SiegeMod

KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
So Siege from ns1 is back into ns2. It's currently a work in progress and attempts to merge both ns1 and ns2 mechanics. Users that join may find very different gameplay rules with many custom maps to support them. For the past month, or almost two months now, this has been an on going process mostly by myself but with the support of a few other contributors.

I have never attempted to lua before, nor have I ever mapped before. But because of my contributions there is now a new #1 server in ns2. As many as 50 players have played the mod simultaneously with the two servers that support the mod/maps. And overall a new community for what some may call a "dying game" has been born.

Basically no one else wanted to make siege despite the ongoing cry for it. And now that it's here, it's here to stay. Who knows what may come or how many will support it. But just know I intend to finish it up much to the level of the upcoming "Combat Mod".

Comments

• cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    Thanks Kyle! If you can spare some time, can you please look at the glaring bugs in the combat mod...still have about 40+ players daily on it.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Unfortunaly, the only servers hosting Siege mod are from NA... Not that I don't like playing with a high ping meh... if I can avoid it, that's better.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Unfortunaly, the only servers hosting Siege mod are from NA... Not that I don't like playing with a high ping meh... if I can avoid it, that's better.

You might get lower ping on our new server. If not hopefully someone will setup a server in your area with better ping.

• KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    edited November 2014
  • BerndBernd Germany Join Date: 2014-11-06 Member: 199473Members
    I know you dont like that Ibis is using the mod on his Server, but why you punish the community for that ?
    Sry for my english.
    edited November 2014
    THE HOME OF SIEGEMOD IS ON THE HOUSE OF AWESOME. THIS IS WHERE I GET FEEDBACK TO UPDATE THE MOD/MAPS TO QUALITY. I ALSO HAVE CONTROL OVER THESE SERVERS IF THERE'S ISSUES, I CAN HELP MAINTAIN/OPTIMIZE EVERYTHING. IF YOU ARE ON A SERVER THAT IS NOT HOUSE OF AWESOME BEWARE QUALITY MIGHT NOT BE THE SAME. PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK ON OUR FORUM AT HASHTAGAWESOME.ORG IF YOU ARE NOT ON HOUSEOFAWESOME SERVER. THANK YOU.

http://tahoa.site.nfoservers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18&sid=42827ed606754429a5b0d28c3ee5eb44
    The changes to your mod are automatically applied to all the servers running it, thus all the servers that use your mod get these optimizations and changes that you speak of.
    If 1 or 1 billion other servers run the mod it does not stop you from running the mod and still collecting any info you need.
    What it does do is allow more players to enjoy and play the mod.

If you just needed access to the server logs any server can easily provide that access so you can get info for debugging ect from multiple sources. In fact this is even better for debugging b/c one server may have a particular issue more often than another server helping to squash out more bugs. In addition more players actually enjoying the mod means that there is more people to give feedback about it.

So if this was and is really about having access to these things how is it that still after all this time you have never once yet requested access to these things? Instead you simply demand that no one run this mod so that there is only 1 server for it.

On another note it is not as though I am the only other person running this mod. I know that on the weekends some other servers would run this mod and you have not to my knowledge threatened them.

I hope that you will see that many of us really enjoy this mod and want it to be supported by multiple servers. We would all like to be able to just use the normal branch of the mod and have fun.

We all hope to hear that you have placed the mod back on the workshop, plan to continue to improve this fun mod and allow us all to enjoy it on multiple servers all over the earth.
    Just to clarify again, as always if a mod dev needs access to a particular log folder on the server I can make the logs public which they should be already anyways b/c I did this for combat back in the day for if and when they needed debug logs.
    edited November 2014
    Look, Ibis. I understand I may have overreacted. But in no way shape or form do I regret or take back any word I said (although I did delete a few comments on your siegemod + mod (which insanely frustrated me because I purposefully hid the mod to gather my thoughts and you went ahead and underminded that). So let me to try explain myself a little more thoroughly, I said what I said last night to get me through the night and I slept peacefully. But today is a new day.

An example of myself gathering feedback is just a few moments ago on weldsiege being with the players and seeing stuckspots first hand. Alot of maps I have made may include stuck spots, for example. This is because the old conversion method included thousands of individually clicked faces that were nothing but hard labor to import over and there's a few sticking out a few inches here and there.

It's not just this though. You see, back when I played siege in ns1 there was only one server for it. One forum. One community. There may have been others, but they did not scale in comparison. This was my goal. Only 1 server mimicking that memory. So with these people adding servers, it's an entirely new experience for me. I feel less in control, more intimidated, more responsible with weight on my shoulders.

With the house of awesome server I have admin access, log access, web access to view chat/change maps/mods accordingly. The server is also overclocked with slight custom settings to compensate for the server performance that siege requires (Structure spam anyone?).

I understand everything is open source free for the public to grab and I may not actually own anything. I understand I too steal from other mods and remix it into SiegeMod. So it's hard for me to call you a thief. I also take maps from ns1 and convert them, rebrand them, texturize them, light them and do everything to make it work to the best I can with ns2 siegemod. And if people ask if I'm the creator, I don't know what to say. I'm more of a remixer/converter than creator/owner.

If you want to run siegemod, fine. If you want to run maps, fine. But understand at this moment I may prefer to slightly advertise the home of siegemod is on house of awesome for a variety of reasons. I don't respect you at all for your acts but I can put that aside. However we can discuss sharing logs, or even admin access, I may be grateful. But the siegemod and all my maps are now public for yourself to use if you want.

This is also one thing I wanted to avoid. Long public statements. Jeesus, just get to the game and enjoy it. I am grateful for the position I am in and I am trying to do the best. This is all new to me.
    P.s - one more thing, since you made another reply I'll do the same. I notice alot of players are from australia or some form of the other side of the world. I really hate seeing them come to the server with 200+ ping but for some reason they stick around because there's no closer server out there for them at the moment. (I know a bit of a contradicting statement I just made by saying please take server offline and theres no australian server.)

I'm just overworked and needed a slight break is all.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    KKyle wrote: »
    This is also one thing I wanted to avoid. Long public statements.

PMs work.
    Anyways, like I said before I can give you access to any logs that you need access to. I like many other players enjoy this mod and just want to have the ability to play it on multiple servers so we can all enjoy it any time we want. When I posted the mod back on the workshop I had and have no intention of doing anything with it other than making it available to players. When it was gone people could no longer have fun playing the mod and so I turned the mod and the fun back on.

I would much prefer to be running the actual mod that you are actively developing. Please let me know if there is no restriction in your mod from me doing this and what files you need to have access to see logs from so I can ensure there is an easy way for those to be accessed publicly.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Please let me know if there is no restriction in your mod from me doing this and what files you need to have access to see logs from so I can ensure there is an easy way for those to be accessed publicly.

I believe you should have asked him this a LONG while ago. It's not like you couldn't have messaged him through Steam, where the author contact is available.

It's very bad form to not even attempt an effort to contact the initial author before using their work. I understand why people are quite annoyed.

P.S. why do you idle/seed your unranked NS2:Combat server every morning? And why is it unranked?
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    Please let me know if there is no restriction in your mod from me doing this and what files you need to have access to see logs from so I can ensure there is an easy way for those to be accessed publicly.

I believe you should have asked him this a LONG while ago. It's not like you couldn't have messaged him through Steam, where the author contact is available.

It's very bad form to not even attempt an effort to contact the initial author before using their work. I understand why people are quite annoyed.

P.S. why do you idle/seed your unranked NS2:Combat server every morning? And why is it unranked?

Yea b/c from the last time I ran a modded server I had to ask permission from the dev team. I think you misunderstand how mods work. I think you can look at any server admin we do not ask permission to use mods/ maps that are publicly available.

For combat I have signed the rank agreement so it should be ranked whenever the devs added it. I am afk it in when I sleep b/c if the server is empty no one will join it unless I do that.

• cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members

KKyle wrote: »
    P.s - one more thing, since you made another reply I'll do the same. I notice alot of players are from australia or some form of the other side of the world. I really hate seeing them come to the server with 200+ ping but for some reason they stick around because there's no closer server out there for them at the moment. (I know a bit of a contradicting statement I just made by saying please take server offline and theres no australian server.)

I'm just overworked and needed a slight break is all.

Implement the high ping kicker mod - set it to 150 so anybody above that gets kicked. Thanks for working on siege mod and updating the ns1 maps for ns2.

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Yea b/c from the last time I ran a modded server I had to ask permission from the dev team. I think you misunderstand how mods work. I think you can look at any server admin we do not ask permission to use mods/ maps that are publicly available.

For combat I have signed the rank agreement so it should be ranked whenever the devs added it. I am afk it in when I sleep b/c if the server is empty no one will join it unless I do that.

My mistake - I didn't think you were running the original mod. I thought you were running one called 'Siegerevived' instead of the original 'Siege'. My bad!
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I still need to check this out :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I am a little confused, as a mod developer myself, for many years, the thing I wanted more than anything was MORE servers running my mods so I could get MORE information across a wider selection of hardware, and client systems.

I especially wanted information from players when I wasn't around to hold their hand and told them how to do things the expected way, it is much better to let players try and break the mod on their own, and then you work out how and make sure it's not possible in future.
    edited November 2014
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    Just a few words about this "server is running my mod without permission thing" I'm seeing lately when it comes to Siege Mode.

@KKyle‌

If you don't want to have your mod globally available say so in the description at steamworks and add a license saying exactly that your code is only for your own usage or for ppl who gained the permission from you to use it.

That's totally your right as creator.

The issue there would be just by doing so you might harm the licenses of the mods your mod is based on mostly ( loc coverage 80%+ ) meaning actually you can only say that you don't want ppl to use the code snippets you actually created etc. .

(for that you have to somehow publish what exactly you did, what's from others and so on )

@ZeroIbis And yes you can't just use a mod if there is a certain license shipped with it (and you get informed about that license at the steamworks mods page) telling you that you are not allowed to use it without the creators permission.

But if there is nothing said at all i would agree with you that normally you are allowed to use steamworks workshop mods until the creator of a mod ask you to stop using it ...

That's basic law around software and creative work. The creator is the owner of what he creates and has therefor the rights to exactly define in what way other ppl are allowed to use his work (ofc inside the borders of international laws).

Have in mind that the workshop is only a software shipping system and is not taking cares of all the legal stuff.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah, having read your code, If you are going to put it out under a licence, please remove my ScaleMixin code from your mod, as that is Open-Source and anyone who uses it must keep their product open source as well...