Why NS2 will only ever be a niche game.

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
Let me start out by saying I love NS2 and all UWE have done. I have got a great many years of enjoyment out of NS and NS2, but even I knew NS2 could never be a mainstream success, as I'm sure UWE were too. Remember, all this is my opinion, nothing more.

There are a lot of different reasons why people leave NS2, but the most obvious is the difficulty. The golden question is how to keep NS2's unique appeal, and make it accessible to the masses. I am here to say, it is not possible.

People often cite games life TF2, L4D2 etc, for various reasons, but I want to point out that the unique point that makes NS2 such a great game, will always be a bar to mass-accessibility.

Like RTS games, NS2 is a game of resources, if they aren't managed correctly, spent wisely, and guarded well, your tech dries up. In a FPS centred team game, if you are losing, the other team, may tech up, but you don't lose what you had. It is one of the reasons that combat is so popular, it doesn't punish you for losing.

NS2 really punishes you if you are losing, and while it brings a great gameplay element which all of us who stick around really love, we have to accept this element is the very thing that denies general acceptance.

Build NS2 on what makes it a Natural Selection game, and you will attract a solid hardcore audience, maybe attract some of the old NS players back. Just make sure the game stays true to itself, and accept it will never be a monster success, but at least it will be a great game with a committed, if small, playerbase.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Agreed. Given a choice of having a blander, but more popular game, versus the game we've got now albeit with fewer people... I'll choose the latter every time. That said, there's always room for improvement as far as player retention goes, without sacrificing the game we've come to know.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    NS2 really punishes you if you are losing, and while it brings a great gameplay element which all of us who stick around really love
    Someone loves that??
    Who would possibly love being kicked when they are already down, or worse, be the one doing the kicking? o.0

I think it's fair to say that you can bring many RTS elements over and mix with FPS just fine... but some just don't work, similar to how you could bring FPS into a RTS but not entirely every aspect.
    So I think it's fair to say that some of those elements brought over reduced mass appeal, sure... but i wouldn't go so far to say anyone loves something that most consider a downside.

If you have any awesome ideas to address it though, you should make a mod, I think places would accept such a change :)

• ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    what he mean is : Marketing this game , make it have Match making for pub play + Server list like TF2 for pug game
    Server can have Competitive mod , mean while Match making will give player to vanilla server with out mods
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Who would possibly love being kicked when they are already down, or worse, be the one doing the kicking? o.0

I didn't mean the experience directly, I mean we know when playing, that falling behind makes the game much harder, and we like the challenge. We don't like it when we get kicked, but we appreciate the challenge is there.
    If you have any awesome ideas to address it though, you should make a mod, I think places would accept such a change :)

Unfortunately I am between houses for an unknown period of time and working off a laptop not capable of running NS2. My time is currently spent on a new project where I am delving in C++ and Lua on an open source engine, and having great fun. It can run on my 8 year old IBM Thinkpad :)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Really. So many threads like this. /facepalm
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would say that performance is the main reason people leave. People have a lot less patience for learning a game if they can barely run it....
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    these threaaaaaaads
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't see this thread like many of the others. It's got some positive in there. I agree that NS2 will never be a mass-appeal game, just as NS1 wasn't. Making it the best game it can be is obviously the goal of the CDT, as it was the goal of UWE before they started working on Subnautica. It's already pretty awesome :)
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    edited September 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    NS2 really punishes you if you are losing, and while it brings a great gameplay element which all of us who stick around really love
    Someone loves that??

I think it's fair to say that you can bring many RTS elements over and mix with FPS just fine... but some just don't work, similar to how you could bring FPS into a RTS but not entirely every aspect.
    So I think it's fair to say that some of those elements brought over reduced mass appeal, sure... but i wouldn't go so far to say anyone loves something that most consider a downside.

I am a [Ns2] masochist. :>
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I don't see this thread like many of the others. It's got some positive in there. I agree that NS2 will never be a mass-appeal game, just as NS1 wasn't. Making it the best game it can be is obviously the goal of the CDT, as it was the goal of UWE before they started working on Subnautica. It's already pretty awesome :)

I just don't see how this thread can really lead to anything. The thread title is just stating a fact. Ns 1 and 2 are, and always have been, niche games. Being positive or negative isn't the issue - it's just a thread stating the obvious and now unfixable issue of ns. We can only hope uwe doesn't make subnautica too much of a niche game (which, it doesn't appear to be).

Not trying to sound rude or a hater of the game. It is what it is (and has been).
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Benson wrote: »
    I would say that performance is the main reason people leave. People have a lot less patience for learning a game if they can barely run it....

main reason for the initial lack of playerbase, even if the game began to run at 500 fps constant I doubt you'd see people come back this far after the games release, it's like terraria. the game had an unbeatable playerbase at start because of the games good launch, but unstable info from development and then a random large patch did lead to players returning.. but they NEVER hit the numbers they hit near release and players did not stay playing for as long during release

something about games being already out for a while makes them much harder to bring back
  • BerendBerend netherlands Join Date: 2014-03-25 Member: 194955Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    People are not leaving ns2 because the game is too difficult.
    ns2 is basically a completly noobified version of ns1 where defensive play is rewarded and aggresive play is punished, this resulted in the fact that competitive players stay away from the game because they feel it's a waste of time.
    Not to mention that you need a beast of a computer to get decent fps.
    The ENSL is probably the main reason ns2 even exists and those players did not play ns1 till 2012 for the hl1 engine graphics, they played it for the gameplay and the high skill ceiling.
  • NeoQuaker1NeoQuaker1 New York Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183182Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I've always thought of NS2 as sort of a country club of gaming. The quality of gamer you see in NS2 is simply higher on average than a game like COD. COD is like an amusement park, that gets a lot more traffic, with a much greater and diverse player base. While that is fun sometimes, I'll take the more sophisticated experience of NS2 over that anyday.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Niche isn't necessarily bad.

while we all want ns2 to have more players, it was never gonna be the big blockbuster hit. it did pretty well. niche games can have smallish but devoted player bases. ns2 is a bit too small for comfort at he moment tho hah
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    kmg wrote: »
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Niche isn't necessarily bad.

while we all want ns2 to have more players, it was never gonna be the big blockbuster hit. it did pretty well. niche games can have smallish but devoted player bases. ns2 is a bit too small for comfort at he moment tho hah

More players = More $$$ for UWE >> You cant feel bad with that :)

Beside Casual and competitive player still can enjoy liek old times >>> Counter Strike GO did that great with ranking system like "Newplayer Rank >> to Global Elite"
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    First off, I don't understand why people think NS1 was niche game. It was one the most popular FPS shooter in its prime. That is something when you think how unfinished versions 1.x and 2.01 were. When first stabile version NS1 was released, the mod was already 4-6 (my memory is failing me) years old and even then it was a popular game. It was never as popular as CS, but NS1 was mod without any marketing and its first version was totally unbalanced, laggy, bug manifest and performance nightmare (does that sound familiar). Of course back then people didn't play video games as much as now, so overall numbers could be lower in NS1 than in NS2, but saying that NS1 wasn't popular game is just plain wrong. It was popular and extreme complex; those two can live with each other like NS1 proved.

Nowadays players want finished products and stuff around the game like ranking systems and some poor RPG elements like achievements. If you think current FPS games, have there been any new game mechanics in last 10 years? L4D is my only example of new game concept, and it takes lots from HL mods like Sven co-op. Pretty much all FPS game mechanics we have seen in last 10 years already existed in some form during golden age of HL1 mods. That is just sad. Once the most popular (and competitive) game genre is now joke because of really dull game designing. I guess people after all wanted more than just new shiny graphics as FPS gaming in in lowest phase in its history.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It was popular because of the times and the players of those times.
    If you released a re-skinned Quake 3 or UT today it'd have below average sales, (just like UT3 did) and would be eclipsed by sales from your average MOBA.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Bacillus wrote: »
    You could say Dota 2 should be a niche game. Obviously it has the Valve benefits of huge publicity and resources and all that, but as far as I can tell, the game itself is probably more complex, deep and unforgiving than NS2 is. It's a lot about selling the idea that the game is worth learning and making the learning a fun experience. To be frank, NS2 hasn't been all that good at it.

At least NS2's toxic player percentage is lower than dota's =P
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    If you released a re-skinned Quake 3 or UT today it'd have below average sales, (just like UT3 did) and would be eclipsed by sales from your average MOBA.

to be fair, unreal 3 sucked really bad and didn't play like the originals

watch unreal tournament when it comes out, guarantee you it'll have much higher sales (its pc only)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »

to be fair, unreal 3 sucked really bad and didn't play like the originals

watch unreal tournament when it comes out, guarantee you it'll have much higher sales (its pc only)

The new UT will be free. If that doesn't bring arena shooters back, nothing will.
    edited September 2014
    Quake 3 live is free and runs on a toaster... and last I checked it doesn't have many players at all.
    I doubt past the initial release that UT will fare much better, unfortunately.

People today commend and pretty much require Tomb Raider like skill curves where the player starts off absolutely incapable (you cant jump, attack, do anything really) and you spend half the game just acquiring capabilities (that are taught to you, no less) that games from ten years ago would just give you from the get go. The game essentially treats you like you've never touched a video game before.

This is done so that any person can play the game... which results in more sales, of course, and is ultimately why this is done. Hardcore FPS games just can't accomplish this.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    It's also spawned one of the most awesome mods ever, methinks.
    http://www.urbanterror.info/home/
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Quake 3 live is free and runs on a toaster... and last I checked it doesn't have many players at all.
    I doubt past the initial release that UT will fare much better, unfortunately.

People today commend and pretty much require Tomb Raider like skill curves where the player starts off absolutely incapable (you cant jump, attack, do anything really) and you spend half the game just acquiring capabilities (that are taught to you, no less) that games from ten years ago would just give you from the get go. The game essentially treats you like you've never touched a video game before.

This is done so that any person can play the game... which results in more sales, of course, and is ultimately why this is done. Hardcore FPS games just can't accomplish this.

Right now two of the biggest games (Dota 2, CS:GO) on steam are based on 90s or early 2000s games. Both are very enjoyable to play even for a older generation hardcore gameplay addict like me and offer challenges way beyond anything I can cope.

Quake Live is a bit of a weird thing, the game itself is still a beauty. It had no steam access and ended up getting brushed aside probably. The payment system further divided the community quite a bit, I think. Also, the game modes - especially dueling - are pretty much a mess for any newer player. I couldn't really get into dueling despite trying, due to lack of opponents and especially opponents of even remotely same skill level.

QL is going to get relaunched in Steam soonish, I think. It should be interesting to see how it fares, especially if they for example manage to integrate the smooth and modern steam matchmaking into it. I'd definitely be grinding a duel ladder if there was a functional one. Also, the payment stuff is at least a lot less divisive if it runs under steam payments.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    wouldn't resource upkeep help? Instead of linear increase in resource gathering it becomes logarithmic. so you still get the benefit of more resources but you aren't accelerating away in the resource game.
  • simonstellarsimonstellar amsterdam Join Date: 2014-09-14 Member: 198509Members
    Agreed with the OP. NS2 isn't a scratch on the original game. I would say Natural Selection was the best HL mod by some way, and we waited for so long for a sequel to find it's not great and there's so few servers I have to spend a long time finding a decent game. The original had dozens of hard fought matches at one time. My friend got me the game and I feel bad as I don't think much of this.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Draconis wrote: »
    It may be a niche game, but still it is alive. Tribes Ascend went out in 2012 as NS2 and it is dead now. And dont get me wrong Tribes Ascend ( at start ) was really good.

Great game, but lag compensation with the projectiles was a bit annoying. Progression system could of of also been better.