Technical Questions

VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
*Cant figure find where to post about this, please move where post where it belongs*

Sorry for direct questions but seeing that CDT is replying so often lately, I figure its right time to ask...

Going with simple stuff, I have read about HMG and seen ideas about modular exos so I figured that I can try to play around with some models that I have and put them to use.

- How many animation states do weapons need to have from fps perspective?

- What is preferred poly count for weapon viewed from FP?

- Is it possible to get raw files of marine FP view?

- What kind of exporter does NS2 require (I gathered that max is used) and whats the export format geo and anims?

- What format is used in ns2 for normals/dif/spec maps?

- Is there any kind of manual for spark?

Thanks upfront.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Time to pull out my unfinished darft of my modding guide just another time lol: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ewJCs-gPBKeBZOqFujpNa4gApvO5Sz-rabgHvHOoAWU/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to leave comments on stuff i need to explain more which are unclear but have in mind that the doc is just a first draft and originally was not meant to be published.

Sadly i haven't got more time yet to work more on it :(

All answers to your questions can be found in it ( just ignore everything about coding ;) )

Before asking about getting more sources of assets ( or the source code of the .model exporter ) i will tell you that we ask uwe to publish more of them but we can't do that just ourself as we don't own the copyrights for any uwe stuff :)

BTW best place to ask those things is the modding subforum.
  • VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
    Thanks a lot. Ill take my time reading it through. :)

I don't see much about anims in there though... Good enough for starts, ill build some stuff and ask questions later.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Vlaad wrote: »
    Thanks a lot. Ill take my time reading it through. :)

I don't see much about anims in there though... Good enough for starts, ill build some stuff and ask questions later.

Watch the modeling tut vids the guide links: http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/ns2-custom-model-importing-guide-2/ ;)