Build 269 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited September 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 269 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Natural Selection 2 Build 269 is now live on Steam! Work never stops on NS2, all of us on the Community Development Team (CDT) have been hard at work to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Try out the force even teams vote and let us know how it works for you. We have lots of ideas for other places to use the basic logic, so we need your feedback on whether you feel that it's working.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    yay for the patch... \o/
    You may also consider explaining in more detail:

New commands for controlling loading behavior:
    res_workers n (n = number of used loading worker threads, default 1 )
    res_prelock on/off
    res_preload on/off
    res_verbose 1-3 ( turns on verbose logging at loading )
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Thanks for the new build!

How do you use those commands, where do you enter them so that you would not need to enter them in console every time you start the game.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    "Fixed Quick Join" - Any details available on what this is? Has the functionality been improved? Was it just not working at all in 268?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Hugh wrote: »
    "Fixed Quick Join" - Any details available on what this is? Has the functionality been improved? Was it just not working at all in 268?

Due to the addition of the new server performance network variables quick join got every time stucked at fetching server details as it was not prepared for those new variables.

So it was not working in 268 and we fixed it with 269.
    yay for the patch... \o/

res_prelock on/off
    res_preload on/off

All of those are client commands changing client config params.

res_workers - allows you to set the amount of worker threads which are used for loading assets yourself. Can increase loading even more by using more workers (in 268 we used 6 by default).
    But also increasing the worker threads can end in a loadtime wise nightmare at the wrong systems because more workers means more cpu and io load.

res_verbose - basically enables helpfull debug printouts which can help to track down loading issues.

res_preload - turn on/off main menu asset preloading.

res_preloak - afaik this turns on/off if the engine flushes your cache at mapchange or not..
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    yay for the patch... \o/

res_prelock on/off
    res_preload on/off

This^
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Hugh wrote: »
    Moultano also posted a thread in general discussion which goes into more detail about the changes that were made to the balancing algorithm
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

this was the bugger that was cause most of the long load time issues and antivirus problems.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited September 2014
    res_workers - allows you to set the amount of worker threads which are used for loading assets yourself. Can increase loading even more by using more workers (in 268 we used 6 by default).
    But also increasing the worker threads can end in a loadtime wise nightmare at the wrong systems because more workers means more cpu and io load.
    What setting would you suggest for the following setup to shorten loading times:
    Win 7 64bit - i7 3770K (3.50GHz) - 16GB RAM - 3 x SSD (samsung 840 pro) (OS and Steam separate ssd's)

Thanks
    zeep wrote: »
    What setting would you suggest for the following setup to shorten loading times:
    Win 7 64bit - i7 3770K (3.50GHz) - 16GB RAM - 3 x SSD (samsung 840 pro) (OS and Steam separate ssd's)

Thanks

if you are having load time issues beyond say 30secs with that setup check your antivirus again. But I have a right almost identical in spec and the longest I have waited for first load was 35sec.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    zeep wrote: »

Thanks

Try 6 for the start.

Overall if ns2 is at a SSD increasing the workers won't do anything drastically. I would guess you could improve it by max about 4 sec. But just try and see.

Would love to hear some feedback.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited September 2014
    @ironhorse , will this do anything for me after I leaked all my computer's secrets to you?

Edit - I should just message you later.
  • dirkxiedirkxie The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-12-08 Member: 189921Members
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Whatever you did this patch seems to have fixed the problem I was having where the game would hang (stop responding) if I minimized during map loading while running in fullscreen mode.

Yeah I never got around to reporting on that, but it's fixed now.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    in 2 years time i learned not to alt-tab at all with this game :D now i just have to revert to tabbing as much as i can!!!! yeay
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    RadimaX wrote: »
    in 2 years time i learned not to alt-tab at all with this game :D now i just have to revert to tabbing as much as i can!!!! yeay

I never understood why some games freak out with alt tabbing and others don't

You will 100% experience issues if you alt tab even once in a source based game, stupid things like not being able to see a scoreboard, unable to backspace, weird texture glitches and etc

Then an engine like unreal can be tabbed/untabbed 100% and still run, although it might cause a memory leak?
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    PSA for patch 269:

Tram is broken for the next 12 hours, approximately.
    Please avoid playing on it until that time when a very small update to 269 will occur, which fixes the issue.

We've had some technical difficulties with our build machine lately and the version that was published and released was not the version we thoroughly tested and approved.
    Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that this may cause you in the interim.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM

Very very nice to have a PSA but it might be worth considering editing the OP to put this in.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited September 2014
    QOUfRuc.jpg

No mods running, just running the good´ol Main menu...
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Haven't checked how much it affects anything, but i'd say it would be smart to also clear a game cache in your user profile folder in such cases. Also check Event Viewer where you might find what was the cause for it (not sure why MS doesn't show that info in an error message itself)
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice work, particularly like the fore random change because I'm such an Alien wh0re with my SSD ;)
  • AndrewwAndreww Poland Join Date: 2014-09-04 Member: 198249Members
    edited September 2014
    good job there! i'm especialy happy for umbra fix :)
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    That's just your shit PC radi :)

• warpedwarped Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186617Members
    Fixed some issues with the linux client

Do we know what exactly has been fixed? I am really hoping its the shotgun fire crash issue.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    warped wrote: »
    Fixed some issues with the linux client

Do we know what exactly has been fixed? I am really hoping its the shotgun fire crash issue.

There where a few issues when startup up the game and loading a map that could cause undefined behaviour. Opengl related issues (which from my understanding the shotgun bug you refer to is) have not yet been looked at.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited September 2014
    QOUfRuc.jpg

When ns2 crashes like this, can you keep it open, and execute the techsupport.exe file in your natural selection 2 install directory? After some time it will create a big zip file, containing all relevant information. Could you upload this somewhere, and post the link to it in a techsupport thread (preferably with the screenshot you just showed?)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, alt tab during load causing 100% guaranteed crashes hasn't been fixed. It doesn't bring an NS2.exe is not responding message like above, just can't alt tab back into the game - trying to do so replaces the windows crosshair with the ns2 pointer and I need to bring up the trusty task manager to restore peace and balance.

edit: During the precaching part of loading I should add. Before this part I can alt tab and bring it back up no problem.