Bite bite bite, not dead :(

Comments

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    shonan wrote: »
    nachos wrote: »

PSA might help reduce the number of complaints about this issue then.

PSA: All videogames have hitreg issues, thats inevitable, no code or network/ client/ server/ connection conditions are perfect.

I don't know why you're trying to be a smart ass when I've clearly stated that hit reg has decreased in the last two patches. Hit reg should never decrease for the expense of something else.

The servers I am playing on are using experimental rates I have recently been notified so this could be the reason in which case I should get on the back of server administrators instead.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Every server with NSL mod is running on higher rates cause the NSL mod force them
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    @shonan‌
    There is video evidence on twitch, you'd just have to sort it out cuz nobody highlighted it. But I've seen it on wobs and sykniks channel before. Strangely enough, on wobs channel it was mostly on marine side, while on sykniks it was mostly on alien side and a lot more rare compared to wobs.

In CQC you'll also have to take into account the collision issues in the game.

When I've had "issues with hitreg", its always been explainable by network conditions, server performance etc, they havent been real hitreg issues.

PSA: All videogames have hitreg issues, thats inevitable, no code or network/ client/ server/ connection conditions are perfect.

I don't know why you're trying to be a smart ass when I've clearly stated that hit reg has decreased in the last two patches. Hit reg should never decrease for the expense of something else.

The servers I am playing on are using experimental rates I have recently been notified so this could be the reason in which case I should get on the back of server administrators instead.
    See, custom network settings on server. Not a "real" hitreg issue per se.

P.S. I havent seen a single server that can actually keep up with higher rates than default, all I've played on have had fluctuating client update rates, incl. HBZ.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Do you have multithreaded physics on? There is one known (fixed for 268) bug with that experimental option that can get the hitbox slightly out of sync with the real one.

i suppose that explains why I used to run into friendlys hitboxes while we were running in the same direction. (as if it was lagging a full playermodel [not so "slightly"] behind them)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer

I think you should try playing without streaming, since you were the only one in the server warping when I saw you play and stream at the same time.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Draptor wrote: »
    Recordings and such aren't just about proving whether or not a bug exists, but WHERE it exists.

If you're talking about FRAPS; i'd say... what about a in-game recoding system that works for debugging ? Instead of recording, taking care of the good parts and uploading tons of MegaBytes if not Giga of video, this type of file would take less space and also could store many more datas. Datas are good for debugging right ?

One menu entry to upload the file (not like the game crash interface) and "voila!".

You could have a server data recorder and a client data recorder. I'm sure the devs would spot many things to address by comparing the 2 points of view.

At least it's a good thing to have a hit reg problem from time to time. We can spot cheaters faster. There's always someone who never feel a thing about these issues.

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @UncleCrunch‌
    There are no cheaters in ns2 - period.

But yea, that has been suggested reasontly before, cdt basicly says they have more pressing priorities and that it's a huge job.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    So... NS2 bans was there for nothing.
    Sad... They got nice videos.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    I had the bite thing happen to me yesterday, was incredibly weird. Bites that should have landed didn't land. It was on a network modified server, along with multithread enabled. Glad I wasn't just imagining missing 4 bites in a row.

I also had a really bad shotgun experience too. Was not on a network modified server but still had multithread enabled. Was standing in the veil vent with 100hp and I knew a Skulk was coming in. Comes in the vent, shoot him right in the kisser, see blood everywhere, no hitsound/drawdamage, and then 2bit before I could shoot again.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Do you have multithreaded physics on? There is one known (fixed for 268) bug with that experimental option that can get the hitbox slightly out of sync with the real one.

i suppose that explains why I used to run into friendlys hitboxes while we were running in the same direction. (as if it was lagging a full playermodel [not so "slightly"] behind them)

Holy hell! I'm not the only one! I'm SOOOO tired of not being able to walljump properly because there's a skulk who is right beside me, going just as fast as me. Why do we lose all momentum when that happens????

Back on-topic, I'm also having these same issues. It's just painful to play as a skulk now. I used to be GOOD at this game, now I can barely get any bites to register if the target is moving at all.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    @UncleCrunch‌
    There are no cheaters in ns2 - period.
    I have been agreeing with most of what you are saying, but this requires comment. I have seen one cheater in my 1300+ hours. I recorded the video and reported him to ns2bans because I didn't know what else to do. On ns2bans I saw he had already been reported more than 5 times. There are cheaters in ns2, just an minuscule amount.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For the record: I had frequent melee hitreg issues in 267, but none in 268 so far. So I'm surprised that some many people still get them in 268.

Of course, it may be some other factors at play, like server admins tweaking their rate settings etc.

I have noticed the "walk 2m behind a Marine and bump into something" effect sometimes, although I assumed it was a server hitch causing me to rubberband at that time.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Making a great game is the number one priority. I know that. My point is this is a game. One patch will fix an issue only to have another appear. It happens. Some people just don't understand that. I used other more popular games as an example because those companies have many paid professionals with many paid testers yet bugs and glitches still arise after a patch. It's part of gaming.

It's been quickly noted in the live build how hit reg is poor for multiple players at multiple levels. How this can get through playtesters is mind boggling because shooting/biting is the staple of the game.

No, it's simply a matter of numbers. Take (assumed) <50 playtesters testing a release for (again, assumed) 10-20 hours or so. And then compare it with >1.000 players (as seen from Hive stats) playing the new release for weeks. It's just more likely for edge cases to pop up, especially if exotic hardware/software/configs trigger the issue.

And even the first reports weren't clear cut cases. It was mostly "hmm that seemed a bit odd", and not "this is clearly, obviously broken".
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    can confirm there is some type of reg problem, played today with stable fps/decent ping and the server at a tic of 30 -- when aliens got really close to me and I'd flick to their model it was missing completely - as if the hitbox was not with the model that I was seeing

I have that multithread thing on as well
    So the easy way to really reproduce this is to try and lerk spike moving targets, you can see that the hitbox is somehow not aligned with the model - it only seems to happen when things are moving around quickly, targets going slow/not moving hit like they should
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    ezekel wrote: »
    So the easy way to really reproduce this is to try and lerk spike moving targets, you can see that the hitbox is somehow not aligned with the model - it only seems to happen when things are moving around quickly, targets going slow/not moving hit like they should
    Welcome to... 2002? :D
    edited August 2014
    Ots wrote: »
    Welcome to... 2002? :D

3v3 quake ctf? Serious sam? haha don't remind me of how good fps gaming was :(
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I don't even remember the years tbh, it's all a big fuzz, just the thought of hitreg going out the window due to things moving is such an arbituary thing to say that sounds like it's from back then. ;)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Make a recording
  • ekrizonekrizon Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170924Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is a confirmed issue for myself and a few friends I play with on multiple servers, have tried with the new physics option on and off. This was not a problem for us in 266 but 267 AND 268 it is quite noticeable. Mostly for aliens, skulk bites and fade swipes make sounds but no damage.

Will try to do a video to help soon just wanted to add that there is more people with this issue.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ekrizon wrote: »
    This is a confirmed issue for myself and a few friends I play with on multiple servers, have tried with the new physics option on and off. This was not a problem for us in 266 but 267 AND 268 it is quite noticeable. Mostly for aliens, skulk bites and fade swipes make sounds but no damage.

Will try to do a video to help soon just wanted to add that there is more people with this issue.

Please clarify what you mean by 'sound'. Do you mean 'beep sounds (aka hitsounds)' or just the sound your hear from the animations when you hit a target.
  • ekrizonekrizon Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170924Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Apologies, animation sounds. Not using hitsounds.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Animation sounds, like the animations themselves, are client side. Hit sounds and draw damage are server side. If You see blood and hear a squelch, but see no damage numbers and don't get a hitsound beep (if using these), then the server has not recognised your hit, whether or not it was on target on your screen.

This may be due to network issues (including dying before doing damage), or it may have been a genuine miss. OR it may have been 'bad reg' - in which case IronHorse will love you long time if you send him a video recording. Of the incident in question, not anything else... now wash your mind out.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Are videos the only way to help?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Videos are the only way to help unless you can tell them 100% reproduction steps so they can cause the issue themselves. Otherwise it's video only...
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm still not having any big time issues...
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Is this an issue that pre rendered frames setting could fix/lessen? Perhaps your computer/video card/monitor aren't syncing up well.