought reinforced anyway most probably left but those dedicated people that remain playing will already have this) going to purchase a pack with useless shit they already have?!

I don't care if you chose to sell it, it's your own product whatever.

The problem comes when you want to let CDT break the game, the game is broken already. People are leaving daily. Let them try new things sure, but if you dont fix the game before you try and make more money or break it again you wont have a playerbase left to even buy this stuff anyway.

Fix the game before you do anything else. thx.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    Sounds like a good idea, but does this mean there won't be shadow badges/gorge skins for the people who donated anymore? If you have to remove my shadow perks, I understand

@Blarney_Stone‌ UWE isn't proposing to take anything away from previous supports, only to strip certain aspects of the Reinforcement Pack into a smaller, cheaper DLC for future buyers.