Factions

2»

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Your little update.exe program crashes on me unless I run in administrator mode. I don't suppose there's a way to make the program request this, is there?
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Sewlek wrote: »
    uh, its not so dramatic really. the mod was broken for a while (partially because of steam work shop being so damn unreliable) and is atm again "under construction", which means its in a buggy state again. but we played some games last weekend and I want to make another test this weekend as well

Is there any way we could get Factions added as a standalone, free-to-play game on Steam? I really enjoyed playing it when it was first introduced, but it is now so rarely played that I can never find a game. Having it as a free to play option would bring in a lot of players that could also be tempted to later purchase NS2.

From reading forum comments from other PC shooters, there is a fairly large portion of the PC shooter community that want games with a longer TTK, and Factions provided that brilliantly, required better tracking skills over raw twitch skills (giving it a lower skill floor for lower skilled players). It has great potential, but right now it needs a lot more players.

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i would love to have it f2p and standalone, but thats not possible atm.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Your little update.exe program crashes on me unless I run in administrator mode. I don't suppose there's a way to make the program request this, is there?

which OS are you using? In which folder did you place your files?

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    i would love to have it f2p and standalone, but thats not possible atm.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

which OS are you using? In which folder did you place your files?

Windows 7. I made it in a folder under Program Files (x86) called "factions". It works now, just had to modify the folder's security settings. Silly defaults.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    ok, i wanted to suggest to put it somewhere else :) i dont want to have stupid popups anytime you start that program, especially since it wont require anyway special access rights
    22-03-2014

- new user interface
    - added fall damage
    - various bug fixes
    25-03-2014

- added new engineer drone (ground based, hit scan, uses ARC model)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Are there any recent online videos of the Factions in action?
    i dont have a new video, but here are some screenshots of a map i was working on during the weekend:
    f_ast_platform
    edited April 2014
    the "technical" part of the body armor stuff is done and implemented. there are though only 2 armor models available, and no tooltips, but it works: http://i.imgur.com/sAY4OuE.jpg?1

edit: and yes, it looks a bit cluttered, thats just best i could have done in one day. im definitely open for any feedback regarding the UI (gameplay as well but there isnt much going on atm)
  • KelrathKelrath Join Date: 2013-06-03 Member: 185459Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would love to give this a shot but I keep getting a "client outdated" message even though I just downloaded the latest from your link. Do I just need to wait until a new version is out?
    edited May 2014
    sorry for the late response. that was a problem on my side and should not happen anymore. you dont need to redownload anything, just click on "play" and your client should update properly again

edit: oh and i got now a dedicated pc setup for hosting the game server, which hopefully will be online 24/7
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    so, the question was brought few times to me recently "hey sewlek, can i use this or that from factions in my mod?". in general, yes. you can use ANYthing. it would be of course nice if you mention my name somewhere in a file included in the mod, but dont worry too much about that. i made the whole mod for fun and everybody can use any parts as they want to. if you need the source files of anything, just message me

Did you stop working on Factions?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think Andi has been too busy with his day job. :P
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    What is this and why was I unaware of it until 2 minutes ago.
    edited July 2015
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    What is this and why was I unaware of it until 2 minutes ago.

It was a pet project of Sewlek's that regrettably succumbed to not enough time, and not enough interest. :(

Spent many an hour in the lobby, never actually getting to play a game. :(
    the game itself was actually surprisingly stable and bugfree, and to a moderate degree balanced (considering i only did 1v1 most of the time when testing with a friend haha)

i wanted to "finish" the project, but mod downloading didnt work well for huge mods, and general player base of ns2 being too low and well, the player base is interested in a very specific game (which is not a synchronous TF style shooter) let to not enough interest on the project. there were rare moments we actually got 6v6 games going, those were damn fun though
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's fun. I enjoyed playing it the little that I got the chance to - but for me there was simply way too much "content". Too many choices. NS2 is a game that demands a lot of your time to learn, but seeing how many different tech paths that were in factions really put me off.
    Which is a shame, because the mod was otherwise well done in my opinion.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    What @SantaClaws said. The ready room games were always fun though, spent more time playing those for sure.