Bite bite bite, not dead :(

13»

Comments

• SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm curious if specs matter. Do the playtesters have beefier computers than the rest of us?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    We intentionally have a large variety of hardware in our PT base to assist in preventing issues (like how some users load slower w/ 268... we only had 1 PT out of ~60 report this)
    And no, your specs should not influence actual poor hitreg, as that's essentially decided by the server and the information sent from you, which depends on your networking. (which you would *generally* know if it wasn't working correctly, like latency or red plugs or choking etc)
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    *edit*

nvm, found the thread in tech support
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd like to add my voice to the one or two I've seen saying this so far: I had major issues with non-registered hits (especially bites but not only those) in 267. Since 268, I haven't noticed anywhere near as many issues, though there were still a few instances.

When I'm away from home, I have to VPN to my home address to bypass a firewall that blocks steam. This means I have several more hops for each packet and my download bandwidth is also limited to my home internet's upload, which is poor. Most of the issues I've had historically have been due to my net conditions, I'm fairly sure, but the 267 issues were particularly bad and also happened when I was physically at home as well. I don't know what, if anything, changed in 268, but it's very noticeable to me at least.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yeah I wouldn't recommend playing with a VPN...
    Why not just fix your firewall? If you're not authorized to do that (campus) there are some other options
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't recommend playing with a VPN...
    Why not just fix your firewall? If you're not authorized to do that (campus) there are some other options

Other options?! As in...
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I played most of season 4 on the vpn connection, at least I'm on cable at home even if my upload bandwidth is only 3Mbit. Pings to euro servers are in the 60-100 range on the whole. it's compounded by having to use a wifi connection within the office.

Trust me though there are no other options. There is only 1 port I can use!
    I pay for a decent VPN.. But even connecting to a server within my own state produces intermittent hiccups and drops that I consider to be deal breaking. I wonder how many people have actual (not perceived) smooth network experiences with ns2 and a VPN..

@PoNeH‌
    Large list of options, but they may not be better per se. GRE or SSH tunnels, or tcpcrypt are just a couple of examples of software solutions on the table..
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I pay for a decent VPN.. But even connecting to a server within my own state produces intermittent hiccups and drops that I consider to be deal breaking. I wonder how many people have actual (not perceived) smooth network experiences with ns2 and a VPN..

@PoNeH‌
    Large list of options, but they may not be better per se. GRE or SSH tunnels, or tcpcrypt are just a couple of examples of software solutions on the table..

Well I run the VPN myself on dedicated hardware (and yes it's tunnelled), and I have complete control over the network conditions at my home end. The network in my office is on one of the fastest backbones in the UK serving most universities here. It isn't completely smooth and perfect, but it's actually not that bad, and I've not had a single issue in a comp match yet (which is where it would be most deal breaking).
    I trash lerks in pubs all the time, but mostly that's not due to the network conditions, that's me not caring, and/or practising being super aggressive because I can and it doesn't matter.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I second the original complaint. Since the 267 patch, I am having problems landing bites and bullets correctly both, the animations and actual hits seem slightly out of sync, not sure exactly where the problem is. Will try disable the multithreaded physics.