Random Questions for UWE!

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
1) How do you like the unity engine compared to the engine you created?

2) Is the unity engine easier to work with, or have you just become much better at programming etc as time has gone on - I'd assume creating your own engine had to of taken a long time but given you endless amounts of knowledge

3) How often do you guys (or know of) releasing patches with intentionally left out changes/notes to see if anyone notices a difference or just because you don't want people to know of the change?

4) Do you feel more stress/pressure creating a multi-player game compared to a single-player game?

5) Do you all eat lunch together in the office, or all go out and eat. Or does everyone do their own thing for lunch

6) Do you guys ever have internal disagreements about something you want to add, remove, or change from a game you're making/made? Or do you all obey one overseer?

Comments

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer

personally i dont like it so much, i cant speak for others, at least i know from @flayra that he seems to like unity a lot. working in spark, while sometimes things take longer, gave me more freedom
    2) Is the unity engine easier to work with

i would say its very easy to work with as a beginner when you are new to the engine, but at a certain size of a unity project the editor struggles with performance problems and crashes alot. there are workarounds for this problem, so it isnt as bad
    with intentionally left out changes/notes to see if anyone notices a difference

never intentionally, unless the change was so minor that its just not worth mentioning
    Do you feel more stress/pressure creating a multi-player game compared to a single-player game?

yeah, i guess thats in the nature of it. PvP games require much more attention and finetuning of balance.
    have internal disagreements

sure, quite often, thats what gets good discussions started
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited August 2014
    Oh, I got some too:

Do you guys have an Oculus Rift Dev Kit? Are you planning on adding it/optimizing your game to have the right scale etc? That really is going to make the game future proof, since cockpit-experiences work best in it.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer

It's not perfect but I like it. One huge advantage of using a commodity engine is that there are many commodity plugins for it. To get image based lighting, we just bought Marmoset Skyshop. Whereas with Spark, we would have had to implement it ourselves. There are shitty things about it, sure, but nothing's perfect.

2) Is the unity engine easier to work with, or have you just become much better at programming etc as time has gone on - I'd assume creating your own engine had to of taken a long time but given you endless amounts of knowledge

Not sure what you're asking here...but...yeah? :P

3) How often do you guys (or know of) releasing patches with intentionally left out changes/notes to see if anyone notices a difference or just because you don't want people to know of the change?

If we left something out it's cuz we forgot to add it, cuz we're busy fixing bugs.

4) Do you feel more stress/pressure creating a multi-player game compared to a single-player game?

I guess, but there are other pressures.

5) Do you all eat lunch together in the office, or all go out and eat. Or does everyone do their own thing for lunch

For us in the office, we generally eat together.

6) Do you guys ever have internal disagreements about something you want to add, remove, or change from a game you're making/made? Or do you all obey one overseer?

All the time. We are fairly democratic in here. Sometimes I feel like we should actually lean towards a dictatorship just a bit more.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    countbasie wrote: »
    Oh, I got some too:

Do you guys have an Oculus Rift Dev Kit? Are you planning on adding it/optimizing your game to have the right scale etc? That really is going to make the game future proof, since cockpit-experiences work best in it.

Yes, but I'm considering it pretty low priority right now.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Q: What role does Subnautica play in the UWE's strategy, it is somekind of "bridge" to another opportunities or it is a real "milestone" or goal for you? Thx!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    countbasie wrote: »
    Oh, I got some too:

SteveRock wrote: »

Yes, but I'm considering it pretty low priority right now.

Just as a quick note, good Oculus integration (as Palmer Lucky has said) has to be planned early. Which is why when we've been animating the main character in the game we've taken possible future Oculus integration into account, as doing it after the fact would create a huge amount of work.

For instance, in a regular first person game, you dont see anything but your hands. No body or legs usually (but sometimes). In SN we've animated the entire body for all movements so if/when we put in the Rift programming time, we wont need to do much with the animations (which take a long time). While this does take longer than animating for a traditional first person use, the added benefit is the animations can be re-used for possible co-op or multiplayer in the future. This is a long-term play, but even playing in the regular game like it is right now, being able to see your body and legs swim is really cool! :)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    1) Each has strengths and weaknesses
    2) Different, definitely easier to work in for those on the team whose primary skillset is not engineering
    3) Never
    4) No
    5) No, the majority of the SN team is not in an office. As a type this, there are only three people in the San Francisco office. UWE is a globally distributed team now
    6) All the time. There is very little central direction of the SN project

@Metroid Answer will differ depending on who on the team you ask, and when you ask them. I'm not sure what you mean by 'real.'
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    This is actually a good example of being mindful of VR - notice the missing head:

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    AND TWO THUMBS.
    ON ONE HAND
    OMG.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Obraxis wrote: »
    This is actually a good example of being mindful of VR - notice the missing head:

Yea I thought it was a bit odd I had a stump instead of a head when I looked down.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hi,

How many guys in the team are totally in a love / hate relation razor blades, or are you all looking like lumberjack commandos ?

What's the event schedule about SubNautica ?

Burgers / pizzas ?

Any complete Gameplay demo/video on SN soon ?

Chinese Noddles / Indian with spices / Mexican ?

(about internal disagreement) Who's throwing his French fries first ?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Hugh wrote: »

The investation!

Also burgers/pizza hell yes!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Looks like UWE is celebrating NovemBeard a little early