UWE official servers are not NS2+

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
pls fix! I joined one and to my surprise a lot of settings re-enabled, checked the browser and it didn't support ns2+

Mendasp slaves hard to feed the children of the internet world, repay him the respect he deserves and change the official servers to support his work!

(but really, I like to hop on the official EU servers sometimes and command while the rookies play) :D

Comments

• lotnik190lotnik190 Poland Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187394Members
    That probably won't happen. UWE servers will stay unmodified.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The good news is... most of NS2+ items are being ported over to vanilla NS2 anyhow. ;)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    The good news is... most of NS2+ items are being ported over to vanilla NS2 anyhow. ;)

good to hear, tons of the options in there are beyond useful
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    played in one last night with jonmo and shellmo and lots of their regulars. Had some great games (and the hardware kept up too), but lack of ns2+ made me so very sad! default alien vision instead of Huze's minimal. .. ugh!
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    There is a bigger problem on officials: Texture cheats are allowed.

(and alien vision forbidden)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Regnareb wrote: »
    There is a bigger problem on officials: Texture cheats are allowed.

(and alien vision forbidden)

We addressed that this patch. That shouldn't be the case anymore.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Roobubba wrote: »
    played in one last night with jonmo and shellmo and lots of their regulars. Had some great games (and the hardware kept up too), but lack of ns2+ made me so very sad! default alien vision instead of Huze's minimal. .. ugh!
    You dont have to join a NS2+ server to use Huze's minimal vision mod, btw.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    You dont have to join a NS2+ server to use Huze's minimal vision mod, btw.
    @Ironhorse
    Once you've joined the random server your friends are playing on, it's very difficult to say to everyone: right guys we need to move to another server now, let's go.
    And if you leave the server to go and install the separate mod (seriously, why would I do this when it's in NS2+, which as we know is allowed for comp play too so is the first go-to place for any modification), then you'll lose your slot there and not get back in.

So yes, you could say 'be prepared' - but the vast majority of my time is spent on NS2+ servers, just when I follow someone into a game and it's not NS2+, these ugly problems rear their despicable heads.

And for the last time on this subject: default alien vision is really a horrible, ugly, useless mess. Huze's Minimal AV is so much cleaner looking aesthetically, as well as actually being useful in the dark, unlike the horrendous normal AV.

Enough on that, it's been beaten to well beyond death already. I see on Trello that the default AV is one of CDT's long term goals to address, hopefully you will do so with a good dollop of common sense :)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2014
    In my opinion, seems legit to not have NS2+ on UWE servers, they have to be non modded to have the real vanilla game experience.

I'm also too bad when I attempt to play on a server without NS2+ but yeah, just join another server. :p
    This AV and all NS2+ relative stuff were not here before & people kept playing anyway. It is not a torture to skip a few rounds without this mod even if I admit it's a bit disturbing.

It's totally understandable for me. (but all hail NS2+! :D)
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    You don't have to do anything when joining a server without ns2+ regarding alien vision and other mods. Just activate them once and never think about it anymore.
    edited August 2014
    @Roobubba‌
    I guess I don't understand why you (or anyone) don't already have Huze 's mod installed if it's that important to you /them??
    Activate it once from the workshop - now EVERYWHERE you go from then on you can play with it.. Forever.. Ns2+ or not.

P. S. You can even do this while in game, and I'm pretty sure it would take effect on map change.. needs a restart
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    While someone mentioned it... while texture mods as a baseline is naturally a bad idea I still say _view mods should be excluded.
    But loads of servers have issues with those....

Come to think of it, I think they work on official servers still but been a while since ive seen a official server used.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    NSL lights, minimal particles, and no waypoints are probably the most important features on NS2+ and they will most likely never be added to vanilla. AV is hardly the reason its a great mod...
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    joshhh wrote: »
    NSL lights, minimal particles, and no waypoints are probably the most important features on NS2+ and they will most likely never be added to vanilla. AV is hardly the reason its a great mod...

Don't forget about ambient noise :P
    @Roobubba‌
    I guess I don't understand why you (or anyone) don't already have Huze 's mod installed if it's that important to you /them??
    Activate it once from the workshop - now EVERYWHERE you go from then on you can play with it.. Forever.. Ns2+ or not.

P. S. You can even do this while in game, and I'm pretty sure it would take effect on map change..

In game? There's no menu item for mods in game when I look. Is this some hidden mechanic, @Ironhorse? It's definitely not in the menu!

And yes, if I were prepared, then it wouldn't have been a problem (and now of course I have the AV mod on), but the default one is SOOOO bad frankly I'm ashamed for the newbies who don't know there's far less ugly and far more functional options out there. Oh yeah, and when you blink there's weird screen effects which are truly horrible, and taking damage makes you unable to see anything. Ugh. Mendasp for President!
    @Roobubba‌
    It requires relaunching NS2.. but you can subscribe to any workshop mod in the steam overlay while in game.
    But do that once, and bam...

But yea.. i get it what you mean
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    The default one (in the Workshop) is pretty buggy, I tested it some months ago when it was added on NS2+, so I guess it's still pointless to enable this mod for other servers?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    More important (i think) is the "official map locked servers".
    Promoting a map is somewhat ok when it comes out, but now it's a little irrelevant.
    Map cycle would be better instead of being forced to vote for changing the map.
    My 2 cents.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Pelargir wrote: »
    The default one (in the Workshop) is pretty buggy, I tested it some months ago when it was added on NS2+, so I guess it's still pointless to enable this mod for other servers?

And it doesn't work on all servers. I don't get why they have such a strong stance for not changing the hideous default AV.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ns2isgood wrote: »

And it doesn't work on all servers. I don't get why they have such a strong stance for not changing the hideous default AV.

Probably dont want to hurt someone's feelings
    ns2isgood wrote: »

I noticed that as well. So that's just pointless, just add NS2+ everywhere! :D
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Instead of adding ns2+ everywhere, the features that seem to be a must have should be added to vanilla. As much as i love mods, they should not be required to have a good gaming experience.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Instead of adding ns2+ everywhere, the features that seem to be a must have should be added to vanilla. As much as i love mods, they should not be required to have a good gaming experience.

99% of ns2+ is must have.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    james888 wrote: »

I doubt that, specially ns2 vanilla can't have the millions of options that ns2+ has, that is just too much of a support nightmare. That said, more and more ns2+ features are merged into vanilla
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    As much as i love mods, they should not be required to have a good gaming experience.

Tell that to Bethesda and the Fallout/Elder Scrolls series.
    james888 wrote: »

I doubt that, specially ns2 vanilla can't have the millions of options that ns2+ has, that is just too much of a support nightmare. That said, more and more ns2+ features are merged into vanilla

Don't doubt it. It's absolutely true that the vast majority of NS2+ is basically essential. Once you've got used to it, you return to a vanilla server and it's like 'wtf... vision obfuscation, probably not working alien vision, horrible HUD, worse performance, different hit sounds, no different sens/FOV for aliens/marines' the list goes on and on and on.

I'd like to see all of NS2+ in vanilla :)
    @Roobubba‌
    It requires relaunching NS2.. but you can subscribe to any workshop mod in the steam overlay while in game.
    But do that once, and bam...

But yea.. i get it what you mean

BTW I tried using Huze's minimal alien vision mod on a UWE server after our discussion here, and it's not active at all. It goes back to default AV.

!! Fix plox!!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    joshhh wrote: »

I'm waiting...