Upgrades

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
So we have shift hive, crag hive, and shade hive. Everyone has their preferences, but almost every game I play is a shift hive where everyone chooses celerity. I personally do not understand why this is so popular. People have said it is because the commander can echo out harvesters, but at least half of the games I play commanders don't do that. Why is celerity so popular? So you can close the gap quicker? So you can dodge better? Personally I find carapace regen incredibly more useful on all life forms.

Why is celerity the defacto choice on pub games?

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Personally, I think i'm just too used to it. I feel like a brick flying around as lerk (or fade on occasion) w/ out celery. When I comm, I normally go shift because some of my meta involves being able to shift mature structures out so i can avoid their most vulnerable state and hopefully save some res, not just rts. I don't have anything against shade or crag 1st, I make use when other comms do it. I just tend to feel like I can be a more effective comm w/ shift 1st. Plus I like enzyme mist more than mucus membrane since it was changed. Hallucinations can be pretty dang helpful also...
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Celerity is the most popular first upgrade probably because of its maximum potential. The extra speed could cause marines to miss more often, and potentially outperform the (approx) 30% health increase Carapace provides. Gorges and Lerks can also escape dangerous situations easier with Celerity, and dead Skulks can return to the front line quick.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I feel so alone in my crag love!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I hate SHIT (read. shade) hive, it makes the game more static. It gives you advantage in first 3-4 minutes. Don't take me wrong it's not a rookie hive, like most players think. It realy needs much teamwork to make it very effective, and you have to hold all 3 tech points if you lose one its realy hard to take it back. And it just don't fit my game style. Carpace hive is good, if you have gorge that will heal you, but if you have to go back to hive every time you receive damage it's a waste of time. I agree with 2cough skulk is like a jumping brick. With Shift hive you can easly bite go back to hive heal and go back fast! You have enzymes that is giving much more power. And ofcourse echo realy helps to save structures (upgrades), and you can do a lot of cool tactics with it. Echo whips on retriving exos etc. Shift hive is number one, always in my opinion.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    the faster you're walljumping round that corner, the larger the advantage latency gives you (you see him before he see's you, if you're the one breaching cover, remember!)

Effin hax is what it is ;)
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Depends on the team, I often like to mix it up with Shade, very rarely do shells first though, I don't have an excuse... forgive me... :((
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    I hate SHIT (read. shade) hive, it makes the game more static. It gives you advantage in first 3-4 minutes. Don't take me wrong it's not a rookie hive, like most players think.

The hell? Who thinks seriously that shade is a rookie hive?

Personally, I like shift and shade best, because they give me mobility and new abilities, while crag only enhances "tankability" of aliens, which is a playstyle I don't really prefer in any game.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I hate SHIT (read. shade) hive, it makes the game more static. It gives you advantage in first 3-4 minutes. Don't take me wrong it's not a rookie hive, like most players think.

The hell? Who thinks seriously that shade is a rookie hive?

Personally, I like shift and shade best, because they give me mobility and new abilities, while crag only enhances "tankability" of aliens, which is a playstyle I don't really prefer in any game.

I think it's a matter of punctuation. I read it as "Don't take me wrong. It's not a rookie hive like most players think."
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Carpace hive is good, if you have gorge that will heal you, but if you have to go back to hive every time you receive damage it's a waste of time. I agree with 2cough skulk is like a jumping brick. With Shift hive you can easly bite go back to hive heal and go back fast!
    You forget regen though. Regen you don't need that gorge to heal you. You don't need to run back to hive. If you can hide for 2 seconds during most engagements your fully or almost fully healed as a skulk. With a lerk you can even just leave the engagement for a second and be right back. Regen is really good with an onos too.
    the faster you're walljumping round that corner, the larger the advantage latency gives you (you see him before he see's you, if you're the one breaching cover, remember!)

Effin hax is what it is ;)
    I guess your right. I have heard from some players they can't get kills without celerity. I feel like I can get double kills with regen though.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    I think there's another factor that increases the effectiveness of shift hive on pubs: server sizes. Generally more players is going to cause more performance drops on marine side. So their hitreg and aim will be less effective. Add fast moving aliens and latencies and interpolations are increased. Making the upgrade pretty beneficial.

On a side note, I do love how almost all hive paths are currently viable. I don't remember ever before in ns2 history a time when realistically any upgrade is viable first. On pubs or on comp play (though shift is kind of weak in comp play)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    My Gorge loves Adrenalin
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    To some extent I feel like people just don't like change and they want the stability of a predefined build order, whatever that might be. Throughout the entire life of NS1 and NS2 there has always been a cookie cutter order of upgrades that the community decides is best at a given time, and 90% of games used it. I literally can't remember a time where this wasn't the case, although it's changed hands a couple times with major patches (I.e. DMS vs MDS)
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I avoid shade first in games with lots of rookies or newer players. Phantom tends to make newer players stop moving around the map aggressively, and instead move slowly, often waiting in one place for extended periods. Don't get me wrong, ambushing players is a good tactic and one of the easier ways to win an engagement, but your skulks have to keep moving or you will rapidly lose map control. If you hear a Marine coming down the corridor, of course you should get the drop on him. However you shouldn't sit somewhere for more than say 30 seconds on the chance someone may come down that way eventually. All that time you're not engaging is time that an RT could be getting taken down, Marine patrols harassed, your rear areas scouted for ninja phase gates, etc. The best defense is a good offense, and phantom is an offensive perk that is often mistakenly used defensively. Also, newer players often don't realize that it only makes you 90% or so invisible even while standing still.
    -The Hallucinate ability of the drifter is amazing, and probably the only reason I'd like to move shade higher in my order, but only useful if your players are on the front line (which IMO shade discourages).
    -The Ink ability is only useful when your hive is being assaulted, especially with ARCs. But usually those sort of things only happen later in the game anyway.

With shift, as mentioned earlier, you get a large increase in speed that in turn becomes faster reinforcement and increased patrolling. Your skulks are more likely to organically patrol your back areas because they won't be out of the fight as long. You'll have more skulks on the front line more often. And of course a good player can turn that bit of extra speed into a tornado of teeth and claws.
    -The drifter's enzyme is also incredibly useful for helping your team win an engagement or bite down an RT, getting them back on patrol faster.
    -Echoing structures is damn useful for rescuing upgrades from a Marine push, or saving a little bit of rez by echoing a shift to your newly dropped hive instead of building a new one.

I generally go crag second, but if my skulks are less skilled or the Marines have good shooters, I'll bump it to first. The extra time to kill give your aliens a chance to get in one more bite, which could sway an engagement markedly. It also makes life a little more forgiving for your early game lerks and higher lifeforms should they find themselves in a bind.
    -The difter's crag ability (can't remember the name) is much more useful when higher lifeforms start coming out because it only regenerates armor. Skulks have negligible armor armor to regenerate, while an Onos has tons.
    -Healing wave is also wasted on Skulks, since they have so little health the time saved is marginal. It only becomes useful when you have lifeforms with much more HP and armor.

So, my personal order is Shift->Crag->Shade, unless my team is bad (or the other team really good), in which case it's Crag->Shift->Shade.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited September 2014
    As for crag vs shift start:
    Crags usually benefit gorge and lerk more (so wait a bit for its full usefulness). Shift hive benefits skulks more with celerity and so its full usefulness is immediate as skulks benefit a lot from celerity (another reason it has become sort of default in pubs because it used to be the only hive that could spawn eggs)

Shade is a bit of it's own thing and the reason is that it not all pub players are able to use it effectively, but IMO i love shade start. You should always check with your team first when considering a shade start.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Shift is sort of default for alien pubs because its probably the most flexible, cel benefits all lifeforms, adren benefits early gorge, enzyme for structures, shifting structures, improves mobility and sets up nicely for the mid game with fades and lerks.

I'm at a strange position for crag in regards to when to use it. So I'm wondering if any vet would know this. Is crag better than shift vs good pub players? Good players mainly mean good pub players who are capable of pubstomping an average server and who can compete individually with divisions 3-4, maybe 2 if they're really good. HBZ, YO and KKG servers come to mind.

Overall: shift >= crag (depends on maps and players but either one is generally equal if you use crag correctly) >>>>>>>>>> shade.

Playing yesterday and someone defined shade quite poignantly "Shade is both annoying to play and annoying to play against". It has power but that power is countered too easily and if your team didn't cripple marine res early on and didn't get a second hive earlier for upgrades then you're pretty much dead. As a marine and if I know my team knows how to counter it, I can sum it up quickly "GG guys, they went shade, we win".

Shade just requires too much of a departure from standard shift/crag NS2 that most people don't know how to play and still many don't know how to beat it which puts it at a position where, can you win the res game in the first 5 minutes? If not, GG.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neoken wrote: »
    I actually prefer crag hive first, shade hive second as of lately. Celerity is nice, but regen/cara is more useful for higher lifeforms imo, as is mucous compared to enzyme. Fades have metabolize now to compensate for the lack of shift hive anyway. And I like using shade hive to spam hallucinations when it's time to make a big push in the mid/late game. Cheesy yes, but it can be very effective.

I'm curious. I prefer focusing on shift with early metabolize to put some serious speed on the fades and without them messing up on energy (saw a lot of fades doing this in competitive NS2 before metabolize). I know that regen is buffed on compmod but not in vanilla yet, would be nice to see it brought in to see some varying hive play.

I'd be interested to see how much difference the buffed regen would make in more people favoring crag hive.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I feel like shift is chosen a lot because it gets the aliens where they need to be on the map faster, even (especially) if they're getting slaughtered in combat.
    edited September 2014
    Carapace does negate some of the advantage of early Armory upgrades: Mines and Shotgun. Skulks can survive one, sometimes two mines with Carapace, and it also drastically increases Skulks' chance of surviving a Shotgun blast, as well as against the pistol (which deals Light damage).
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited September 2014
    Map control is crucial in the first minute of the game. Celerity helps aliens get across the map, giving them more map control. So, celerity is crucial in the beginning of the game because it can affect the rest of the round.

not a small server person
    RapGod wrote: »
    Map control is crucial in the first minute of the game. Celerity helps aliens get across the map, giving them more map control. So, celerity is crucial in the beginning of the game because it can affect the rest of the round.

By that logic, I could say: Carapace helps aliens win engagements, giving them more map control. So, carapace is crucial in the beginning of the game because it can affect the rest of the round.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited September 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    RapGod wrote: »

By that logic, I could say: Carapace helps aliens win engagements, giving them more map control. So, carapace is crucial in the beginning of the game because it can affect the rest of the round.

I'm talking about map control, if you read that. Carapace doesn't help skulks that much in the beginning (or really after marines get w1). Sure, they may hold a spot for a few seconds longer, but then they die and have to traverse the map to get back there. By then, marines probably own it.

Your "logic" has nothing to do with aliens gaining more map-control.

How many extra bullets to kill a carapace skulk with one shell? Two? Three? Honestly asking, I don't remember.
    By two and three - I mean shells.
    edited September 2014
    By that logic, I could say: Regen helps aliens win engagements, giving them more map control. So, Regen is crucial in the beginning of the game because it can affect the rest of the round.

I should of used regen, because I specifically really like regen. I feel like in most cases I can do a lot better with it in an engagement.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Shift hive : drifter assist really useful
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    75% of the pub comms going shift hive first do not use drifters to support but only to build and let them die while building or while ideling next to a build rt.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Shift hive : drifter assist really useful
    Enzyme doesn't boost speed or biterange anymore though :(( Only really worth using against structures
    Funny how hallucination is probably the best combat support drifter ability now (extra targets + meatshieldz).

I never did hear the reasoning behind changing the shift/crag drifter abilities so much. I guess they were considered OP or too hard to balance?
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members

Anzestral wrote: »
    I don't know why most pub comms go shift hive first. Against good aimers shift gives you almost no advantages as skulk or lerk, it only becomes usefull for the fades, but by that time you should have the second hive up anyway (at least with good regen lerks who could play efficient).

In a pub game I played a while ago someone insited on shifthive first instead of crag hive. I tried to tell that one that crag is far more useful, but the answer was that shift is better because gorges can escape more easy and gorges are more importand than lerks :D

A decent number of pub games can be ended with bile + skulk rushes, and many happen because Aliens get locked to 1 hive with no other options. Shift hive is simply the best for base rushing.

Is the drifter Crag ability even good anymore? It used to heal armor at an insane rate, but it's still 2 res for a small armor boost and the cost adds up quickly. There's also no guarantee that you are even going to see people evolving Lerks in pub games, let alone good Lerks.

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Desther wrote: »
    There's also no guarantee that you are even going to see people evolving Lerks in pub games, let alone good Lerks.

If Anzestral is saying go crag to help lerks, he'll lerk, and he'll win.