268 - jetpack

2»

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I love the new jetpacks, they feel responsive and agile and fit for purpose.
    What do I mean by that?
    I mean that jetpacks dont let marines fly anymore. They're now best used in short hops when facing aliens, to relocate to a better position in the room or whatever. If you try and float around like a nancy just because you can, you will run out of fuel and die fast.
    Comp marines have been using them like this since forever, gladly now they are a little more obviously intended to be used like that.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    If 1 hive aliens are having issues with w0/a0 marines who can afford only 1 round of jetpacks, dare I suggest that they deserve the impending loss? Get on their res, group up and take down the jets, mass expand your own res and get the higher lifeforms up.
    If we're talking about a JT Marine ball going for the hive, yes that'd could be dealt with. However theoretically if Marine split up and say one went for Platform rt, other to Mezzanin / Observation / Repair. While the rest is building up the remaining RT's it would pose a problem right? Combined with Marines that can keep Skulks from keeping their res down.
    Though I wasn't able to play 268 much due to issues. I was merely playing with that thought. Because undoubtibly single skulk vs single JP Marine, even if he has w0a0 is difficult to deal with.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    How many lerks can you have at 5min mark?

Just because marines can do a specific strat, and are doing so, doesn't mean you're supposed to give up. Less complaing, more improvising.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe I have to get used to the JP.
    I do like the management of fuel is more important now.
    Not sure about the 15 res price.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    clankill3r wrote: »
    Maybe I have to get used to the JP.
    I do like the management of fuel is more important now.
    Not sure about the 15 res price.

Agreed, would like to see JPs down to back down to 10 pres
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    How does the new jetpack do when assaulting Cargo hive?
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    When jetpacks were 10 PRes, the game was under the old PRes system before the 20% deflation, so they actually cost more like 8.3 in today's money. The problem with that was that they were an obvious purchase and you didn't have to worry about playing safe with them because you could so easily replace them. With the comments in here about jetpacks being too plentiful and coming out too early, I'm not sure how lowering their cost would improve matters. It would make rushing jetpacks even more viable because clearing the marines wouldn't be as detrimental to their PRes.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Haven't seen enough games to be sure, but as a first impression, JP+SG seems to be ok, while JP+GL is still ridiculously OP (in Cargo, that is). That's more a problem of the GL than the JP, though.

But speaking of balance... Why does the Jetpack completely eliminate weapon weight differences, anyway? I think it should have slightly less acceleration when equipping a JP+GL or JP+FT compared to JP+Rifle, for example. (This should actually scale with the total weight of all carried weapons, instead of just the currently selected one - flying is different from running.)

This could even create new tactical choices, like dropping the primary weapon for speed/acceleration, and then finishing with the pistol from above.

_INTER_ wrote: »
    Because undoubtibly single skulk vs single JP Marine, even if he has w0a0 is difficult to deal with.

True, but at 0 pres vs. 15 pres, it should be.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MrFangs wrote: »
    Haven't seen enough games to be sure, but as a first impression, JP+SG seems to be ok, while JP+GL is still ridiculously OP (in Cargo, that is). That's more a problem of the GL than the JP, though.

But speaking of balance... Why does the Jetpack completely eliminate weapon weight differences, anyway? I think it should have slightly less acceleration when equipping a JP+GL or JP+FT compared to JP+Rifle, for example. (This should actually scale with the total weight of all carried weapons, instead of just the currently selected one - flying is different from running.)

This could even create new tactical choices, like dropping the primary weapon for speed/acceleration, and then finishing with the pistol from above.

_INTER_ wrote: »
    Because undoubtibly single skulk vs single JP Marine, even if he has w0a0 is difficult to deal with.

I thought they removed weapon weight differences awhile back, for all things.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    edited August 2014
    My issue with the new jetpack is that you can't bhop with it to conserve a ludicrous amount of fuel while still maintaining 6-8 speed on the jump. Other than that... it's better in every way.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It still works - just the new fuel limitations mean it's harder for a marine to just float around willy-nilly while GLing the hive, only killable by flying life forms and highly coordinated skulks.
    So what used to be "there's been a JPFLer in cargo for 5 minutes, why has nobody killed him!?"
    will hopefully now be
    "lol theres a single marine in cargo who wants to waste his Pres"
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    yea right aliens have endless possibilities with 15 pres.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ball2hi wrote: »
    My issue with the new jetpack is that you can't bhop with it

"bhop" in ns2

lol
    Locklear wrote: »

"bhop" in ns2

lol
    @Locklear but you could. Not sure what you were laughing about.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    No bunny hopping in ns2...
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

"bhop" in ns2

lol
    @Locklear but you could. Not sure what you were laughing about.

@Locklear and? Seen the video, it's sad. That doesn't mean I wasn't bunnyhopping though, just involved a jetpack in between.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    @Locklear and? Seen the video, it's sad. That doesn't mean I wasn't bunnyhopping though, just involved a jetpack in between.

Did you play ns1? You aren't bunny hopping.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    It's a buff to marines, and it makes the game more fun.

I'm all for fun in competition
    edited August 2014
    @Locklear and? Seen the video, it's sad. That doesn't mean I wasn't bunnyhopping though, just
    involved a jetpack in between.

call it whatever you want, it's not real bhop in the sense that it was on gldsrc/other mods

ns2 is like "ez mode bhop" at best

call it whatever you want, it's not real bhop in the sense that it was on gldsrc/other mods

ns2 is like "ez mode bhop" at best
    I... but...

Okay.