ns2_forgotten

Comments

• CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    More things to note.

Gen/Fusion spawn for Aliens is still terrible, just like real Docking! Supply Yard is a massively Marine favored room, and if Aliens spawn in Storage, they naturally get Fusion. If Aliens spawn in Fusion, they don't have a natural expansion. This means getting cut on Supply Yard/Energy Reserves is death.

The reason for this is that once Energy is cut, it is much easier for them to block Storage from a Fusion start than it is for them to block Fusion from a Storage spawn. This is simply since spawning in Storage gives much more sway in the map.

I have another stream recording being done, but we are still playing it.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited October 2014
    changelog 004

Firstly i apologize for the vent issue in mine entrance, in test bile couldnt get past the fence but i suppose with networking and lag it seems to not prevent the bile. This update fixes some of the issues with the map that have been raised.

thankyou for the feedback i have received vent aside i never expected marines to be causing issues for aliens. Hopefully that has been addressed with this patch. Also to newer players please remember to use the ceiling etc when trying to get from a to b as an alien and not just run on the floor

. fixed hole in gully pass (near the south door)
    . Moved mine entrance res node
    . bile prevention method in mine entrance.
    . moved system power node
    . fixed drifter and mac issues with building tech points
    . cysting through rockdown to pipe run should now work
    . more lighting improvements
    . added clutter to both east access and auxiliary flux corridors
    . weird geometry obscuring commander view in storage fixed
    . should have more areas to place structures in storage.
    . finished vent from rockdown to wooza's stand

next patch i will look into the issue with energy reserve being to overpowered for marines if starting in fusion
    a few questions.

would anyone like to see auxiliary node as an alien starting hive?

a vent from fusion vent straight into energy reserves? would this help remedy the issue of energy reserves being to easy to hold for marines or is it a case of aliens being outgunned?

ventilation. Would people like to see it made larger or a bit more roomy inside?

ceiling in system, should i open up the system ceilings and remove the meshing?
    edited October 2014
    also storage was not departures it wasnt a room from docking it was from rockdown
    changelog 005

when in doubt add more vents. The balancing tool of any ns2 mapper is vents and clutter.

. vent in fusion has another entrance from energy reserve to prevent easy marine lockdown.
    . ceiling in system opened up abit for alien access.
    . changes to supply yard to hopefully make it abit more kind to aliens
    . ready room changes
    . additional lighting work
    edited October 2014
    changelog 005-1

small patch

. opened up the hole in supply yard.
    . added more clutter to east access and gully pass
    . fixed hole in east access geometry
    . fixed issue with drifters and macs building mine entrance tech point.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I forgot to link it.

http://www.twitch.tv/cyber_kun/b/577921644

This was the last stream of version 3. Much trolling. You can see me being an Alien commander starting on Fusion and wanting to scream. Then another durp game happens.

Anyways, I will stream another game of it possibly tomorrow. I have to work and then raid in WILDSTUR, but there is a three hour window where I will attempt to get another game going.
    edited October 2014
    changelog 006

. auxiliary node is now a possible alien start location
    . fixed occlusion issue in system.
    . supply yard should be easier for aliens to assault
    changelog 007

. auxiliary node corridor has more areas for skulks to hide.
    . Overview lapping in system fixed.
    changelog 008

. auxiliary node has been extended (more room behind tech point)
    . overall ai pathing improved
    . vent added in east access (above window)
    . vent added in pipe run
    . res node moved in rockdown to a less vulnerable place
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    One problem I just found in play. The east access rt does not have enough space behind it to allow and onos to fully circle around it. Auxiliary felt too small to me.

Also, we got an onos stuck in the big hole in courtyard. We used clogs to get him out. It was funny although irrelevant to balance.

Many decently skilled marines claimed there were too short line of sites. Aliens won by a landslide that game.

The map looks dirty and it is fantastic.

Balance the map a bit, some further polish, and I really think this could be an official map. It has a proven layout for the most part. It looks good and plays well.
    im not sure on the balance side, i have seen more marine wins than alien on the map although i have only witnessed 5 games fully played 3 marine 2 alien wins and caught the end of a further 2 marine wins.

auxiliary will receive more changes but its size isnt really a major issue since it functions well enough.

i will look into east access rt, always nice to allow onos circling.

thanks for the feedback, it is a fun map.
    http://www.twitch.tv/cyber_kun/b/579622175

The most useful thing about that is at the end of the Forgotten game when people smarter than me comment on the game. Otherwise, stomp stomp stomp.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The locked door in the upper right corner of Lockdown confused me a couple of times. In general I would like it to be obvious which doors that can't be used. Perhaps you could make that corner darker or add a red light on it like Loki did on Kodiak.
    red light sounds good supafred will do
    edited October 2014
    changelog 009

. Fixed collision and stuck issue entrance to rockdown from woozas stand
    . added coloured lighting to the doors of rockdown
    . improvements to east access
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    changelog 009

. Fixed collision and stuck issue entrance to rockdown from woozas stand
    . added coloured lighting to the doors of rockdown
    . improvements to east access

Can I squeeze my fat onos buttocks behind the RT now?
    edited October 2014
    changelog 010

. fixed a hole issue in storage vent that could on occasion cause the odd gorge to fall to his death.
    . added some props around mine entrance powernode to help with skulking
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2014
    While it is a neat idea, many problems exist with the balance of this map. Keep in mind that all and any scenarios that I bring up in this post are in a hypothetical world where both the alien team and the marine team are of completely equal skill level.

First of all, the southern tech points are entirely too marine-sided.
    iGtwMPO.jpg
    QzFUnxC.jpg
    hrdlxxQ.jpg
    k032u36.jpg

While I realize that the design of the map is not intended for the aliens to expand south, there are situations where you will be entirely forced to do so. If you start at Auxiliary Node, you are forced to expand as quickly as possible. The tech point is not designed in such a way that aliens can easily hold it, forcing them to expand north (since expanding to Mine Entrance would be futile). However, as is an issue in ns2_docking, marine pressure purely dominates the north side of the map, easily denying all and any expansion.
    FN6AjRS.jpg

Storage has another issue with arcs. Except instead of it being from the north side, this is from the south side. Which of course is much easier for marines to hold/reinforce/traveltimes/gg
    YWob7EM.jpg

That about sums it up.
    Also I found an exploit.
    wIat8iF.jpg
    TSeCh7w.jpg
    thanks for feedback, i will look into the issues but having every tech point unable to be arced outside of the room is unlikely due to the original docking issues
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    I believe this could be a very fun map, similar in playstyle to Veil (aside from the double node room) if it was tweaked to be a bit easier for aliens to expand up north (or just harder for marines to deny)
    edited October 2014
    i thought of closing off access from energy reserves to supply yard completely also turning gully pass and mine entrance 180deg so that the tech point would be in the bottom right instead of top left
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Ok i also had also a short run through this maps and the main issues which came up (beside as gibs already pointed out that the western tech-points are ways too alien unfriendly ):

-The Alien entry in the rr didn't worked for us.
    - This map suffers still from the main issue of docking that (even so the run time is a bit longer) it's for marines ways to easy to harass the alien expansion over energy reserves.
    A good protected pg there can mean a instant win for marines. Because arcing the two near techpoints is very easy and aliens are can't cyst towards.
    Ofc a easy fix for this would be making mine the only marine start point ;)
    edited October 2014
    changelog 011

. Swapped mine entrance and gully pass around (tech point now in bottom left as opposed to top right.
    . Sealed off energy reserves to supply yard (vent is still usable)
    . vent from central to mine entrance now goes to gully

A226203BE3A963466BECFC04B398B49A9BE0DF90
    . Swapped mine entrance and gully pass around (tech point now in bottom left as opposed to top right.
    That looks better.
    plays better to, had a few recent games on forgotten and its my current fav map :)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited October 2014
    I guess you have a lot of work ahead. I don't want to write a wall of text so i'm gonna be brief.

I did not play the map on public, just wandering here and there for tactical analysis.
    I did play the original map (young Docking, and Rockdown).

Facts:

Line Of Sight:
    Maannn! these are huge.
    ca263ced506a8768eca4a72a6b79df.jpg
    You may want to address that issue.
    I did test with a GL. So if there was a 'collision' the nade would bounce left, right etc.. I was able to shoot really far away. To an extend i couldn't see the explosion (maximum distance for entities)

Timings
    100349ac230e9e9357906ce00248fb.jpg
    Not bad but Energy Reserves is a little short.

ARCing
    That may be a huge issue.
    3bf44a3bb4ee96ed3918f14eee2e51.jpg

I think that even competitive team would try sometimes. Especially to defuse from a distance a strong fortification in Energy Reserves. 1 Arc cost 10(RF) +5(Up) +10(Arc) =25.

-Energy reserve allow to ARC 3 RTs and a Hive
    -Pipe Run is also a strong position. Helped buy the LOS to the hive (covering ARC) you can reach 2 RTs and a Hive without many efforts.
    -East Access is a good place to ARC System (big LOS too)

Technicalities / Bugs or ToDo things:
    Balance:

Supply yard is a Lerk fun park. The catwalk in there would be an issue for commander. The marine will try to protect himself from spikes under the catwalk. A commander will obviously have trouble dealing with this.

This vent is a gorge bile bomb spot. With the help of clogs a gorge can ruin this spot using bile bomb.
    656e582f8ddae9a844af3bae2a7a8c.jpg

Ability to evolve gorge on the scaffolding above the PN
    ad0b954aa61c2111ea54dd4ee54859.jpg

You can hide in the upper structures a little too easy in the whole area. not only this screenshot.
    0ca42867f5323afe46ab75b11c1dbf.jpg

A hive fully grown (100% mature) should allow to drop the corresponding harvester.
    34c3c3807c54974415460e2cf0b65c.jpg
    c1f2dd32bcadf123be7cdf7a27b52f.jpg

IMO a Lerk will definitively use this to an extend it could be considered OP.
    6a5e9e0b1779ad1ecd663dde4ba5bc.jpg

Bugs or missed things:
    I'm stuck. I thought i could pass through.
    5b361303e370ecd88af3b0498f1cef.jpg

Back on the corner, if i strafe on the right i end up wiggling.
    5c4a86a2c8418b1fcd459acb9e7ef8.jpg

You should take care about this : a skulk is able to walk on the air ceiling.
    5cbcdea318a594b737586cbc7ba700.jpg

Perching yourself:
    Use collision to solve
    047d12e11490f268e1afc8bcb7c41b.jpg
    c919b5b74733bf0053a2875fb020a4.jpg

There may be an issue with 'Pathing' in energy Reserves : Its on the left and right of the power node. A whip did not find its way and could not move anywhere. I did put it on the corner along the yellow line.

Cosmetics
    Rail
    1c86e349942c1433878da85641b46f.jpg

Maybe you should update the reflection probes
    ac3443548b5712612cc6cc23bbabae.jpg

Minimap hole
    a90ac2dac3d9ab2893d9e938fafc86.jpg

Props alignment ?
    8b4e7c774fce459414d982c7725116.jpg
    Also these spots are really interesting spots for alien but there always a light in there while it sound illogical.
    2cc8b0e0e70be91062f5ef7e00a9f0.jpg

Empty pipe full of nothing is empty
    e6ce6d4a80e867a227ac441a08f179.jpg

Hole
    a51d9eea88f52631fcf24026a9d998.jpg

Things i hate
    Vent should be alien territory until JP
    6debceb61f92f09f59a685c688728a.jpg

You may hate me now.

Edit : Second post incoming...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited October 2014
    thanks for the feedback i will update the map with some changes at a later date