What is your "go to" server for NS2 goodness?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited November 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
First things first this isn't an advertisement to join specific servers no outside influences, no finger pointing and no "my server is better than yours" whatsoever.

Now thats out the way my favourite server must be IBIS gaming, even though I'm british I found this US server welcoming with a good mixture of newbies and veteran players, with the occasional steam workshop bug, performance, reliability, friendliness, jokes and teamwork on this server keeps me coming back over and over.

Player count of 24 is just right in my eyes, any more seems to reduce the experience for me personally!

Plus I love playing grenade launcher golf with lerks & fades regularly ;))

Comments

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I play almost exclusively on Yo!Clan's NS2+ server and often one of the seeder players. #-o
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    For my favorite I'd have to say TacticalGamer. The win or lose mod, 16 player count, and rules they have (must have mic, use teamwork, no F4'ing) make it pretty rare to have a bad game. Plus those games that are unbalanced or "stacked" end really quickly thanks to the win or lose mod (seriously every server should have this!)

A close second would be LuckyFkers simply because I love the mod they have that improves Exo's and adds Onocide.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What is this win or lose mod? Sounds interesting.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    One of my favourites is acv competitive server. 16 slots, runs comp mod. I also like Hilarious Basterds (14 slots) and some "the thirsty onos" servers (can't remember the numbers). Basically you can find me on any server that runs ns2+ and has less than 20 slots. If it runs compmod it's just better and the stronger the players on that server the better it is for me
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited November 2014
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    What is this win or lose mod? Sounds interesting.

Basically, when team A concedes it starts a timer (60 seconds iirc) and team B has that much time to kill the Hive/CC. Team A can't do any damage, and every time team B kills someone, it takes time off the timer. If team B can't kill the Hive/CC before time is up... then team A wins.

So it turns conceding into a sort of mini game with the winning team rushing to kill the Hive/CC and the losing team trying to get in their way to die and lower the timer.

It's fun, and it tends to make people more willing to concede when the game is over.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    That sounds like a great idea! Will give stackers a kick up the backside and be willing to finish a game than farm for KDR lol
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Any server with ok ping, preferably 20 or lower. Never more then 24 slots.
    Mods optional, prefered of similar or higher skill & any language I speak.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    For a serious game, if you can manage to get onto the server, Tactical Gamer. TGNS mod is one of the best NS2 mods there is. Admin, achievement, badges, even has a nice portal where you can view information admit yourself and servers. Anyfor time else, [TA] House of Awesome because they don't care what you do.
    I must try the TG servers more, they look promising, I love TA server for sieges but I find half the time the server lags for me I'm afraid :/
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    TGNS after 4pm pst because that is when the regulars start to come online.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    It's fun, and it tends to make people more willing to concede when the game is over.

Eh, I think people concede too often in pubs.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    MoFo1 wrote: »

Eh, I think people concede too often in pubs.

It goes both ways. Tgns usually gets it just right.
  • GodOfAtheismGodOfAtheism Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199587Members
    TacticalGamer servers. A great group of regulars, and usually excellent communication.
    -Want to have a serious match? TacticalGamer.
    -Want to relax and run a ridiculous strategy (Whole team gorges and whole team make gorge tunnels from your base to marines and play whack-a-gorge)? TacticalGamer.
    -Want to go full on try-hard? Come by Friday night for Captain's night (Dodgeball style picks from one of the two team captains, each team takes a turn being Aliens and Marines on the same map with the same spawns). The password to enter the captain's night server is posted on the TG forums around 30 or so minutes before it starts.
    -Want to get eaten by my lerk until you break your keyboard over your face*? TacticalGamer.

There's almost always someone on the server with basic admin permissions, so things don't get out of control.

Overall, great community, and I recommend you join the forums as well (not sure of the posting rules here, so I'll avoid linking it.)

As mentioned above, the win-or-lose mod makes even conceding because of an inevitable loss fun, as sometimes you can get the "Victory" if the other team kills too many of you without focusing the hive/chair.

*Disclaimer
    I accept NO responsibility for any keyboards/faces/etc damaged before/during/after the digestion of your face by my lerk.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    calegos server has been the only one where I can consistently get a good game and that's due to the minimum 200 hours to play. besides that, I look at the server info of DMD/IBIS/TA for whichever has the greatest amount of good players. I tried playing in TG many times but more often than not the people weren't too great and it always took forever to get a commander. I'll have to check it out on Fridays for the captain night.

it's annoying to play outside of the captain servers because there's usually only 3-6 players I recognize on any other server, and when half of them quit after a round i'm forced to suffer through a awful game or look for a different server. i would really enjoy if you could queue for a different server while being in game.
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Calego #1, Hyperion NEW #2.
    Second one for admin troll policing.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    -Calego's server when it holds its tickrate. Would love the playercap to be a tad lower but its the best you can get with a hour requirement.
    -TG games are usually fun as well. I'm not a fan of one of their admins but aside from that, the 16 playercap makes games very fun.
    -HBZ when it was alive and seeded
    -TA used to be fun. Now its 24p and I cri evry tim.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I play almost exclusively on Yo!Clan's NS2+ server [...]
    Same. And that for half a year or so. More or less the same culprits on as when I joined (except Modest, btw. he still on SWE? I'm starting to miss his ARC / Sentry / "X-Go-Do-This-While-Y-The-other-and-soforth" tactics)
    =))
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    my go to sever is the 1 of 20 that are less than 200 ping and not empty...
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I still think win/lose should be win/die. As in, same rules, but everything explodes if the "winning" team doesnt kill the base fast enough, killing everything on the map (or at least all the players!)

Same rules, losers go out with a bang!
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    edited November 2014
    Another vote for the tactical gamer servers. I stumbled into a captains game years ago in NS1 and have been there ever since.

Since they are fairly strict regarding their rules, it's a good place to enjoy some games without having to deal with the typical hoodlums you find everywhere online.

I'm getting to be like Danny Glover because I'm getting to old for that shit.
    I would like to see a ready room rave near the winning team
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Whatever is not SEIGE mode and has less than 100 ping.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    One with a password.
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Whatever is not SEIGE mode and has less than 100 ping.

I can rarely find a decent siege server where it has people that know what they are doing!

I find it amazing that people are still clueless on how to play siege, even though the concept is probably nearly 10 years old already!

• AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Titus/Godar/sauna/2eZ server... (although the Titus east coast server has weird pings for east :-P)
    Typical playercounts are around 12 players and the average skill and teamplay is higher compared to most other servers I tried.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Anzestral wrote: »
    Titus/Godar/sauna/2eZ server... (although the Titus east coast server has weird pings for east :-P)

It's east(ish). Close enough lololol
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego if I can tolerate the ping but usually The Thirsty Onos, some nice players there and you sometimes get some of the comp players there too which leads to some interesting skill-divides and some crazy games :)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    KK-ehem, I mean Calego's is my numba one if there's a slot still open when it's seeded. I dont mind most of the other popular NA servers, however when some of them hit certain player counts, I will avoid them because I can't stand the late game lag. I also sometimes check to see who is in which server and try to flock towards the ones I know have some higher skilled players.

Steam sale = double edged sword. Lots of new players the past couple weeks makes it difficult to find consistent good games. Eventually they will either get better or move on (capn's games ftw).

When I connect to other continents when NA servers aren't active, I enjoy the community at YO and the thirsty onos servs.