Video of fixed and improved in game tutorial

TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
edited August 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I saw this entry in the build 267 patch notes:

- Fixed and improved the tutorial. Fixed spawns, using new alien bots, etc.

It sparked my interest so I decided to test out my video card's shadow play software feature to record it.

I couldn't tell you what is different since I never played through it before.

Yea that's right I died to a Fade Bot what about it?

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    You died during the tutorial? IT LIED TO US!
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Tutorial seemed better put together then the last time I played it, it was fun to play. I was chuckling a bit about instructing how to gorge and put hydras down on aliens :D
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    1:48 - The welder builds faster? Noooo, it doesn't? <.<
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Didn't even know there was a tutorial like this.
    I think it would been better to first let the rookie build the power and then the extractor.
    Also helping build a harvester with Gorge would have been a nice addition.
    All minor details though.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Amad wrote: »

But it should...Should buld like 20% faster or something
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2014
    Yes it does.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Without glancing at the code I'd say it's just that the builder has to play the "draw" animation before it starts building (and you're counting that towards the build rate incorrectly) while the welder is already out when you press m1 to start building, and you're not counting the draw animation for that.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

12% faster. 10seconds for a robo by building tool, and 8.75 seconds with welder.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Only for the power node because it stays blue during the build, and if you want to count that, just remove ~150ms and you got the "right" count. But for the others I don't use it.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @CDT

Can we just make the welder build everything faster (and noticeably so), then put that in an official changelog so people can stop arguing?

IIRC the builder/welder build a certain ammount per tick (or something). Make the welder build 20% more per tick!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Benson wrote: »
    @CDT

Can we just make the welder build everything faster (and noticeably so), then put that in an official changelog so people can stop arguing?

IIRC the builder/welder build a certain ammount per tick (or something). Make the welder build 20% more per tick!
    Too simple.

I'm thinking the next move is to continue the paradigm of [more advanced technology is inferior] such as with the case of a tool specifically designed to build actually building slower than an ordinary welder.

We need to add a weapon where the marine draws out his trusty bricks, mortar and cement mixer and can build some, but not all structures an arbitrary amount of time faster than the welder or build tool.

Lets make the default button to switch to this new equipment the same button as the flashlight. Or the commo rose. that way you can access whichever build tool you want, when you want.

i cant wait to play Buildnautica and explore abandonned (and sometimes unabandonned!) construction sites with the aid of my hand assortment of build tools! 8)
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Yes it does.

Over 1000 hours played and I wasn't even aware of that. Sure the difference is rather small but it's still there. Good to know, thanks for sharing.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Tutorial seems pretty good. Except there are no fade tuto. Shouldn't be that hard.
    And onos, I'm sure people will figure out how to play this, no problem, unlike the fade that can be pretty challenging
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Without glancing at the code I'd say it's just that the builder has to play the "draw" animation before it starts building (and you're counting that towards the build rate incorrectly) while the welder is already out when you press m1 to start building, and you're not counting the draw animation for that.

i'm pretty sure this is accurate. the rate at which the welder builds is the same. there's an animation which has to play when you start using the builder which makes it take longer. the tutorial is definitely wrong. but whatever hah
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    kmg wrote: »
    Mendasp wrote: »

i'm pretty sure this is accurate. the rate at which the welder builds is the same. there's an animation which has to play when you start using the builder which makes it take longer. the tutorial is definitely wrong. but whatever hah

At least, that forces people to buy Welders. :D --> "NEED WELD!"