Blood in the Water - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageBlood in the Water - Subnautica

Experiment – have the Stalkers eat Peepers when they are nearby. Previously this wouldn’t have worked, as our creatures were spawned willy-nilly all over the world. But now we “leash”...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    That is really cool.
  • trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
    This looks really cool, but I hope that it is not an indication of things to come. Simply having "If stalker = detect peeper - initiate action eat_peeper" does not count as a proper ecosystem. Many games have done things like this before, creating the illusion of some sort of deeper complexity, but it falls apart at even the briefest of inspections.

Of course, as a first step towards that, seeing actual creature interaction in this game is interesting indeed, and I am looking forward to seeing this progress.
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Like it says, it's a start... pretty damn good one. Wonder if later stalkers will have something like hunger meter so they only eat till full not till no more food left. Still wouldn't be unheard for creatures to gorge themselves.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
    A good beginning! Excited for this kind of stuff.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome. This would be a great way to clear some caves without using a weapon!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Interesting idea. This would make subnautica more alive! Predators should stay predators!
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Speaking of luring stalker closer to peepers. Hopefully we can research and develop say specific hormones which we can then deploy in the water either localized or by leaving a trail for the Stalker to follow.

It's just that usually when game talk about "luring" they mean get the mob to chase you... and i've never been fond of the idea of using myself as a bait.
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    Very nice! This will absolutely make the world feel more alive, while adding some spice and variation to movement patterns. Definitely a fantastic step in the right direction!
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
  • HadesDeadlyTomHadesDeadlyTom France Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190172Members
    Awesome, but the movements of the stalkers are really too brutal, it break immersion a little.
    Something is planned for better creatures movements ?
    (sorry for my bad english)
    Good day, and keep going the good work ! :D
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Awesome, but the movements of the stalkers are really too brutal, it break immersion a little.
    Something is planned for better creatures movements ?
    (sorry for my bad english)
    Good day, and keep going the good work ! :D

We're very aware how awkward some of the creature move around in-game, and it's actively being worked on :)