Webs

SedoxSedox Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187139Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Silver
Hey folks,

a friend and I thought about the rare use of webs (the gorge upgrade you've probably never seen in a game) and why this is the case. Whatever the reason for this is, we both came to the conclusion that we did not use them ourselves because they're easily dodged. How about changing webs so that they are getting cloaked by veils and on the other hand increase their ressource cost to 2. What are your thoughts about it?

Cheers,

Sedox

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I believe they are still used in comp play, but I can't say for sure since I dont do comp play.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Been discussed but I agree - I rarely see any webs.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    coolitic wrote: »
    I believe they are still used in comp play, but I can't say for sure since I dont do comp play.

They have gorges in comp?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Suggestion: Invisible even without a shade, but able to be spotted at mid/close range when using a flashlight, such that the closer you get, the more visible it becomes inside the beam. It might be too much of a performance hit to implement though.

There's no reason to increase the res cost.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    In comp mod, you rarely have a gorge arround the time Webs can be researched, so yeah.. (maybe it's a biomass problem, I don't remember what biomass you need but it's pretty high)
    But I guess res cost for using webs is not that much of an issue. When you have a gorge late game, he's not gonna save up for any other lifeform, so 2 res down for a lot of webs, I don't see the problem.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    In pubs I see webs used much more, but they're less useful than they feel like they should be because by the time they come out, flamethrowers, nades and GLs are not far off.
    I think a lot of comms aren't used to researching abilities individually anymore too- It's kind of engrained that bile is the only worthwhile gorge upgrade.

but bare in mind if you reduce the bio for webs, they can be super OP early game.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    if it is somewhere around biomass 4-6 it's not earlygame anymore
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2014
    I've not seen webs used in comp play since like ever. Even on pubs it's extremely rare to see them. It's on biomass 5, so that's all right imo. But it costs 1 pres to place one string of web, making it a rediculously overpriced pres sink. If you want to see webs used more, cut down pres costs for placing them. Don't need to do anything more fancy.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yes we use gorges in comp, well thankfully at least in the lower divisions.

Webs come out to late to be of serious use and atm are more of a 'we won, have more fun' mechanic.
    Late game marines have jetpacks to dodge more websm, explosions to nuke them away. I havent even had the chance to test if a welder destroys webs but so rarely are they used.
    If you make it to early game its a strong risky res investment which can be quite OP. Not sure its worth the res either way.

Webs are limited anyway, I would say remove any pres cost and just put a small delay on it so it cant be spammed. But still useless on the biomass we have it on now.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Webs are limited anyway, I would say remove any pres cost and just put a small delay on it so it cant be spammed. But still useless on the biomass we have it on now.
    Agree, even though, will they still be used if they were available at lower biomass ? (still researched). Do gorges even put down hydras ? some yeah, sometimes, even rarely, although they can be pretty useful.
    webs (high biomass, consequent res investment) vs hydras (no research, not that costly although gorges usually prefer saving up for onos (early game) for another gorge (if they die tanking bullets during fights) or for another tunnel)

Maybe make webs less expensive, make less webs available, and research them in biomass like 4 (at least second hive)
    That would force the mid-game thing. (because too OP in early and useless in late game)

I don't know, these are just random thoughts

• KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    When we reach the biomass to research webs, we are already deciding on, adv. Metabolize, umbra, spores, onos charge, or hive chamber upgrades.....all of which are better than webs.

Decrease biomass req even further.....and like many said, too underpowered for the res investment atm.
    Or just no research (or biomass 3), just res cost (3 or 4 webs max : 1 res per web)
    I don't even know if people will use them, in comp mod. when you see how often hydras are put down. I mean that was the whole point of starting with 15 res instead of 20, to reduce nerf the gorge haha
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I like the idea of every biomass granting you an additional map. Give some nice scaling and is neither OP in the beginning nor UP in the later game.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2014
    biomass 2 or 3
    automatically researched
    costs 0.5 to put down. each following biomass increases res cost by .1(?) to a maximum of 1
    edit: maybe a capacity limit per gorge based on biomass
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Automatically researched and free to place, but how many webs depends on biomass. Make webs cloakable. Auto researched and free wouldn't even be a problem because you have to wait for biomass. Only being able to place one web at the start of the round would not be a game breaker.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @MauvaisVitrier
    Yes, any perm gorge worth its gorgyness uses hydras.
    I just wish webs were a viable addition.
  • zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
    Make webs work like a hook for gorges? That would be a lot more fun.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    zolja wrote: »

Maps should work for gorges like the ninja rope from worms.
    An entirely new way of skill based movement!

:D
  • SedoxSedox Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187139Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Silver
    Maybe change

Maps should work for gorges like the ninja rope from worms.
    An entirely new way of skill based movement!

:D

I'd really like to see that. Like "Gorge of the jungle" swinging through the map :smiley:
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spider-Gorge, Spider-Gorge,
    Does whatever a Spider-Gorge does.
    Can he swing from a web?
    No, he can't, he's a Gorge,
    Look out, he is a Spider-Gorge!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Makes me think of an old tfc mod back in the day where you could shoot hooks to latch on to whatever building and have it reel you in quickly. Was very, very satisfying in a spider-man like way.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    2cough, same thing in Quake2.