Build 267 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    "Added as many UTF8 characters as possible to all fonts. This makes you able to chat in cyrillic."

We are so screwed

Edit:

Seriously though. Wonderful patch, performance is great in game. I won't ask for all the extra little fixes i'd have like to have seen because you guys are obviously working very hard and i've already reported the issues, but i'd like to offer some encouragement and hope this awesomeness keeps up long enough for more of the big things to get sorted.

different sensativity settings for aliens and marines when.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Huge player count servers serve no purpose but to harm the community. The gameplay on them is absurdly bad. Because of the way the server browser works they gain a natural popularity advantage as well... im fine with seeing them staying far in the realms of unsupported...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    @the_tick Yeah, the community is awfully stubborn so you can bet on not getting any official support when it comes to that. People will continue to vehemently keep it locked to 24 players despite plenty of us hailing from large public games back in the day.

Though it's not going to make much of a difference in their eyes, could you limit your server to 32 players at most? That seems to be the standard for large public multiplayer games these days. It should also provide a marginally better experience for the people in your server. Just sayin'.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow sounds awesome, yet to play it, weekend is going to be smash some ns2 out!
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    It looks like the issues come from outdated mods, so no hotfix in order
    Not all of them. I doubt that broken localization in Linux can happen because of mods. It obviously wasn't tested even once, you just can't ignore the empty main menu when switching the language to Russian. Especially after this many playtests. Why everybody ignores that report, answering other people in the thread but not me? Or answering something completely unrelated. Yes, I know that Linux devs are on board, maybe they'll drop a line or two regarding this issue? People without mic now started writing cyrillic all the time and I have to open the console just to read what they say. I see only overlapping players names in chat without the messages themselves.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "PLEASE try the new graphics and multi-threaded physics options, and give us as much feedback as possible! Cheers! "

Too scared.

"Obviously... girls can't throw an axe =)) " -<< seen it done. Her BF made throwing axes in downtime at work. Interesting people.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Hmmm... this can be a can of worms, but there's needs to be voices of reason on both sides.
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Huge player count servers serve no purpose but to harm the community.
    This is incorrect. Large player count servers offer a different, and popular, version of the game. You are welcome to a disagree with it, but around 18% of the player base is enjoying them at any one time. If they weren't enjoying it, they wouldn't be playing there. If you understand this you'll realise large player count servers are in fact serving the community, and keeping people playing.

McGlaspie wrote: »
    Asking for a significant increase in available player counts is also asking for the entire game (costs, res rates, HP/AR, tech-flow/unlocks, etc) to be rebalanced.
    I won't comment on the technical aspects, you know better than anyone else. I just want to point out that for large player games little if any balancing needs to be done. The only change on Wooza's 42 player server is starting marine IPs scaling with player count (1, 2 or 3 at start). That's it. The games play remarkably well like this and every night we have some incredible matches.

We're finding, in fact, that the major limitation for large players is not the mechanics, but the maps. Some maps play really well with large player counts, others not so much. Those that really don't work well can be removed from the rotation.

Incidentally, I believe there are maps in progress specifically designed for larger player counts now. This game style is growing. Anything you can do on your side to help this in future (like making it easier to alter player cap, Tick's original complaint) is appreciated, though we also understand your energies need to be focused on the core game first. And that's fine, that's as it should be.

Just never say never :) Survival is any any sphere is about adapting to change.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    quick play throws me into empty servers even though there are servers that are populated but not full
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    quick play throws me into empty servers even though there are servers that are populated but not full

It is known and is already fixed for 268 where you will experience to glory of the new quick play :) (which is the same as the 267 one, but working ;) )
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    Asking for a significant increase in available player counts is also asking for the entire game (costs, res rates, HP/AR, tech-flow/unlocks, etc) to be rebalanced. I do not see this ever changing for the entirety of NS2's life either. Far, far too many issues that come along with it. Not too mention the technical limitations. Sorry if you feel that way @the_tick, but it is what it is.

Short version -
    * There are no technical limitations anymore
    * I have developed a balance mod to address large server balance issues, which pretty much makes that argument invalid
    * there are only 2 servers who make use of this

Long version

Anything above 20 is fucked in ns2 without rebalancing simply because at that level the game becomes a JP GL spam shitfest. (*And yes, the magic number is 20) (** Talking out of experience) This is why some simple value's are changed. For example, the grenade launcher costs 30 instead of 15, and does less overall damage. Which makes it for marines harder to spam with a GL. And this is not the only change I have made. There is a whole array of balance changes but keeping the balance intact. Also I have made some changes to improve the quality of the server, and by this I mean making some simple changes to reduce the overall entity count on a map. So that even in long games the server client does not suffer as much as you see with other large server(s)

There are a whole balance changes, and improvements, for example webbing, who's idea was it to put it on biomass level 7 make give it an amazing 50 HP, make the web so long even the most exprienced players would kill themselves by attempting to use webbing. And as a final measure, let's make the webs more visible then a stop sign, but wait, that is not all, To really really make sure you won't get webbed anymore, make sure I can still shoot in the astronomical chance when I am drunk I might step on to one. But make sure gorges pay hefty fines on using webbing, this way it never pays off to place webs.

Anyways...

Technical limitation, please enlighten me about that, because I am getting sick and tired of that argument, server is handling it at a tickrate of 30, even on long games. with over 1250 objects on the map. My client rate is doing fine +100 fps average, on a average up to date pc.

a just say the game is designed for 24 players, Remove the limit any server player account above that and it is at your own risk in inbalancing the game, problem solved. All I am asking
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The 40 player argument should be taken to a different thread. That said, the CDT wont support nor hinder the 40 player servers. Maybe that changes one day when performance increases dramatically, but as it is now, nothing will change in that regard
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2014
    Is that question about servers is really necessary? You cannot force people/players to not invest money on >20 slots servers. So yeah, that's a shame for some people, in my opinion, performances & balanced gameplay for public reach their paroxysm on a server with only 18 slots, if it's less, this is not even funny for public, if it's more, that's just a mess. That doesn't mean I have no fun here, it's only different & not my preferences.

That said sentence about servers added thanks to the b267 is very helpful & definitely enough for now, at least. People joining such servers are immediately warned about performances issues, etc.

And the question about balance, something that I can understand, truly seems out of subject whether players usually connect to these servers, like/enjoy to play on, that's also create a kind of community, it's often the same players who are joining the same servers, for 24/42 or even less like HBZ servers.

And with all these improvements thanks to the b267, issues performances are getting closer to the host, and not to the number of slots.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Asraniel wrote: »
    The 40 player argument should be taken to a different thread. That said, the CDT wont support nor hinder the 40 player servers. Maybe that changes one day when performance increases dramatically, but as it is now, nothing will change in that regard
    I agree, and it's been done to death anyway. I hope I didn't de-reail with my post, just wanted to point out balance is not as large an issue as it may seem, speaking from months playing on these servers (though tick's approach and Woozas is quite different. Wooza aims to be as vanilla as possible), and should not be a disincentive to avoid looking into large server support at some point in future.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    one argument that speaks for unlocking player counts above 24 is simply for mods: there might be a mod which depends on 20vs20 (and wont function below that)? for vanilla ns2 itself i agree, doesnt make so much sense, but modded ns2 is a different story
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    If so many players enjoying warpin skulks, rubberbanding from hell and half possible fps cause doubled entity amount the CDT should stop wasting time in optimizing this game.
    These players wont see the difference anyway.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    sv_spawnteams

How does this work? In what format do the parameters need to be?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    This patch is awesome, i never drop below 120 FPS now on 18 player server, any higher and it stays around 100, so this is great, game feels and plays like it should have from the start :D

And as for The big servers kinda are a bummer, to a point that, when new players join them, they are not getting the Best EXP from the game, either it be, rubber banding, lower than normal FPS, More Hitching, and off course they may even crash.
    Servers with that high a player count, why not just divide the server and make 2 servers, its a win win for everyone :)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just adapt the Server Browser player sorting to show 24 slot servers on top then decreasing to servers with 1 player on, then only comes the listof 24+ servers. Problem solved. Now b2t :P
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    sv_spawnteams

It tells you when you use it with no parameters
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    sv_spawnteams

Ah ok, would be cool to have this in the changelog ;) We're not used to console commands having help text! :P
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    sv_spawnteams

Ah ok, would be cool to have this in the changelog ;) We're not used to console commands having help text! :P
    It was when I put it in there
    Nevermiiind thanks for the info anyways, have a +awesome