Build 267 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    good job. Now to try and play on an AUS server when I finish work and put the kids to sleep... Really wd CDT (you all deserve a break and all the accolades coming at you). Also, System must be the forum's most awesomed forum goer ever.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2014
    Lol so I launch up, adjust my settings, play a game - everything going smooth and then

all audio disappears from my right earcup, i figure it's the game........ nope exited and no sound from my right ear cup :(

So my headset broke :((

good patch anyway!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »
    Lol so I launch up, adjust my settings, play a game - everything going smooth and then

all audio disappears from my right earcup, i figure it's the game........ nope exited and no sound from my right ear cup :(

good patch anyway!

Patch broke my headset thread?? j/king. So much <3 atm in the forums.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

good patch anyway!

Patch broke my headset thread?? j/king. So much <3 atm in the forums.

Yep, from when I played in I think a 16 slot, my fps was averaging like.... 160?? and min 119~ even hit 190+ at some points.. did have one weird heavy frame drop looking at something but it lasted a second then didn't come back... was re-taking vent on biodome and bam audio wipe out :(
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    thank you cdt for this update, what a BEAST of a change log!

good patch anyway!
    i get that sometimes (logitech G35) and have to physically unplug them from the USB port.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good work to everyone involved.
  • HoliHoli Sweden Join Date: 2014-01-28 Member: 193600Members
  • A_Gay_PossumA_Gay_Possum Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187372Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I feel like I should get an achievement for reading the entire changelog.

Job well done on this massive update UWE!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    OMG you guys are freakkin awesome!
    Seriously good job on this massive patch, hat off for the amazing efforts and time that went into this.
    Truly astonishing passion we have around here.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    i haven't played in a while but my average fps definitely seems to have increased. hitting 180 is pretty normal for me now which is nice.

quick join has been pretty useless for me so far. i basically just get dumped into an empty server every time i try it. is it because every server with people on it shows as having a lower relative skill level?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    kmg wrote: »
    i haven't played in a while but my average fps definitely seems to have increased. hitting 180 is pretty normal for me now which is nice.

quick join has been pretty useless for me so far. i basically just get dumped into an empty server every time i try it. is it because every server with people on it shows as having a lower relative skill level?

Once the stats system resets and has better data it should help (this will happen saturday). Also its still a work in progress and a lot of servers fill up quickly which may also be way it doesnt work to well :P
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    "Console now supports pasting text."

Biggest change in 267.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU ARE RUNNING MODS, DISABLE THEM! most modders take up to 48hrs to update after a patch is released. When these mods load they may have compatibility issues with changes we made to the game. Those of you experiencing issues, please first verify you aren't running any mods and that the server isnt either. If you continue to have issues, please report them in the Technical Support forums, THANK YOU!

Wouldn't it be a good idea to disable mods after each patch with a message saying that they were disabled because of a new patch?
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited August 2014
    Got an extra 20fps on average with this patch, excellent work.

I just wish more people played (down to 408 average players now, lowest ever).

With figures as low as that, the game might as well go Free to Play.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    you know, now I'm not getting major hitching all the time, it makes it all the more annoying when I experience just a little bit of hitching :P
    It's great we're finally getting somewhere with this though, I'll have to remember to p_logall and give you guys some data :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Benson wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that this patch deserves a name?

Goo fountain
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited August 2014
    4 cores á 2.3 ghz here. average fps didn't seem to improve (30-50), but there are no more worst-case scenarios with <10 fps. something like 25 was the worst i noticed so far, possibly down to 20 (didn't focus on it all the time).
    in any case, major improvement for me, also with the reduced hitching.
    thank you guys so much :)
    i was even able to luckshot a saunamen lerk thanks to this. +34 score :D
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    4 cores á 2.3 ghz here. average fps didn't seem to improve (30-50), but there are no more worst-case scenarios with <10 fps. something like 25 was the worst i noticed so far, possibly down to 20 (didn't focus on it all the time).

Just to be sure: you enabled "multi-threaded physics", right? It's off by default.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Tried quick join (or whatever its called) and just stayed at the search screen for 2 minutes. I finally cancelled it. Immediately after this, I quickly found servers manually that were populated, not full, and had a reasonable ping, and no questionable mods.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The multithreading shouldn't really boost fps all that much but you should notice a considerably more consistent frame rate mid/lategame. Ie. less random fps drops which makes the game feel smoother.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    Just to be sure: you enabled "multi-threaded physics", right? It's off by default.
    yes, tried it with on and off before posting that. didn't have a very late-game with on yet though so it might still make another difference.
  • destroyerjjbgdestroyerjjbg Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183467Members
    ths for ur efforts guys. I build a new pc rig, hope ns2 now will look properly with the original and all ur fixes.
    ths
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Zaggy wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to disable mods after each patch with a message saying that they were disabled because of a new patch?

We have discussed a few options moving forward, thanks!
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    What a difference. I am, however, still getting minor hitching on my 2GB 660M video card with the texture setting at 2GB+. Should I maybe lower it to 1.5GB or lower to avoid it all together?
    it doesnt hurt to try that, this was just the first major pass on the hitching.
  • HoliHoli Sweden Join Date: 2014-01-28 Member: 193600Members
    Played for a bit now and the hitching is considerably less of a problem and I have better fps endgame than before :) Thanks for finally getting to this! Best NS2 patch to date by far!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Anyone who feels like they are experiencing large , notable hitches or hitches worse than before and worthy of noting (a few here and there are known as Mcglapsie said) and are willing to provide data on how to help capture hitches.. can report them in our tech support forums by providing a performance log.
    Type p_logall in the console to record a log of your hitching.
    Only provide the worst performing log (you can end each with p_endlog or at the end of a round) from whatever samples you make, and try to keep the logs relatively short (not hours).
    You will find this file in your hidden %appdata%/Natural selection 2 folder with a ".plog" file extension, be sure to compress it with winrar before uploading it to a webite and linking it in a tech support thread.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Still getting the "Cannot Allocate enough memory" error that I used to get. I thought the VRAM fix was going to handle that?