Steve's Dev-Stream-of-Consciousness

2»

Comments

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    you're right, but we can basically turn the knob as much as we want. so 10 to 100x is definitely doable. The only limit is the chunk borders, where we can't simplify in order to avoid cracks to some extent.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SteveRock wrote: »
    This is so we can support terrain modding..

I'll be honest: I'm a horrible horrible person inside sandbox games. If you let me ravage the landscape with explosives and whatnot, that's probably all I'll end up doing. Just so much fun! Like wiping out entire villages with TNT in minecraft, or wiping out your computer by making entire islands out of TNT.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    This shadertoy is amazing Steve, its making me trip out messing with the values

• TentaculeTentacule France Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190179Members
    It looks very very promising !
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Looks very promising. Thanks for the update.

So is going from 57k to 23k triangles per "3D area" enough of a reduction? I was thinking on the order of 10x to 100x reduction being required to fit the visible scene into memory.

You would be surprised by the amount of triangles modern GPUs are able to handle.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    LumpN wrote: »
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Looks very promising. Thanks for the update.

So is going from 57k to 23k triangles per "3D area" enough of a reduction? I was thinking on the order of 10x to 100x reduction being required to fit the visible scene into memory.

You would be surprised by the amount of triangles modern GPUs are able to handle.

Crysis 1 (circa 2007) will easily have at least 1 million on the screen at most times.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    There are tons of other factors that affect GPU perf, and triangle count is only one. But these days it's not uncommon to push 3 million tris. But it totally depends on so many things..like how many of those triangles are not getting z-tested away? etc. etc. etc. etc. There is no simple answer...despite what GPU/console marketing would like you to believe (good general rule: information from marketing is worthless at face value. it is a suggestion to find out more at best)

If you're interested in learning more, this is a good place to start: http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch28.html
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SteveRock wrote: »
    (good general rule: information from marketing is worthless at face value. it is a suggestion to find out more at best)

I thought this was common sense :D

(If that statement comes as a surprise to you: This applies to all products, everywhere)