Things you love about commanding.

CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited September 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I've been comming a lot recently and I figured I'd make a "good times" thread about it. We all know what stinks when you comm, either you make a poor call and it costs the game, your team simply doesn't listen to you, or your team is simply outgunned.

But what about those things that make you smile with the deep sense of satisfaction that only commanding gives?

My two favorite things are both as marine comm.

I love it when you get into a groove of medpacking where you keep a single marine alive against terrible odds just long enough for another group to come up and get the last bit of damage in on that pesky lerk. Sure you just spent the value of Weapons 2 on a single lerk kill. But that lerk is dead. And that feels good.

I also love it when I see a life form coming up behind a marine and holler at them to turn around just in time for them to shut it down. It's a small thing, but just knowing that that marine would be dead without your watchful oversight makes you feel good.

Besides that, there's also the feeling that comes when you dutifully scan your naturals for tricksy gorges and you spy a whole team about to barrel down on your poor little base power node. That "ha ha I see you" feeling is great.

What about you? What are your finest moments of Commanding?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love when my team listens to everything I say and we win. First of all doing what I ask is nice. Then since we win directly from my commanding is a great feeling. I am not a great commander and this only happens when I am commanding a rookie team that listens. If I am with veterans I just get overloaded. Still though, it is a nice feeling.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I remember one particularly entertaining round on mineshaft (loool) back when railgun exos were introduced. I decided to do an exo rush, and for a change, the *entire* team listened to my orders. We held 4 res nodes, didn't overextend, I think we didn't lose a single extractor during this phase. As soon as the tech was done and I'd started armour upgrades (before weapons ups affected exos), I beaconed everyone back, and exactly half the team went exo and the others bought welders and out they went, and took down the hive at the first attempt.

Those rounds don't happen very often, but boy when your minions teammates listen to you and successfully carry out the team plan, that feels epic.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Any match where your team listens and obeys is good.
    Any match where on top of the above, the team also provides valued feedback and insight is even better.
    Any day where the above happens for continued matches with random teams is a gift worth praising.

sadly i get to praise few... ow wait... positive topic..uhm... See above. :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The red button, also the reason I'm not allowed in the chair anymore :>
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Successfully echoing out a harvestor under attack will never stop being funny.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    personally i like it when pub players listen to me
    Even if it's only once, i feel i've accomplished something.
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    commanding a successful nano rush, holding and then a quick phase gate is always immensely satisfying

rush nano boyzzzzzZzzZZZZZZzzZ!1Z1!11one!
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    getting yelled at for having more Tres than you know what to do with is always a good feeling. oh and logging out just to steal someone's downed shotgun :))
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    joshhh wrote: »
    Cat Herding Simulator 2014.

Fix'd
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    I recall one game in a pub on HBZ with many skilled players. We played marines and were kind of overwhelming. Just as we were about to crush the hive from both sides, I scanned before my troops went in. I see on the minimap a tiny gorge icon traveling across the map. I scan our natural and see 9 alien players rush for our base. I giggle, and waited patiently right before they entered our base before I beaconed, dropped all the chairs, and we completely crushed the otherwise well coordinated alien rush.

Voice chat exploded. Nerdgasms everywhere.

Tiny details like seeing a gorge icon travel across the map could mean the difference between winning or losing - I love that.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Winning as a marine commander on pubs. It feels like an achievement on its own, because the marine zerg(tm) usually has the combined intelligence of a potted plant and will refuse to shoot a hive when there's even just a single skulk in the room, and while chasing every single other gorge and getting killed in their traps, they're afraid of engaging the one that's currently biling half a dozen of arcs.

Alien commander - when you can save the day. That moment when a higher lifeform gets chased and trapped, and survives because those last 40 bullets hit the sudden bone-wall instead of the 30hp-Onos. When your quick glimpse through one of your skulks eyes reveals the incoming hive rush in the next few seconds; and before they arrive, all upgrade chambers are already echoed elsewhere. That one out of a hundred games during which you drop a sneaky hive and bring it up, turning or winning the game with it.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Luchs wrote: »
    Winning as a marine commander on pubs. It feels like an achievement on its own, because the marine zerg(tm) usually has the combined intelligence of a potted plant and will refuse to shoot a hive when there's even just a single skulk in the room, and while chasing every single other gorge and getting killed in their traps, they're afraid of engaging the one that's currently biling half a dozen of arcs.

Alien commander - when you can save the day. That moment when a higher lifeform gets chased and trapped, and survives because those last 40 bullets hit the sudden bone-wall instead of the 30hp-Onos. When your quick glimpse through one of your skulks eyes reveals the incoming hive rush in the next few seconds; and before they arrive, all upgrade chambers are already echoed elsewhere. That one out of a hundred games during which you drop a sneaky hive and bring it up, turning or winning the game with it.

Oh man. the Ninja hive. I haven't done one in so long I forgot about it. But it is always a good thing.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Luchs wrote: »
    Winning as a marine commander on pubs. It feels like an achievement on its own, because the marine zerg(tm) usually has the combined intelligenceexperience of a potted plant and will refuse to shoot a hive when there's even just a single skulk in the room, and while chasing every single other gorge and getting killed in their traps, they're afraid of engaging the one that's currently biling half a dozen of arcs.

Its more a lack of experience than a lack of intelligence.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    1. Give order that seem to make no sense in current situation (but it does to you).
    2. Executed regardless, no questions asked.
    3. Enemy team caught off guard.
    4. Win. You are strategy master.

Just trust your commander. If I have to explain why my plan is brilliant, it will probably fail.
    A good example would be the same strategy, but one time I did not announce what it is all about, and just named who should go where and build what, and it worked perfectly, even tho nobody had any idea why they should do it (they trusted me). However, that other time when I explained whole idea, team made the worst mistake - they started thinking. 'Ah, I guess it will be better for this tactic if I build my tunnel in other room/save it for later/build hydras instead/save for fade instead of going gorge right from the start'. No it won't.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2014
    I also love commanding pubs while using a Gandalf voice. Proclaiming marines are receiving the 'Wizards blessing' in the form of 2 min-catpacks and nanos. This particular experience only works if you address each marine as 'Champion.'
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    edited October 2014
    Going shade, and getting that hallucination on 3/4 your team making it seem like a mass zerg attack....

Getting that catpack/nano/medpack on a marine that manages to kill a higher lifeform.

Seeing a alien rush come before hand, be ready to beacon, and just watching it approach like "come at us"

There's also something oddly satisfying about giving ammo to a marine that is out and asking for it.

Blowing up mines with sneaky cysts. (A marine actually suicided before by being near his mines as the infestation hit)

And of course, unique and different strategies....(rushing a1/w1, sentries, or pg isn't unique)
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    One of my best moments commanding was during a NSL Game,
    Playing marines we held cross roads with pg and reactor core, 2 onos came out just as we got jet packs, the onos then rushed into reactor core then atrium where 1 marine held them off while the rest of the team took the pg to crossroads, went reactor core and hunted the onos, they retreated through summit reception where I then beacond the marines made them take the pg to crossroads and managed to kill at least 1 onos.

Was great :)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I get a lot out of marine commander personally, you rely on your team more and they rely on you more, a superbly executed symbiotic dichotomous relationship in contrast to the less involved alien comm. Some games where people listen to me and get stuff done then I can do some pretty motivating things.

Not really a commander in this position but similar and one of my fondest NS2 memories in teamwork:
    - Game on descent 24 player
    - Silent marine comm all game, I'm on the ground
    - Haven't had 3 bases all game but we have hydro and all our tech is in hydro while also having a good RT count
    - Aliens eventually get xenocide
    - Half team tries to concede and call GG but not me
    - "f**k it, listen to me team"
    - Get my entire team of 12 people including the comm to listen to me to my amazement
    - "Everyone buy a weapon and a jetpack if you can afford it"
    - "Beacon to hydro and rush drone bay" do this multiple times alternating between bases and confusing alien defense
    - Take down 3-4 alien hives and upgrades, lifeforms die left and right from the marine zerg, they take down our main in monorail but it doesnt matter
    - We eventually get aliens down to 1 hive with no upgrades and no res
    - Aliens concede, marines go nuts on mic

Games like this are rare but when they do happen, it reminds me why NS2 is freaking awesome.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited October 2014
    the otherside - the worst situation:
    * you are commanding
    * you are placing a blueprint / nobody in base / nobody needs assistens
    * you logout to build the blueprint

and RIGHT THEN

somebody who never COMMANDED BEFORE jumps into the chair:
    * you are talking to him / her via voice-chat but he / she is not responding at all
    and then:
    * he/she is dropping no assistens (medpaks, ammo) & you are losing map control
    * either - he/she is building nothing: no rts, ...
    * or - he/she drops useless stuff: 2 armory in base, robotics + turrets, alien upgrades somewhere on the map, not using drifters at all, ...
    after he/she got ejected from chair:
    * he/she leaves the server

i hate this SOOOOOOOOO much.
    this is why, i nowadays never go out of the com chair!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    Playing marines we held cross roads with pg and reactor core, 2 onos came out just as we got jet packs, the onos then rushed into reactor core then atrium where 1 marine held them off while the rest of the team took the pg to crossroads, went reactor core and hunted the onos, they retreated through summit reception where I then beacond the marines made them take the pg to crossroads and managed to kill at least 1 onos.

That particular round was one of my all time favorites too!
    MaxAmus wrote: »

Was that recorded because I think I remember watching that. It was great.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    I also love commanding pubs while using a Gandalf voice. Proclaiming marines are receiving the 'Wizards blessing' in the form of 2 min-catpacks and nanos. This particular experience only works if you address each marine as 'Champion.'

I tried that once with my Plankton voice. None of them got it, or cared about stealing the Krabby Patty secret formula. Damn kids...
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    i had a lot of fun commanding pugs where the player count is low enough to call everyone by name and to be aware of where everyone is and what they're doing

it's a shame that experience doesn't really translate to 10v10+ pubs
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Rupture.
    I seriously can't spam this enough lately.
    Nothing better than sneakily cysting up to marines' forward PG and rupturing/bonewalling the shit out of the marines as they phase to defend against stuff they can't even see (because their eyes are covered in goo)
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Trying new tactics and the team supporting you is great. Since the nameplates its been great to call out names.

I also appreciate team feed back, a lot of comms are single minded but being flexible to move on threats or an opportunity is great feeling. Also like Khamm at the moment, though Im a big user of whips to defend places like overlook from early rushes I still believe that's a good tactic.

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    Cattle Herding Simulator 2014.

cat herding simulator 2012

oops, got beaten to the punch (this is the edit after I read all the posts).
    damn.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thing I most enjoy about Comming (and this game in general) is the maturity of the community (no joke). I love after a really good game, everyone in the RR is so friendly to each other (like saying bl, and analysing the game on what went wrong). And if you did a good job as comm, your team will thank you, and the other team will actually acknowledge your deeds, like "nice comming", f**king med spam, holy crap, lol".
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Rupture.
    I seriously can't spam this enough lately.
    Nothing better than sneakily cysting up to marines' forward PG and rupturing/bonewalling the shit out of the marines as they phase to defend against stuff they can't even see (because their eyes are covered in goo)

I Remember a few games on Biodome when someone from marine team would sneak up to west Junction and be building a phase gate. I'd bone wall them and they couldn't finish the gate before the team responded. Such rage. But excellent feeling as khamm.

Other times are when they build the gate fully, and just have to tap power to get it working, then you bonewall power and your team mops up the marines. I do love my bonewalls.
    Thing I most enjoy about Comming (and this game in general) is the maturity of the community (no joke). I love after a really good game, everyone in the RR is so friendly to each other (like saying bl, and analysing the game on what went wrong). And if you did a good job as comm, your team will thank you, and the other team will actually acknowledge your deeds, like "nice comming", f**king med spam, holy crap, lol".
    I very much agree with that. It's super nice to have a community that really just wants to play the game. They don't trash talk much (obviously you have to dis the regular you just made flash a lifeform, but beyond that, not much) and most of the time they recognize when they've been outplayed. Very nice change of pace from some other games. I guess what helps is that since we're all in this together on a team, a loss is rarely just one person's fault.