De-power the individual

TheDRTheDR Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181820Members
The game needs a casual mod, a public mode, a whatever you want to call it mode- the name doesn't matter.

I don't think the ideas need a lot of work as a few balance changes would create a more even player field.

Many builds ago, everyone could be an overpowered onos.
At the moment, only a certain few can be an overpowered lerk/fade/shotgunner.

De-power the individual. The game has slowly been creeping towards a hero balance, where a single amazing player can control a whole game.
I’m a fairly decent player but we can’t save the game from an invincible lerk or a med packed shot gunner.

Obviously everything would need testing.

Marine Change:

Med pack percentages. Every new life each sequential med pack deals 20% less health. It resets at an armoury (the numbers would need a bit of juggling).

Make Exos viable in public play (more health?).

Alien Change:

For lerk, Increase the hitbox and increase the health to compensate. Make them easier to hit so they can’t do the ridiculous flying twitch that only a small percentage have mastered.

Flame could slow the fade the down (or even stop blink completely). This would encourage teamwork and would make the flamethrower more useful. It would also give the fade a specific weakness. I have had lots of games recently where one player has 27:1. It’s doesn’t work and it’s not an enjoyable experience for the majority.

I'm not saying this should be the only way to play NS2, but the people who feel left behind would like a way to enjoy the game again.

Comments

• SlorrinSlorrin Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183517Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Broad nerfing to make the game fair for noobs? And interesting proposition.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Have a look at 'band-aid mod', that might be up your alley.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    where did you find a 27:1 rookie fade? haha be glad you did not play versus 59:0 fades :D
    trust me, then this post would be called "DE-POWER THE FADE" lol
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Frankly speaking, NS2 is a fairly niche game that has always thrived within its core dedicated community, and that's okay. These half-measures are not suddenly going to create an explosion in popularity for a two year old game, but it could alienate the existing loyal fanbase. Highly skilled players are going to stomp regardless of how many obstacles you set in their way, you can't prevent that without completely neutering the game's skill ceiling.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    59:0??, long games nets 90+ kills for really decent fades on pubs, where the fade just go in swipe swipe, blink out, heal, go in swipe swipe, blink out. Rinse and repeat. Unfortunately, pubs = not enough team work to trap life forms so it is reliant on good shots to try and take down. @TheDR‌ as previously suggested, there is a mod out there that makes all classes OP - as suggested it is the Band-Aid mod (where individual skills count less, as a pack of new players can out dps/heal a vet). Not really my cup of tea.

I think what you should say is not de-power the individual, but en-power the team. Get more team work in pubs, and damn it is a enjoyable game (even if you lose). That's why I suffer 400+ pings to play in EU servers some times because the regular players that know the game are awesome to play with (that, and the fact that AUS servers are either all empty or all full).

Just a funny story... But I played on a French server once (20 players I think), and it was really cool to try and coordinate attacks when we can't use mic (I don't speak french), in the end we worked out on text (for our gorge rush...)

me: what to target? power or cc

fr player: "speaks french to others" cc
    me: cc! ok.

It was awesome to play with other people from other places and connect by a game that uses team work.

tl:dr; all the game play mechanic changes can't match having good people to play with.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    yeah i was not the fade :P just saying a typical scenario but love long game with 2000+ points and 100+ kill games where you fight and relocate basetrade and continuously battle, i played trough 2 plus hour matches many times and its always as epic! thats like the best part of this game, anytime, anything can happen and you have to always be on your toes but 400+ ping wow i feel for you man.
    i had 2 ping yesterday but left because it was only 20 people there so i got bored
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I do think they should of started with the tri-phasegate... it would have been so much better...
    The Band-Aid mod also wasn't supposed to be an effort in balance, rather an attempt at "fun" (and probably subconsciously making it easier to playtest custom maps :P ).

As for depowering, how does "Make Exos viable in public play" work towards that? It seems like a general balance suggestion.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • meth0dmeth0d Australia Join Date: 2014-06-16 Member: 196572Members
    If we're bouncing ideas around, how about..

For lerks maybe leave the hitboxes as they are but change the movement so they cant do an instantaneous 180 degree turn mid air and immediately reswoop, maybe force a slight arc or something.

For fades maybe make them vulnerable to bullets while blinking *if* they are touching a surface - as though the surface contact creates a temporary bridge to the unit in its hyperspace movement.

For marines maybe introduce a battle scarring mechanic where successive health loss and med pack usage causes movement speed to degrade over time until the marine visits an armory to regen.

• MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    meth0d wrote: »
    For fades maybe make them vulnerable to bullets while blinking *if* they are touching a surface - as though the surface contact creates a temporary bridge to the unit in its hyperspace movement.
    Fades are vulnerable all the time while blinking... no damage reduction or anything. The only defense it gives them is the added movement. I think the hitbox stays the same, too.

Blink used to make Fades invulnerable a long time ago... but I guess that was too OP :)
  • meth0dmeth0d Australia Join Date: 2014-06-16 Member: 196572Members
    Damn there's goes my excuse for not hitting them :))
  • DCMAKERDCMAKER Join Date: 2014-09-02 Member: 198219Members
    i like the lerk comment though. Instead of a 180/90 make it 160/70? that would be more realistic i think...granted i don't know the specs of how a real bird flys but i be that can be googled.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135435/would-a-handicap-system-benefit-player-retention#latest

I think so far this discussion has yeilded the best ideas for something similar to what you're thinking. But without affecting the game in any game-changing ways.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Damn there's goes my excuse for not hitting them :))
    You'll get used to it. Recommend getting used to looking *up* after getting swiped, a lot of fades will blink up after taking a swipe, and they are vulnerable in the brief moment they are floating in mid air.

Low FPS can still be an excuse? :P If I miss an alien thats usually what I use :D
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If we're bouncing ideas around, how about..

For lerks maybe leave the hitboxes as they are but change the movement so they cant do an instantaneous 180 degree turn mid air and immediately reswoop, maybe force a slight arc or something.
    I consider myself a fairly well-trained lerk in terms of movement - and as such I curse you for suggesting to nerf my lerk movement!! However, even I would admit that this is not an unreasonable suggestion.
    When ever you're in the situation where you have to do those crazy mouse movement twitches, I think you've already made your fatal mistake as a lerk, just for letting your self be in that situation.
    Lerk should be about chip damage, and maybe moving in at the opportune time for the quick bite-frag. Instead it has gotten one of the best abillities in the game to juke bullets, and as such is often the lifeform that initiates in the early to mid-game.

Changing this now however, I feel will make the lerk next to useless again. Because you need that power to initiate a crush in the mid-game before fades are out. So if we were to go that route, I suggest we try to make battle-gorges in the mid-game viable.
    I imagine it as a sort of sacrificial piece to win crucial engagements, by forcing marines to spend bullets on the gorge.

idk. I'm sitting here at work, havn't really thought it that much through, perhaps you guys can finish the thought or shoot me down.
    you don't need glider movement....think in the real world can any bird besides a humming bird pull off a 180 or 90 degree turn? i think a 170/75 or something would be blaanced and more realistic. It is near 0 turn but not quite. It would stop the 180 up and turn it to a slight and very slight curve. It wouldn't hamper attacking much...just this lerk in up down crap that is unrealistic and OP. It is equivalent of giving jet packs ESF style controls -_-
    edited September 2014
    pogo marine is not really equivalent. i think a bunny hop marine is comparable to lerks being able to have unlimited moving potential. This game doesn't allow bunny hopping right?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    DCMAKER wrote: »
    you don't need glider movement....think in the real world can any bird besides a humming bird pull off a 180 or 90 degree turn? i think a 170/75 or something would be blaanced and more realistic. It is near 0 turn but not quite. It would stop the 180 up and turn it to a slight and very slight curve. It wouldn't hamper attacking much...just this lerk in up down crap that is unrealistic and OP. It is equivalent of giving jet packs ESF style controls -_-

Your saying that a genetically enhanced (by bacteria) giant flying bat that can shoot an unlimited number of spikes out of its wings is unrealistic in how it flies? As a moderately good lerk I will say these maneuvers you are speaking of are good, but only because lerks die so easily. Sit out in the open too long and an lMG takes half your health. Get near a good shotgun shot, you're dead.
    james888 wrote: »
    DCMAKER wrote: »

Your saying that a genetically enhanced (by bacteria) giant flying bat that can shoot an unlimited number of spikes out of its wings is unrealistic in how it flies? As a moderately good lerk I will say these maneuvers you are speaking of are good, but only because lerks die so easily. Sit out in the open too long and an lMG takes half your health. Get near a good shotgun shot, you're dead.

at that rate we can say the entire game is unrealistic but why stop there -_-
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    The current lerk is not OP. It just has a high skill ceiling. You can quickly tell the difference between good lerks and meh lerks as a marine.

Just because something is hard to track doesnt mean we need to play the "realism" card. I heard the same story back when people didn't know how to deal with pogo-marines.
    Let me clarify real quick, idk if your post was addressed to me or not, but either way.
    I don't think the lerk is op either by any means. I'd just prefere it had a slightly different role. I'd prefere it had to rely a little bit more on its team mates to bait bullets, while maintaining its unparallelled killing power.

I think it's funny, if you look at comp ns2 right now, you rarely see anyone go below 2 lerks, there's simply no reason to have any less. Very often you even see 3 or a full lerk team. If you go back 6 months or something, if you saw a prem team have 2 lerks, it was because they were pressured hard to do it. Because 2 lerks, meant 2 less fades.
    And I think most of us can agree that this is the better game. More variety and less punishing and snowbally for losing higher lifeforms.

Now imagine in that light, that the gorge relieved some of the current lerk role. I think it'd be a much better game overall.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    No Santa, my post was directed at DC.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    hush now joshhhy, what do you know about this game? pppf! I think this 11-post DC has a lot more informative accurate insightful entertaining things to add.

@DCMAKER please believe me when I say this: the lerk is not op.
    Comp lerk players in rookie servers are op. That is not the fault of the lerk. Without the breadth of movement, the lerk will be totally useless (except probably for comp lerks in pubs). There is a reason that you don't balance a game around low level play, which is what you're suggesting. I'll let you work out why that might be.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    hush now joshhhy, what do you know about this game? pppf! I think this 11-post DC has a lot more informative accurate insightful entertaining things to add.

Comp lerk players in rookie servers are op. That is not the fault of the lerk. Without the breadth of movement, the lerk will be totally useless (except probably for comp lerks in pubs). There is a reason that you don't balance a game around low level play, which is what you're suggesting. I'll let you work out why that might be.
    edited September 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »

no shit

The lerk you can not beat when you have the ability to go up, down, back, and forward instantly. As a marine you can't counter a lerk in any way that can instantly bite you from the front go in then down bit again, then fly behind you do a 180 instantly and bite you again. Doesn't matter if you are a pro shot when a lerk can literally be infront of you above you and behind you in less then a second. That is not balanced on any level. Have you not seen the pro players that can fly in bit fly up go down bit fly behind turn around and bit again? There is nothing you can do again players like that and that isn't balanced. That is like giving jet packs ESF sytle control and saying you can't hate on a good jet packer rofl

Hey everyone listen to this awesome intelligent clever cool epic player guy who has no life because he has 3000 posts and thinks he is cool. don't be a childish tool. Please be better than that.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Yeah lerks aren't OP. I'm not a competitive player but I can still shit on most lerks especially with medpacks. However, when I play lerk vs really good players then you always feel like the vulnerable one because a good player will land his shots really quickly and kill you in 1-2 seconds and that's with a 0 rifle, +3 shotguns are terrifying to play against. Lerks are hard to hit but so are fades yet at the highest levels of play, you need to be unbelievably careful. If you want to deal with lerks and fades better, git gud.

I would like to put it this way. Why should a rookie/average player that maybe plays a few hours a week have even the most remote chance of killing you when you spend many hours a day playing a game?

Roo is right but its not the lifeform/weapon that is OP, it's the skill difference between the players.