A proper F2P Weekend is needed

2»

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    would be nice to come up with a list of stuff that is needed for a free weekend. Not that the CDT could decide that, but if there is stuff that can be done to make that experience better, perhaps uwe can be talked into making a free weekend (or week, whatever works best)
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also, perhaps make a sort of in-game type of goal where the reward is getting the game for free forever. To really make the players invested.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any participation from experienced players who can take those few days in a free weekend to lend a hand teaching, guiding, or at least not abusing rookies would help greatly improve the player base. Or at the least restrict themselves to servers of their own skill level.

I think this is really important.. and greens have pretty much appreciated the help across the board when I've given it in the past.

You don't have to give them a tutorial, just answer questions or give explanations. If you hear a complaint that is really a l2p issue, give a small cue as to how they can correct the issue. You aren't gonna turn them into pros or anything but little things like "skulks are really good at ambushing, try hiding on the ceiling or above a door" can make a big difference.

Another thing I've found to help is just telling greens to follow you and try and copy your positioning

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    would be nice to come up with a list of stuff that is needed for a free weekend. Not that the CDT could decide that, but if there is stuff that can be done to make that experience better, perhaps uwe can be talked into making a free weekend (or week, whatever works best)

twitch stream on the main ns2 channel with someone like Wasabi or Reddog streaming casual gameplay and answering questions/giving advice in chat. Nxzl used to have some really good tutorial stuff on twitch way back in the day... think it might have been run by locklear? some stuff like that would probably be good too.

but some kind of streaming event could offer quick access to information from the casters, and the more channels streaming it the better.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Hobocop wrote: »
    Depends on the Hyperion. The older one has issues lategame, but the *NEW* Hyperion is usually pretty solid.
    You sure about that? I swear I joined both back in the past and they always had terrible tickrate... unless something was fixed?
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just want to chime in and say that I am one of the players who fell in love with this game during a free weekend. If NS2 hooked me that way then I am certain it can hook others as well.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Game still lacks key things that would allow it to grow.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2014
    I'd make it free on wednesdays and on every day divisible by thirteen (counted from the start of the year). Plus on Celtic holidays.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    ezekel wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »

Oh god, keys and crates!! Where's my HATS!!
    On your head.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I'd wait for a smaller, safer patch to be released before a free anything. Otherwise, it'll be the same old deal. I mean maybe have a patch to solely deal with the bugs we have from this build, then a free (insert time length).
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    I think everyone on this forum knows that stuff, the problem is reaching the ones that aren't on the forum or those don't care. Those people outnumber the ones that want to help, sadly. Asraniel idea is best, and I actually suggested it a very long time ago.

There were some servers a while ago that restricted player skill and experienced players were always joining to stomp them. I witnessed it so much, as I use to sit spec and assist commanders and answer random questions. I think a few were even from the forums and comp players if I recall correctly. They would always get banned eventually though by the great admin.

reaching out to those people who go around pub stomping really wouldn't be that hard. i don't think honest efforts have been made to do so. i agree with the various sentiments in this thread, but allow me to posit the following:

more and more competitive players, and people who are just good and may be considered "pub stompers" are either quitting ns2 or not playing very much during the break between seasons and everything. the point is the community of ns2 is becoming smaller and smaller. just about everybody who's good knows everybody else who's good. most of these people are not anti-social low-lifes as they're so often cast here, but they just happen to be really good at ns2 and just want to kill shit. they're not thinking about the community or what it means for the longevity of the game. there's no server they could join where they would not be pubstomping, and pugs/gathers happen less and less often.

so anyway, if we actually make a public appeal to the group of people who are good at ns2 and put together sort of an ambassadorship, then i think it could have a real effect. i've been sort of on a break after the last competitive season, but if there were a free weekend then i would gladly hang around on public servers shepherding noobs and trying to talk down any stompers who come along. there's sort of a mutual respect which can be drawn upon in situations like this. engaging these people like real people is the first step. and if all you have to do is convince some people to take a weekend off, that's not really a huge stretch since again, most of these people barely play the game anyway. they'd probably just as soon go play csgo instead or whatever.

additionally, i think it would be critically important to reach out to server admins. just having them around and active during the weekend would help out a ton. imagine if most servers had admins online during this weekend just to threaten pub stompers and make sure good times are had.

the point i'm trying to make here is community outreach. there are several aspects which would go into making a f2p weekend successful:

1. promotion
    2. efficacy
    3. probably others, why the fuck are you asking me

in this thread we're talking about efficacy, and the best thing you can do to ensure an effective experience is to get as many important people concerted on this issue as possible. that means server admins, that means community ambassadors, that means making fun games. actively try to reach out to those people and i guarantee a better time for all.
    and yeah, can we get a fixes only patch soon?
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Locklear wrote: »

Oh god, keys and crates!! Where's my HATS!!

Here you go @ezekel‌
    ZQiBXjW.jpg
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    kmg wrote: »
    i came

Did you conquer?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    kmg wrote: »
    i came

Did you conquer?

As long as I don't see it, it's all fine.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Stronger communities. If we can still do this, it will help the game immensely. Usually friendlier because people of all skill ranges know the community. People don't have to be so hardcore. Ns1 had a few really relaxed servers, where people could goof off but still have good games. Newer people got to know members. Then it made it easier to be coached, because the coach is a person in the community that the new guy likes and trusts.

Ahh ns1 nastalgia... #g4b2s #hashtagsarelame