Rate the maps

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
Let's rate the 10 stock maps from favorite to least favorite, see what patterns shake out. :) No particular metric here, just sort em based on how much you enjoy them.

1) Tram - Probably the most arc-useful map out there, without making them OP. We need more fast paced compact maps like this for ns2. Everything sort of turned into summit.
2) Veil - I love that marines can sneak through at least half the vents in this map... if you know how. :)
3) Summit - It's summit.
4) Refinery - Seems to always provide nice long games without feeling too stale-matey.
5) Descent - Don't get to play this one often enough.
6) Biodome - Pretty summit, what's not to like?
7) Kodiak - definitely going to move this one farther up the list as improvements to balance are made.
8) Mineshaft - there's a great map hidden in here somewhere, just needs a little more refinement (ie Cave is awful for aliens)
9) Docking - can't quite put my finger on it, just something I don't like about it.
10) Eclipse - just never had a fun game on this map.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I dont think i can put them into an order, but my general (unpopular) opinion is that descent and docking are underrated (mostly desc, though), bio is pretty fine, and that summit is sortof... bland. It has the most basic layout, which makes for balanced games, but i think its just boring sometimes.
    And yeah, eclipse sucks.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    1) Refinery - I always enjoy myself on this map, and seem to have had number of great long games.
    2) Docking - Was once my #1 but refinery is winning these last few months.
    3) Veil - I love veil, and it would be #1 if it was not overplayed for me.
    4) Decent - I have fun on descent, and have many great engagements specifically on the bottom of the map. I like the map quite a bit, but not my favorite by any means.
    5) Mineshaft - I usually really enjoy myself on this map but map balance seems off one way or the other. Cave is terrible for aliens, and repair start is OP with quick access to 5 RT's.
    6) Biodome - I like the map, but there is no special love for it. "Pretty summit" sums it up.
    7) Tram - Great map, but also lower because I am slightly bored of it.
    8) Kodiak - I love the maps theme, but I have yet to be able to play a good game on it if I can find a server playing it. It is low because I simply don't have enough information to have a valid opinion yet.
    9) Eclipse - Its beautiful. I dislike the layout though. I always did even in the greybox version of the map.
    10) Summit - Not that it is a bad map, I am just bored of it. Just been overplayed for me. I never vote for it, yet I still play it a lot.

If you asked me 6 months ago it would of been different. In another 6 months it probably will be different too.

" We need more fast paced compact maps like this for ns2. Everything sort of turned into summit." I agree.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    1. Summit - 9/10
    2. Tram - 9/10
    3. Veil - 8/10
    4. Descent - 7/10
    5. Biodome - 7/10
    6. Docking 6/10
    7. Eclipse - 5/10
    8. Kodiak - 5/10
    9. Mineshaft - 4/10
    10. Refinery - 4/10

Bonus: Jambi - 9/10
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2014
    1. Tram - Definitely the best map in my opinion, balanced, and I like the atmosphere of the map. Layout is perfect as well.
    2. Veil - One of my favorites of course, layout is super original for say, a tiny bit less balanced than the others that's right & even if I played a ton of rounds on this map, I still enjoy to go on. Texturing gives another background.
    3. Biodome - This map is awesome, in the same kind of layout as Summit, I tend to prefer Biodome for its aesthetic and all that visual stuff. It's also better when it's pretty rare to play on this map contrary to Summit.
    4. Descent - I agree too about this map. Visually perfect & beautiful, games are rarely played on Descent. Why? Bigger than Summit with a similar layout though, I like this one 'cause textures are so differents & well realized. I'd like to play more.
    5. Summit - Here we go, Summit is an excellent map of course, but after seeing too many games and rounds played on this map, it's getting boring & annoying to get few rounds here. Layout is nice though & map is clearly one of the more balanced in NS2.
    6. Refinery - Will be never added on the competitive side, it really doesn't mean I do not like playing on this map. I like the layout and it's often on this map, I get the best public games. I admit, Lava Falls has a important role into this.
    7. Docking - Contrary to many people, I have no problem playing this map, it's just, that's not a lie, map isn't really balanced at all. However, atmosphere is great & it's also the first map you're supposed to play thanks to the tutorial you're also supposed to have tested at your very beginning. Too many changes on this map made me a little confused & disappointed about it.
    8. Mineshaft - Different map, not balanced neither and mainly because the map is fully/almost dive into darkness and even if I like the idea & enjoy to play this, it's the reason I have to put this map here on the list.
    9. Kodiak - What a shame? Kodiak is, I guess, a great map but I only tested this map a few times. I cannot get a real opinion but I'm pretty sure it deserves to be placed higher on my list. Wait & see & with hope, I could play this map more in the future.
    10. Eclipse - What can I say about this? Visually beautiful, layout & I have to say, too many things make this map really unbalanced & then, servers do not want to changemap (or it's rare) for Eclipse.

Same as Snb, Jambi would deserve to be in that list.
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    These days I prefer playing the maps others seems to ignore, why's that? Because I absolutely HATE playing tram / summit / veil combination over and over and over again. They are indeed amazing maps but I'm the kind of person who enjoys variety.

1) Biodome - Hands down the best map ever made. Not only visually amazing but it plays like veil which forces both of the teams to have different strategies.

2) Kodiak - Another visual masterpiece. Not quite as balanced as many of the other maps but definitely one of my favorites to play nevertheless. Just like Biodome, it forces all sorts of funny strats and ideas, especially fun with comp players.

3) Eclipse - What? Seriously? Yes! Whether it's the nostalgia or the super tight corridors, I LOVE this map! Marines are forced to be super aggressive or they'll end up getting chewed. Could stare at the rain effect for hours. *nod*

4) Mineshaft - Huge, dark and highly atmospheric. This is the kind of theme every NS2 map should have. Heck, if I would personally make a map it would be something like Mineshaft, extremely dark, perhaps so dark that marines would be forced to use flashlights in certain locations. Love it.

5) Veil - As much as I hate the familiar combo of Tram / Summit / Veil, it's still the best map out of those three. The endless fight of nanogrid is somewhat unique compared to any other map out there.

6) Descent - Underrated! Love the theme and how each and every room works together. Not quite as tight as eclipse but having the same feel, arcing has never felt so good what it does in this map.

7) Docking - Used to hate it but for whatever reason I grew to love it. Especially after the added vents. Perhaps I'd prefer the older versions but the newest ain't so bad either, definitely a fun map!

8) Tram - The most played map because you keep voting for it! There's no real flaws or anything...it's just boring to play the same map over and over again. Come on, vote for something else.

9) Summit - I could put these two either way but what makes summit just SLIGHTLY worse in my eyes...is the autrium start. Baaahhh, works well enough in comp games but it's a nightmare out in public games.

10) Refinery - I'm sorry, I just don't like the map. In fact, I never really liked refinery. Lava? The overall hot theme, ughhh. It plays out well enough to be tolerable but if I could pick another map, I would.

People mentioned jambi here...yeah no, not for me. If I'd have to pick a single custom map it would be caged. That map NEEDS to be finished. Loved it in NS1 and will love it in NS2.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I love all the maps. Some are obviously much better suited to comp play, but they are all wonderful. My opinion of a few maps has fluctuated massively since their induction but all in all I think most maps are in a good place at the moment. Mainly the spawn locations need to be revised as a lot of combinations are pretty broken.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    GREAT :::::::::::::::::::::::::Tram, Summit, Veil, Jambi
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    OK ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Biodome
    |
    |
    |
    PLAYABLE ::::::::::::::::::::::Descent
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    BAD :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Docking
    |
    |
    |
    |
    SLIGHTLY WORSE ::::::::::::::::Refinery, Mineshaft
    |
    |
    |
    |
    IDFK WHY THIS EXISTS:::::::::Eclipse

Note: Kodiak not listed cuz fps was sht. Haven't tried it in the new build cause constant crashing.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like all the maps, they all offer nice diverse tactics and visuals.

I am a big fan of Eclipse and Kodiak, some fantastic choke points that test player skill and team work abilities.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    miieeeenshaftttt #1 map death to all teh h8ters!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    1. Veil - Great Art, different tactics are needed, balance is pretty good.
    2. Eclipse - Underplayed, beautiful map, the problem is the marines are disadvantaged from the start of the game.
    3. Kodiak - Fresh design, great looking map, underplayed.
    4. Descent - Great art, suffers from summit design syndome.
    5. Tram - A classic map, looks great, balance is great.
    6. Biodome - Great art, map distances put pub marines at a disadvantage, suffers from summit design syndome.
    7. Refinery - Wildcard map, you're either going to have a fun time or miserable time, balance is whacky.
    8. Docking - Average map, center of the map has many shortcuts that can lead straight to a hive room.
    9. Mineshaft - Purely a non-competitive map, balance is all over the place and jetpacks make the Cave hive impossible to defend.
    10. Summit - Least aesthetically pleasing map, crevice is exploitative, overplayed, and inspired the safe map design that is copied by other maps.
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    There isn't a map that I don't like, but I like some more than others. Most have fairly different visual styles which makes them look quite distinct.

1. Veil - It's just something different from most maps, it's well balanced and fun for both sides.
    2. Eclipse - The design is off the beaten path and allows for a variety of tactics on both sides. Marines will often struggle at least at the start of the game if they aren't coordinated.
    3. Descent - My favorite of the Summit-styled map, the paths around hydro analysis add a lot to the layout.
    4. Kodiak - Another interesting layout, great atmosphere, but terminally underplayed. Marines tend to have a tough time unless they are well coordinated.
    5. Summit - This map is the definition of "functional". It's well balanced but its layout and art are fairly uninspired.
    6. Biodome - I'm not sure how to put this in respect to Summit, but it's a well designed map but marines suffer from some of the distances involved.
    7. Tram - This falls in with summit in that it's perfectly functional yet not terribly interesting to play.
    8. Mineshaft - The northern half of this map has a pretty wonky layout but the atmosphere is top notch.
    9. Docking - I have no idea how to rate this map so I just left it for the last space I had open. I think it's way too easy for marines to harass the alien's naturals. If aliens get a generator start then they are in deep trouble because of this. It's main redeeming quality is that I've seen a lot of good games on this map and superb comebacks.
    10. Refinery - It feels a bit too open in a lot of places and lava falls tends to be really awkward to fight over.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited August 2014
    1) Descent - I rate this map first because it almost never comes up, is well balanced, and is always a nice change of pace. I always seem to have fun here.
    2) Kodiak - Some say it favors Marines, others say it favors Aliens, I think in reality it's one of the most balanced maps. A lot of big open space for Marines while at the same time plenty of cover and ambush spots for Aliens. Plus it rarely comes up so that moves it up on my list.
    3) Eclipse - I hated it at first, but then quickly grew to love this map. If Marines are aggressive it usually leads to a good game. Some of the longest and best NS2 games I've ever played have been on this map, trading bases back and forth. Lots of fun.
    4) Veil Five - A better version of Veil that removes the importance of nano and adds a fifth tech point. It could still use some work, but it's still a lot of fun. Really wish more servers ran this map.
    5) Veil - Despite the strategy being the same every game (get nano) for some reason it's always fun to play.
    6) Refinery - A decent map that is usually fun. I don't really like it, but I don't hate it either, it's just meh.
    7) Biodome - I think this map would be better if they redesigned Reception, Canopy and Seeding, then removed the fixed marine spawn. I'd love to try it with Hydro/Platform start. Seems too easy for Aliens to lock down Canopy and Seeding early on.
    8) Docking - An ok map that seems to be just a bit too one sided in favor of Marines. Maintenance and Stability are far too important for Aliens, and too easy for Marines to kill.
    9) Mineshaft - I find this map to be annoying. I hate the whole Cave area and think that there are way too many unnecessary props (railings etc) you can get caught on.
    10) Summit - I don't care if it's well balanced or not, as one of the most overplayed maps it's become no fun at all to play anymore. I used to like it at one point, but I've played it SO much that the whole map is just boring as hell now.
    11) Tram - Even more overplayed than Summit, and I never liked this map in the first place. I've reached the point where if possible I'll go to another server to avoid playing this map again.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited August 2014
    I'm not too good at accurately ranking maps, but I'll try.

1) Veil
    2) Tram
    3) Docking
    4) Descent
    5) Summit

I personally like all maps, and I could only show my top 5 favorites sort of accurately. I honestly can't think of a map that I dislike.

Also I don't like how people keep hating on kodiak, it's a great map and the only problem it has is that it's harder for less experienced players compared to other maps.
  • lotnik190lotnik190 Poland Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187394Members
    1. Summit - for me the best map. Very balanced and fun to play.
    2. Tram - balance again.
    3. Biodome - pretty well balanced and beautiful map.
    4. Kodiak - beautiful, probably best looking map in the game. And it's got great climate. Balance is pretty good too.
    5. Veil - great balanced and fun to play.
    6. Descent - good balance and climate.
    7. Docking - after tons of changes it is finally playable, balanced and fun.
    8. Eclipse - grate looking map, but balance is bad for me.
    9. Mineshaft - beautiful, really nice climate but balance is bad.
    10. Refinery - it's fun to play but not that fun as rest.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    I actually like the lesser played maps, mostly because it provides variation from the same old tram, summmit, veil.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Maps I like to play on: summit, tram, veil, jambi, biodome, caged

Maps I like to look at: eclipse, descent, kodiak, docking

Maps I don't really like either way: refinery, mineshaft (I'm not a fan of the dark gritty industrial Alien³ look)
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Tram : best map
    Summit : very good map, overplayed as fuck, maybe too small
    Biodome : Good alternative to summit, beautiful, interesting, excellent map
    Veil : good atmosphere, good layout, overplayed
    Descent : maybe a little bit too large, over connection, beautiful though. I don't know, but each time marines were winning on this map, aliens seemed to always massive gorge rush our bases, which was quite hard to defend (map is big)
    Kodiak : meh progression feels linear I don't know why, too many trees, man
    Eclipse : corridors ! CORRIDORS !!
    Mineshaft : not that bad, but quite unbalanced
    Refinery : I don't know whta to say about this map. almost always had nice games on it, sometimes epic. but Lava Falls, man, freaking lava falls

several custom maps :
    Jambi : yeah, awesome map
    Fusion : very nice layout, lacks props and detailing but has a nice feel
    Caged : some tech points are just horrible. overall map seems good
    Fracture : looks awesome, some say that it's unbalanced. never got to play it in pubs or pugs
    Outer Rim Ark : HUGE, awesome layout, amazing details, beautiful, varied, perfect for 20+ slots pub games.

To sum up, I'd love to see more of these custom maps

ps : Derelict and Relic looks both promising and beautiful, too (but still a lot of greyboxes so.. wait & see)