Fossils

SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
So I dont tend to make threads for my own off-hand ideas, usually keep these things to myself or throw them in an already made thread but I thought id throw this one into the void.

With terraforming being introduced, I was trying to think of unique things to find in the ground besides minerals and other common ground-y things. Fossils quickly came to mind and I thought that it could work well with planned things for Subnautica.

My main idea is obviously the coolest thing ever: bringing the fossils you would find back to life. With things like the fabricator, it doesnt seem like such a stretch. You could have some sort of expensive room on-board a submarine that could bring them back to life, and then reintroduce them to the ecosystem. A really cool way to offset the balance of the ecosystem around you, would be really cool to see what effects an ancient animal would have on the other animals around it, and if it was a plant how that would affect the ecosystem. Seems like a very unique addition to living ecosystems to me at least, never seen that in any game before.

Another way this could be used for what the developers have in plan is the dna splicing. Grabbing a normal stalker and making yourself see metal better is a cool idea, but being endgame and needing to find a fossil of some creature that had night-vision or infrared-vision, or 16 color-rod Peacock Mantis Shrimp vision, then reviving it, and splicing its dna for your use, would be pretty cool.

There could be large fossils that you need heavy equipment for, small fossils that you dig up with your hands, plant fossils, sea-life fossils, land animal fossils, etc

Would like to see what others in the community think of this, of course its just creative thought.

tl;dr: dig fossil revive animal screw up the ecosystem get dino-powers

Comments

• Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This kinda seems like a good idea
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    Great idea! You'd feel like a real scientist and its cool and original. Seems like a nice fit for the game.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    edited November 2014
    Well if we are going to be digging we definitely need things to find... and ecological implications of reviving extinct creatures are fascinating.

However fiction-wise not sure how much interest to the character fossils would be in the current setup. Your ship is a scrap, your mates are dead, you have to make planet habitable for incoming colony ship, you have the whole current ecosystem to deal with... but you decide to engage in a bit of Paleontology. ;) and introduce into the ecosystem potentially disastrous elements (mind you our very presence is potentially disastrous to the planet)

Basically seems to me like a promising idea which needs more refinement.
  • SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
    Cool ideas.
    Just send the paycheck to Canada

Nairit wrote: »
    Well if we are going to be digging we definitely need things to find... and ecological implications of reviving extinct creatures are fascinating.

However fiction-wise not sure how much interest to the character fossils would be in the current setup. Your ship is a scrap, your mates are dead, you have to make planet habitable for incoming colony ship, you have the whole current ecosystem to deal with... but you decide to engage in a bit of Paleontology. ;) and introduce into the ecosystem potentially disastrous elements (mind you our very presence is potentially disastrous to the planet)

Basically seems to me like a promising idea which needs more refinement.

DEEEFINITELY needs more refinement, but on the subject of "not priority" id assume itd either be important end-game, or mr.survivor is a giant nerd who likes fossils (like me).
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
  • SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
    Flayra wrote: »
    Love it.
    Thats great!
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    From implementation point of view the fossils would lie buried under the surface. But then you could do the same with other hidden treasures, like sunken artifacts or other alien ships that went down centuries before. Or the remains of the former culture of the planet lost to the ocean. Probably you could destroy fossils if not digging carefully. You could also discover sealed underwater environments based on lifeforms not needing oxygen.