Explosives

Comments

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    james888 wrote: »
    RapGod wrote: »
    I don't really understand emp effects on aliens... are they cyborg?
    These are aliens of which we which we know little about their biology. Nanite technology has come a long way since the prewar era too. An emp blast does appear to have odd effects on kharra chemistry.

Besides the realism, I do agree that pulse grenades are weird.

Lol wut.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2014
    Who said its emp blast? maybe it's just electric shock? I do not think GLs are to powerfull, damage is right. The problem is that You cannot acuratly say when its coming from and where did it go. Highlighting nade projectiles would be the right way to fix that. I would add a litle smoke trail to. Making bounce sound more loud would be nice. I can never tell where the granade is unless its going strate at my face.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    RapGod wrote: »
    I don't really understand emp affects on aliens... are they cyborg?

Nerve gas damages armour, work that fucker out.

Nerve gas would affect most living things (?), but emp? Come on, realism.

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    A Pulse grenade is actually a stun grenade that delivers a strong pulse of high voltage electrical energy, which disrupts the nervous systems of Kharaa and Homo Sapiens alike.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The slow derailment of this thread.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @meatmachine, please tell me more about the difference between a gas and a vapour :P
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Nerve vapor grenade confirmed
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2014
    Gas is gas in natural state. Vapor is solid or liquid in it's natural state, but something has caused it to evaporate, or in a solid's case, vaporize.

Usually things like lack of pressure or heating cause this to happen and certain factors can prolong it's vapor form even when pressure/room temperature return to normal.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @meatmachine, please tell me more about the difference between a gas and a vapour :P

Maybe 'more of' was not the best choice of wording, but vapour and gas do refer to distinct things, right? ;)
    The word vapor in its natural state is a solid or liquid at room temperature. However, a gas in its natural state at room temperature would still be a gas. Example: 1) steam would be a vapor because at room temperature, it would be water, which is a liquid. 2) Nitrogen (a gas) at room temperature would still be in a gaseous state.

To make it more simple, a vapor is a substance which has experienced a phase change. Whereas, a gas is a substance which has not, and will not experience a phase change.

Gas is a state of matter while vapor is not.

A gas is a substance above its critical temperature but below its critical pressure, while a vapor is a substance above its boiling point temperature.

A vapor is a gas. To me, the word, "vapor" suggests a gas that was formed by evaporation of something that is a liquid at room temperature. For example, water vapor. It also connotes a gas that can be seen.

So hen a gas condenses to liquid, two physical processes are possible. In one, the phase change occurs via nucleation and growth- small liquid drops spontaneously form and evaporate, but if a drop is larger than some critical radius, it will continue to grow ('nucleates'). This is the most common phenomenon of a gas-liquid (or liquid-solid) phase transition. Less common is 'spinoidal decomposition', which leads to coexistence of a gas and liquid phase- critical opalescence. I don't know if a spinoidal decomposition can occur in the liquid-solid transition.

SO

Gas is one of the 4 states of matter which are solid, liquid, gas and plasma, vapor does not classify as such. It is just a substance it is gaseous form.
    Vapor can turn back and forth into liquid and solid states but a gas cannot
    Gases cannot be see while vapors are visible
    Vapors settle down on ground while gases do not
    Does actually explain a couple of things, including the visibility and behaviour of the nerve gas
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    I was thinking about alternative effects that pulse grenades could have, and I came to the conclusion that they should make the alien become a ragdoll that spasms its limbs in a random fashion.

This would allow for tactics like pushing giant onos bodies with exos to make a wall in around arcs, making them almost invincible.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Higher level of consciousness?
    Doritos?
    ILLUMINATI
    tumblr_lvlspfFPD01qfcc2a.jpg
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    If the nerve gas also got the aliens high, start talking about how they've reached a higher consciousness. Also that they really fecking need a bag of doritos.

...oor a kebab.
    Kebabs work.

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Warning.

Critical Derailment Status Imminent

Evacuate Immediately.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    IronHorse wrote: »
    It can be closed at this point really considering that the subject is being worked on.
    https://trello.com/c/DJnlDPE6/603-increase-visual-scale-of-the-gl-rounds-and-add-make-it-highlighted-in-av

I think it's reasonable to add a glowing texture to grenades to increase their visibility. Even "outdoor" FPS games set in well lit worlds such as TF2 and Tribes, where random grenade kills are unlikely have them.
    edited October 2014
    Have I been blown up suddenly by GL's? Sure, but in my experience, I've been able to overcome the challenge maybe 85% of the time, with less than <10% close calls (to which I adapt and it isn't a problem) and maybe <5% of the time I get killed suddenly. Of that small 5%, first I identify that I should have been more cautious retreating while injured, I adapt, learn from it and move on with a lower life form to help where I can or rallying the team to go for an end-game strategy.

The highlighting is a welcome change and I hope it helps, but I have serious doubts it will change how people use GL's and are blown up by GL's, especially if they don't learn from the experience. Ironically it might be "Oh there's the orange highlighted grenade with unknown detonation timer, let's see if I can get past before getting blown up, if not I'll make a post about it" ;)
    ^ Yeah see this is where I'm coming from, but some people just prefer to complain.
    I've lost very, very few life forms to GLs in the grand scheme of things, and when I have, I've identified that there are things I could have done differently to avoid putting myself at risk.

Dont jump into the snake pit and whinge when you get bitten!
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    You guys should try the compmod GL, it's pretty ridiculous and i'm sure if that'd be in the game you'd be yelling for damage changes. :)
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    The explosive shotgun really is pretty ridiculous, if you were to change one thing it would be the amount of self dmg done if the projectile explodes in your face.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    sebb wrote: »
    The explosive shotgun really is pretty ridiculous, if you were to change one thing it would be the amount of self dmg done if the projectile explodes in your face.

Personally, I'd rather have FF enabled for GLs so that people using them get shouted at and they're never used again in the normal meta but that's just me of course.

I remember playing AvP2 and in that game, some weapons were considered OP or cheap but the vast majority of people never used them because of that exact reason, they'd get abused and cursed at for using them. Every new player starting with marine picked up the smartgun, a ridiculously OP weapon to spawn with as it auto-aimed enemies including cloaked predators in range (basically an aimbot) but rarely did people use it after their first few matches.
    Ots wrote: »
    You guys should try the compmod GL, it's pretty ridiculous and i'm sure if that'd be in the game you'd be yelling for damage changes. :)

I'm not even sure what point you're trying very hard to make here. We're talking about vanilla here, which by your comparison should be "less ridiculous" for a public player.

Comp mod is intended for players who want to play a competitive set of rules (generally unforgiving) which tend to have 6 v 6, making each and every player on a team have a huge impact on the other. However, in public 9v9 - 12v12 play, I could see excessive use of GL's would also leave huge open gap in that strategy.

Again, for the last time. Me being a non competitive (not playing in any kind of team), yet a competent pub player, have not been experiencing these problems that have been described by some in this thread for over an enormousness amount of hours spent playing this game, an edge case in my opinion.

If anything Shotguns kill lifeforms more often than GL's. It wouldn't make any sense to nerf that too so it couldn't kill an injured Fade who allowed himself into a compromising situation.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What if I told you the GL isnt a problem until you get on large playercount clusterfcks where a team can have 4 gl's spamming a room and still have enough players to protect them?
    edited October 2014
    I'd tell you the game was not designed for large player count clusterfks, just as it is not balanced for anything less than 6v6. a 16v16 game with a hilarious amount of onoses or fades is just as insane an argument.

Not unless the game gets coded to adjust dynamically to make any range of players viable, Damage increase on less players and damage nerf on more players.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    I'd tell you the game was not designed for large player count clusterfks, just as it is not balanced for anything less than 6v6. a 16v16 game with a hilarious amount of onoses or fades is just as insane an argument.

Not unless the game gets coded to adjust dynamically to make any range of players viable, Damage increase on less players and damage nerf on more players.

The point is that the game SUPPORTs up to and including 24 player servers and I don't think people are referring to servers greater than that. If a change that does not affect competitive 6v6 but helps elicit a positive response in larger servers then that type of change shouldn't be discarded for something as simple and mundane as "Ehh 24 player balance doesn't matter". If it DOES interfere with the balance of comp 6v6 then I would agree that implementing solely for the benefit of larger servers is a bad idea.

If I may provide an analogy as I do quite often, SC2 void rays are brutally OP in some aspects on 4v4 ladder against rookie players because they don't understand how to beat them but because the pro scene is quite often reliant on said units, they aren't changed much because it could drastically and negatively affect the game at the pro level. This is a good assessment to have regarding the polarity in balance but like I said, if there's no real impact on the pro/comp scene from such a change, I and many others I would hope would welcome it if it overall improved the game.

GLs, while not as insanely powerful on servers like Wooza's, are still a frustrating trap to play with and against at the 20-24 player range. People use them and might gib your fade and lerk now and then but they also lose games because people aren't using shotguns/rifles vs onos. You end up with a gameplay mechanic that only functions to frustrate, create a trap for newer players and doesn't teach people properly that GLs are inherently bad overall compared to a shotgunner in the role of flexibility and reliability.

@joshhh People aren't really arguing against that in fact that's what most of the complaints are taking into account, power increases exponentially which is why a small player damage change or nade highlighting would be a decent change without compromising too much while also accounting for the balance of 6v6.

Personally, I wouldn't have GLs in the game in their current form but I can understand why people might want them to stay even if its a detriment.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Gls serve a purpose in the game in my opinion...of course it's balanced for 6v6...but from my experience the majority of pub players do play 10v10