Did collision change?

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited August 2014 in Competitive Play
I haven't played in a few months, just played a few games this week

I want to ask did collision change? Instead of getting 'feedback/stoppage' when you bump into someone, you just kind of slide past them, while a marine it looks like the alien literally goes inside of your pov - and while an alien it just feels like you're never colliding with the marine

dunno if i just haven't played in a long time or if something changed regarding that since like 7 months or less.. just feels wrong to me personally

Comments

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    something I have had happening since 267 is when I am sprinting behind another marine I start to collide with him despite being nearly a full player model behind (lagging collision boxes). i haven't heard anybody else mention it so i haven't really put much thought into it. chalked it up to poor server performance or misconfigured rates.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The collision was changed a while ago, to enable skulks to keep their momentum when attacking marines, rather than coming to a complete stop when hitting them.

Lagging collision boxes is something I came across while working on my mods, but assumed it was something I had done, never noticed them in NS2..
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The collision was changed a while ago, to enable skulks to keep their momentum when attacking marines, rather than coming to a complete stop when hitting them.

This might be it, personally I think it feels awful because I'm expecting to feel like I've 'collided' with a marine when I go to attack, if I just 'slip' past it feels wrong

Thanks

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »

This might be it, personally I think it feels awful because I'm expecting to feel like I've 'collided' with a marine when I go to attack, if I just 'slip' past it feels wrong

Thanks

I definetely see what you mean. It's intuitive to assume that you'd collide with the objects - however, we have pretty good air control in ns2, meaning you can pretty easily stop abrubtly in the air manually if you wanted to. So I think it's a better solution to let you slip through, it adds more versatility imo.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    aliens still have shit acceleration. nerf marine accel or return alien accel k thanks
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    SantaClaws wrote: »

Thanks

I definetely see what you mean. It's intuitive to assume that you'd collide with the objects - however, we have pretty good air control in ns2, meaning you can pretty easily stop abrubtly in the air manually if you wanted to. So I think it's a better solution to let you slip through, it adds more versatility imo.

Collision hitboxes were changed from rectangles to pill-shapes to reduce random clipping on other players a while ago...
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    aliens still have shit acceleration. nerf marine accel or return alien accel k thanks

lolwat
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

Is this how you play aliens?

swat_guy_battering_ram_door_hg_wht.gif

If so, that is why you think this.

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    joshhh wrote: »
    SantaClaws wrote: »

Thanks

Collision hitboxes were changed from rectangles to pill-shapes to reduce random clipping on other players a while ago...

lolwat

Ah that explains it, they were rectangles which probably made the collision feel like i was hitting a person(wall) for whatever reason I prefer that, maybe cause I'm so use to it in other titles I play when you 'bump' each other, it's a forced stop. Haven't played in so long that I probably would take a long time for me to get use to this 'slip' effect i feel
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014

Funny if that was the reason since the changes have done exactly the opposite, at least for me.

Now if im not the first skulk leaving base in startup i will most likely collide with another skulk(beign faster) and lose all the momentum. Also at the startup as marine lagging behind another marine is something that happens every game now. These things never happened a year ago.

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What? I thought getting goomba-stomped by a teammate while leaving the hiveroom was a game feature. O_O
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    zenef wrote: »

Funny if that was the reason since the changes have done exactly the opposite, at least for me.

Now if im not the first skulk leaving base in startup i will most likely collide with another skulk(beign faster) and lose all the momentum. Also at the startup as marine lagging behind another marine is something that happens every game now. These things never happened a year ago.

The quote from me specifically says 'to enable skulks to keep their momentum when attacking marines.'

If you played NS2 before the change, you would know as a skulk, you would come to a dead stop when colliding with a marine. This was changed so collision is based on a pill-shaped model and you now slide past the marine.

Why bring up examples of Skulk-Skulk collision, and Marine-Marine collision? That is nothing to do with what I mentioned at all. For the record, I have always bumped into team mates at round start, and it has always annoyed the hell out of me.. It never bothered me as much as the skulk dead-stop when attacking marines though, which they fixed.
    edited August 2014
    zenef wrote: »

These things never happened a year ago.
    If you played NS2 before the change, you would know as a skulk, you would come to a dead stop when colliding with a marine. This was changed so collision is based on a pill-shaped model and you now slide past the marine.

I have played since beta and as i said "these things never happened a year ago". At least for me, i almost never collided with anything, friendly skulks, marines when biting them etc, now youre stuck with everything. After the collision changes exactly opposite of this happened

Maybe the problem is that collision box(also the hitbox) does not always stay on the right spot with the model, at least that is definitely the case when "lagging" behind another marine.

The hitbox and collision model are two entirely separate things. The collision for players vs players is a pill shape, the collision for players and world is different. The hitbox is based off the actual player model and animation state.

Despite you never noticing it before, the problem with coming to a dead stop when attacking a marine as a skulk etc was one of the biggest problems with NS2 collision, and the change was massive, really made the game easier to play. As for teammate collision, it is an annoying thing that has been around forever, and just so you know I have been playing and modding NS2 since alpha, so if you played in beta, the issue was there, whether you noticed it or not.

Is it possible that previously you never noticed the issues due to low performance, and now you are noticing it because you have better hardware, and the massive performance improvements NS2 has had are now revealing it to you?
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    It seems to be quite the opposite in fact.
    NS2 always had a problem with collisions between players being very slippery. You never stopped when you met an enemy and it has always been a problem.

Since 261 though, this has changed.
    The collision with the environment is not the player model but a pill shaped model (like before).
    The collision between players are more rough and "grip "more when you come in contact with them.

Unless it changed again after 261, it's what I always felt and it was a major change in the game feel.
    edited September 2014
    Regnareb wrote: »
    NS2 always had a problem with collisions between players being very slippery. You never stopped when you met an enemy and it has always been a problem.

I guess im in the minority then. I personally liked not colliding with marine more, and also performed better because of that. It was easier to circle marine in high speed and you could always stop your movement if you wanted by just pressing backwards. Now you dont have that luxury anymore, you stop if you get too close. In other words, you have less options in combat.

As for teammate collision, it is an annoying thing that has been around forever, and just so you know I have been playing and modding NS2 since alpha, so if you played in beta, the issue was there, whether you noticed it or not.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135648/weird-collision-issue#latest

These kind of collision problems were never around pre 261*, at least for me. It became really bad somewhere in between 265-267, but it felt like something was not right at 261* onwards. Makes playing aliens really annoying.

(*i dont remember the build number for biggest collision changes, used 261 from the last post. Didnt the collision change at the same time when sewleks balance mod was put into live build? b250?)