UWE - do you have any last tricks up your sleeve to help the dwindling player base?

13»

Comments

• d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    From what I've seen, most of the people who stick around have this system or better (CPU GHZ particularly)

I actually play on a core duo 3.0Ghz E8400 to be exact.
    Performance is acceptable (though I have 8G ram and run a GTX650).
    all graphics options are low and I get 60-70 fps early game (40ish on high action maps), and it does degrade late game (probably 15-20) (gl spam and lots of things on screen when we assault the last hive / cc).

Have you considered overclocking your CPU?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2014
    The_Ranger wrote: »
    Pick a day (weekend most likely) where a large amount of players (from all over the world is best), would be able to steam on twitch. The more streamers the higher chance of viewers, the more viewers - higher up on the game is NS2 will be.

With NS2 higher up on the game list the higher chance of getting new people to NS2 to watch and learn and hopefully buy/play.

Twitch is the highest, free exposure. It doesn't cost a dime to stream, so long as enough ppl have the cpu power to do so.

Or something of that sort.

a couple dozen people streaming the game at 1-5 viewers isn't going to do anything. as somebody said before you, you need high profile streamers to play. Lirik is the highest viewed FPS streamer (the lowest he pulls is 15k, typically 20+) and he's not terribly bad either, so I think he would be ideal. get somebody that plays the game at a high level (as they will understand it best) to give him and future players in his chat tips, they need a likable/not annoying personality over everything though. this is more or less how Nosgoth quadrupled its average player base, and that's basically a console game.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    From what I've seen, most of the people who stick around have this system or better (CPU GHZ particularly)

I actually play on a core duo 3.0Ghz E8400 to be exact.
    Performance is acceptable (though I have 8G ram and run a GTX650).
    all graphics options are low and I get 60-70 fps early game (40ish on high action maps), and it does degrade late game (probably 15-20) (gl spam and lots of things on screen when we assault the last hive / cc).

Have you considered overclocking your CPU?

Hmm, good point. I would have, but I am planning to get a system upgrade later this year (yes!!!!). So, i will retire this old beast and give it to my son (he is 8) for his gaming rig :-)

J
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    @turtsmcgurt‌ Assuming Lirik likes the game enough to want to invest in it. He, just like every other player unfamiliar with NS2 will need to learn it, I'm sure he'll fair better than an average Joe.

But another thing you may want to consider, is Lirik may not want to play just any game, I assume he's not the Pewdiepie of twitch, he may only want to play the games that are popular or rack in the most traffic, as he may have some stake or personal investment in the viewers he gets in order to get the $$$.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Same idea applies to view it. Just open a lot of tabs, and everyone watch 5 other streams while streaming, just mute them all.

That being said, I made my post without reading the other persons post.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2014
    @turtsmcgurt‌ Assuming Lirik likes the game enough to want to invest in it. He, just like every other player unfamiliar with NS2 will need to learn it, I'm sure he'll fair better than an average Joe.

But another thing you may want to consider, is Lirik may not want to play just any game, I assume he's not the Pewdiepie of twitch, he may only want to play the games that are popular or rack in the most traffic, as he may have some stake or personal investment in the viewers he gets in order to get the $$$.

yep. i only said that he would be the ideal candidate. as somebody else said, I remember Sacriel playing the game and really enjoying it with Hugh teaching him how to play, but seeing as how I haven't heard of him playing beyond that one time i'm going to take a wild guess and say he was paid by UWE to play and didn't want to give a bad review to his viewers. i have no idea how he's doing now a days when it comes to viewership, I remember him hovering around 2.5 half a year ago though.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Yea... saying they paid him... id say a big no...they dont have that kind of dough (and probably the lawyers) to afford it! :p
    edited September 2014
    is it really so bad for a company to pay a person to play their game? i think that's just called cheap and effective advertisement. You guys may have misunderstood my last post thinking I said that they paid him to give good reviews? now that is bad, of course.

i think paying a popular streamer and doing exactly what I said in my first post would help the game significantly more than any of the previous free weekends. assuming you have a high level player talking about good practices, basic game mechanics and whatever else to the streamer and viewers, the viewers who decide to purchase the game won't be as brain dead clueless when they start like they are normally and will be less likely to uninstall the same day due to the complexity/lack of tutorial or instruction.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited September 2014
    is it really so bad for a company to pay a person to play their game? i think that's just called cheap and effective advertisement. You guys may have misunderstood my last post thinking I said that they paid him to give good reviews? now that is bad, of course.

i think paying a popular streamer and doing exactly what I said in my first post would help the game significantly more than any of the previous free weekends.

Are you joking? Paying someone to play a game/to review a game for advertisement is probably one of the most frowned upon practice in gaming 'journalism' along with paying someone to review well.

If you want to advertise a game well with word of mouth, the game needs to be able to stand up on its own without the influence of money.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    i only said that he would be the ideal candidate. as somebody else said, I remember Sacriel playing the game and really enjoying it with Hugh teaching him how to play, but seeing as how I haven't heard of him playing beyond that one time i'm going to take a wild guess and say he was paid by UWE to play and didn't want to give a bad review to his viewers. i have no idea how he's doing now a days when it comes to viewership, I remember him hovering around 2.5 half a year ago though.
    UWE has never yet paid anyone to play/review any of our games
    "Yet".
    edited September 2014
    sebb wrote: »
    Are you joking? Paying someone to play a game/to review a game for advertisement is probably one of the most frowned upon practice in gaming 'journalism' along with paying someone to review well.

i'm not joking, I did not know it was bad to pay a person to play your game to get their opinion on it. i hope everybody here unsubscribes from these scum!

it's not like you're going to pay them more or less depending on whether they like the game, you just want them to play it one time. something like this is dumb because it warps their public opinion about the game whether they admit it or not, I completely agree.
    If you want to advertise a game well with word of mouth, you need a good game.
    Okay, great. If the streamer doesn't like the game, who cares... he won't play it again. you can't get everyone. Back to the Lirik example from earlier, even if 5% in chat decide "Hey, this gameplay looks cool even though my lord and savior streamer doesn't like it, i'm going to buy it and check it out! it's only $1 anyway", that's ~500 new players who not only have the will to learn the game, but already know the basics from the person in mumble teaching Lirik. Who knows, maybe you get lucky and part of that 5% is another streamer who streams the game with only 100, 200, 500 viewers, who decide that they'd like to try the game as well.

edit: edited the first picture for clarification
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    i only said that he would be the ideal candidate. as somebody else said, I remember Sacriel playing the game and really enjoying it with Hugh teaching him how to play, but seeing as how I haven't heard of him playing beyond that one time i'm going to take a wild guess and say he was paid by UWE to play and didn't want to give a bad review to his viewers. i have no idea how he's doing now a days when it comes to viewership, I remember him hovering around 2.5 half a year ago though.
    UWE has never yet paid anyone to play/review any of our games
    "Yet".

That's what I first thougth, too :P
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer

i'm not joking, I did not know it was bad to pay a person to play your game to get their opinion on it. i hope everybody here unsubscribes from these scum!

it's not like you're going to pay them more or less depending on whether they like the game, you just want them to play it one time. something like this is dumb because it warps their public opinion about the game whether they admit it or not, I completely agree.

That is different, that is a paid collaboration to promote the game. I'm talking about integrity in reviewing and what would otherwise be described as 'neutral' play of a game.
    edited September 2014

That is different, that is a paid collaboration to promote the game. I'm talking about integrity in reviewing and what would otherwise be described as 'neutral' play of a game.

I'm not talking about a review at all. They don't have to say anything good or bad it if they don't want to, they would simply play it for however long is agreed upon. The people watching him will come to their own conclusion from the gameplay as to whether or not it's a game they would want to play themselves. It's not like you tell the streamer to only share positive thoughts, you would encourage them not to sugarcoat any opinion they have and to be as blunt as they want to be.
    I remember Sacriel playing the game and really enjoying it with Hugh teaching him how to play, but seeing as how I haven't heard of him playing beyond that one time i'm going to take a wild guess and say he was paid by UWE to play and didn't want to give a bad review to his viewers.
    I think this is where I may have made a mistake with wording. When I typed this I was thinking "So a guy with a couple thousand viewers is streaming NS2 with the PR guy in skype and is giving nothing but positive feedback for the duration of the stream and has never played the game on stream since." (He does have 30 hours, so he must have played it a little bit more, I didn't look until after my post) I think it's pretty fair to assume he was paid, especially considering how common it is.

basically, let's call what I described here a paid collaboration and be done with this.pls