Why is NS2 requiring 11GB of hard drive space? (Used to 2GB at launch)

2»

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    *Old man voice* back in my day, whole games fit on a single 700MB CD. You kids these days with your gigawhatsuts and terasumthings. *Shakes cane*

Back in my day, games fitted on a cassette tape and took 5 minutes to load. Happy days.

Back when the original GTA came out, it was 2 CDs. None of us could believe a game could be so big. :D
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gta London, to load this your had to put in, Gta London, switch to GTA, then back to London, Ahhhhhh the good old, "please insert disc..........."
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Starcraft 1 took no time to load. You clicked "play", and you "played". :) (well apart from the few times you had to wait while the CD-ROM started to spin up).
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Why when I was a lad a computer took up a room as big as your house and a basic adding program would come on a 2 inch magnetic tape. *puts teeth back in.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My step dad says he learned how to program on punch cards.....it gives me nightmares.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Built my own PC back when doom 95, warcraft 2 tides of darkness, starcraft and c&c original were top dogs. First gaming console I ever owned was a calico vision.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    coolitic wrote: »
    Can anything be done?

Get a new hard drive
    Some of us don't have the luxury to afford high speed internet connections or massive storage hard drives. :[

Not sure how this has to do with high speed internet, except for initial download =P.

As for hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840&cm_re=seagate-_-22-148-840-_-Product

1 TB hdd for $70.

Thats a lot of money to me.
  • Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Wolfenstein and Titanfall both take over 50GB of space, crazy!

Elders scrolls Online is 60GB

X Plane 10 Full complete install goes is at 80GB now.

Alot of these AAA console games have 50GB install now as well
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2014
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Wolfenstein and Titanfall both take over 50GB of space, crazy!

titanfall is a pile of trash.. and you know what's the worst? Titanfalls game size is just because of uncompressed audio and music.. the game itself is honestly probably no more than 5GB-8GB (relative to how little content is actually in-game)