ns2_forgotten

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
edited October 2014 in Mapping
[img][/img]ns2 forgotten is a new map that is almost finished. This is no ordinary map though. It is a hacked and chopped map comprising of all the best locations from long forgotten official builds and maps. Primarily it features rooms from rockdown and early docking. The reason why i wanted to do this is because there was so much hard work put into those long forgotten rooms it would be a shame to let them go to waste.

The map also comprises of new areas that help to blend it together.

The only areas left to do to finish the layout of the map is locker and onos bar. locker being missing in the overview

after i am finished the map will have no resemblance to any current offical map since all the docking rooms that are shared between early docking and current docking will be gone from this map and replaced.

53658A1FC244DB8F6B4B1A663443B308B3E07A7A

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Great idea! Hope it plays well. Good luck with all the texture screwiness that comes with moving around rooms though! (Texture lock loves to fail when it would be most inconvenient... :( )
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited October 2014
    its worked great, mostly becuase there arent any dodgy triangles that would screw up textures like on custom maps, all done within a 1 grid

if i was to rotate my own custom level about it would be a nightmare :)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    its worked great, mostly becuase there arent any dodgy triangles that would screw up textures like on custom maps, all done within a 1 grid

if i was to rotate my own custom level about it would be a nightmare :)

I think it's the non-planar faces that mess up the texture lock. I've got a bunch of trims on Temple that screw up even if I don't move them (ie click move gizmo with snap on, but don't actually change the position).

EDIT: What map is that second-to-last screenshot from? I don't recognize it.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    To make it as confusing as possible, name everything things like "______ control," "hydro_____," "East/west ______," "_____ generator/s," "sub_____," or "access____." However, since we're all accustomed to subs being in the south, controls being on the west, and hydro/watery things on the east, jumble everything up!

I'm kidding, of course. Looks interesting, hope to play on it some time *cough*servermodsplzmorecustoms*cough*
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    SWEET GORGE OF NAZARETH, IS THAT A PART OF ROCKTOWN, AND THE OLD TRAM?! (Bottom right area)
    2cough wrote: »
    To make it as confusing as possible, name everything things like "______ control," "hydro_____," "East/west ______," "_____ generator/s," "sub_____," or "access____." However, since we're all accustomed to subs being in the south, controls being on the west, and hydro/watery things on the east, jumble everything up!

I'm kidding, of course. Looks interesting, hope to play on it some time *cough*servermodsplzmorecustoms*cough*

I've wanted to make a troll map with an "east ____" area on the left, "central ____" in the corner somewhere, a room called "main" that isn't a TP area, same with "home", and "base". Also have to have a small room called "Marine Start" that isn't. Then, to top it all off, a key location called "ready room". ("guys, come to ready room", "okay", *loses all P-Rez*)
    edited October 2014
    its a rather insane layout, my biggest worry is how that res node in court will play out

im going to try to come up with original names for the locations to make it feel like a new map.

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @deathshroud‌ Is this on the Workshop? I couldn't find it.
    not yet but i just finished up connecting it all together. Now all thats left to do is make it work as a map
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    Does it visually look like Docking? It would be kinda boring to have another map looks the same as one that already exists.
    edited October 2014
    it doesnt look like docking at all

its look is a cross between jambi and refinery, just 1 room left to do occlusion on.

im also retexturing and redoing the lighting as well in alot of areas
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    All the top of the layout looks like the old Docking I'm afraid.
    edited October 2014
    Pelargir wrote: »

it does with minor changes, for example the res node in maintenance is no longer in maintenance and ballcourt has been replaced with a completely different room. Gen has also been altered. The map shares no resemblance with current docking however and most ns2 players have never played old docking and it will feel completely different to them.

Im also giving the map a complete lighting and texture pass so the rooms feel alot different

The map should be finished by tonight ready for testing so we will all find out.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    Pelargir wrote: »

it does with minor changes, for example the res node in maintenance is no longer in maintenance and ballcourt has been replaced with a completely different room. Gen has also been altered. The map shares no resemblance with current docking however and most ns2 players have never played old docking and it will feel completely different to them.

Im also giving the map a complete lighting and texture pass so the rooms feel alot different

The map should be finished by tonight ready for testing so we will all find out.

Will be interesting to see how it plays and is received. I was never a fan of docking myself, I could never say exactly what is it about it though that makes me not like it as much as the other maps. Layout does look very similar to the old docking though ;)
    been redoing lighting and texture work to make the map blend together, it will be an on going process but for now a few areas are donel I think you will agree that east wing now has a very different feel to it.

Mine entrance, 1 of the 2 marine start locations
    0CB6545AAC8C4F128D1413FB4A0CA2E2C154E482

east access, the first area to get a lighting, texture and prop overhaul.

1D354A0DBE3E05C1B1442C7109AA3BB1F96334F5

FDE1D2FEB8206183D8A1B83E5FEAE50AA78DD680

FB3836CD612FAA19899CC2DE01AB0EABB2DFE595

the only thing stopping me is i cant remember how to build an overview, so i can then make sure its all working. If anyone can remind me please do.

• logan3logan3 switzerland Join Date: 2014-10-11 Member: 198931Members
    edited October 2014
    copy:
    START "Overview Map Generator" /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2" Overview.exe %1 ns2
    Pause
    intoo a text file
    then reneme the .txt part of the file to .bat
    then you can move the level file onto the ... .bat file
    the overwiev is generated in the natural selection 2\ns2\maps\overviews folder
    there it's ready to use

this is one of 3 possibilitys if i remember well , (works if the path to ..\natural selection 2 in the .bat file is right) works for me
    thanks worked perfectly
    edited October 2014
    map is now on the workshop and working
    53658A1FC244DB8F6B4B1A663443B308B3E07A7A
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Put that bad boy on the workshop :)
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Looks good! I am looking forward to playing this. It can be a bit confusing at first if you have played the old maps that forgotten is based on but I like the idea of recycling.
    Changelog 002

First update to the map and as you would expect alot of fixes. Overall feedback has been good but a few balance issues...

. No gorge should be able to bile a tech point from any vent
    . Map has been made a bit brighter
    . more texture and lighting work on various rooms
    . A new vent added linking wooza's stand with rock down. This is to help sooth the "Old Maint" balance issues.
    .more of storage ceiling has been walled up to prevent skulk access.
    . some props were removed to reduce clutter

any feedback would be great on the map.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Is there any other way you can address this feeling that the people who've played the old maps get when they walk through the respective areas.. the one that let's you think you're on docking/rockdown...? I'm intentionally being vague. Maybe have changes to distinguish this map... always have colour in my mind. Some sort of colour that stretches along surfaces throughout entire map can make a considerable difference.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Light is was you should use. But with proper care. To many spots and lights can have an impact on performances.
    yea im going to overhaul all the lgihting similar to east access for the entire map, just time consuming
    edited October 2014
    Changelog 003

mostly lighting overhauling and a few minor tweaks.

. tech point in auxiliary node moved backwards.
    . more prop work done.
    . lighting overhauled in all rooms.
    . res node in mine entrance moved closer to the tech point slightly

edit- was an issue with file not found, its sorted.

8096AB01741264ABC145C0C11D5A333188B23CBA
    AE9CBEB6813A545AEF2C9D97B41269539A0B9C76
    B188225FFCECF3282ABA34F034640CDDCA56B5FA

• moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Don't make the whole thing red!
    Gully Pass is such an awesome piece of geometry that I really wish it were a main route rather than a dead end.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Things to note.

Bugs:
    Drifters can't build Fusion Hive.
    Pipe Run to Rock Down as Cysts is impossible.
    Storage is filled with places you can't put buildings as Aliens.

Bad map design:
    Gorges can bile bomb from tunnel on Mine Entrance.
    Mine Entrance res can be sniped from System too easy.

• CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    http://www.twitch.tv/cyber_kun/b/577901622

I command. Much wows, abuse the shift.

http://www.twitch.tv/cyber_kun/b/577906747

Second game had an idiot Alien commander ruin the game. I was also eating Ice Cream for half of it so the camera sits a bunch.