Beacon sound heard across the world.

TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
Why is the beacon sound heard everywhere? It seems to me the observatory doing the beacon-ing would sound an alarm but it shouldn't be heard across the map.

And, as long as I have your attention, what went into the decision to limit beacon to only live marines? Has any thought gone into allowing an upgrade or something to revive all dead marines on beacon?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Hi,

I'll answer your question.

Q: Why can you hear the beacon sound everywhere?
    A: That is so everyone is aware that a beacon is going to happen. So aliens and marines have a chance to prepare themself.
    Just imagine how confusing it would be playing as marine if you suddently spawn back in base because you were not aware that your commander did beacon.

Yes if teams would communicate like they should this wouldn't be needed.
    But if you played alot at public servers you should be aware that often you are talking with yourself and therefor they only way to notice that there is a beacon incoming is the beacon sound.

Q: Why is the beacon limitated to living marines?
    A: Actually it's not limitated to living marines only. For each Ip at the cc where the beacon was activated one dead marine gets respawned. This limit is there so beacon is not totally op. Just imagine how it would be if the comm would have a "instant revive the hole team" ability.

Marines could just rush anywhere with that without taking any risks of a counter rush etc.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    TinCan wrote: »
    Why is the beacon sound heard everywhere? It seems to me the observatory doing the beacon-ing would sound an alarm but it shouldn't be heard across the map.

And, as long as I have your attention, what went into the decision to limit beacon to only live marines? Has any thought gone into allowing an upgrade or something to revive all dead marines on beacon?
    Beacons are generally loud, noisy things designed to alert EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG. So I kinda like that it's this unheavenly noise that sounds across the map for everyone to hear.

I think they used to do respawn all marines in NS1? I'm not sure why this was changed but the effects on balance are easy to see. It would take some testing to figure out if it'll be too powerful. I think currently in Comp Mod, units spawning in when the beacon goes off are spawned instantly, but not everyone.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    beacons being heard everywhere is super important, and the beacons spawning dudes at IPs is a good mechanic. i could see it being a little useless on high player count servers though. it might be nice to get a few extra marines if you're in like a 12v12 game.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I think they used to do respawn all marines in NS1? I'm not sure why this was changed but the effects on balance are easy to see. It would take some testing to figure out if it'll be too powerful. I think currently in Comp Mod, units spawning in when the beacon goes off are spawned instantly, but not everyone.

It respawned and transported the whole team to marine start. It made it possible to turtle marine start for a long time until aliens organized an onos rush. Beacon used to only go to marine start in those days. There was much bacon to be had.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    I don't like that the beacon sound can be heard at the same volume everywhere. What is the source of the noise.

If there are 4 ips and all marines are dead then 4 marines will spawn? Do IPs on other chairs work into that equation?
    edited July 2014
    aeroripper wrote: »
    There was much bacon to be had.
    Yes, yes indeed.

Mmmmm. Bacon.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The beacon noise heard everywhere was said to have great utility and balance in the game. The source can be from whatever you imagine it to be. It could be from the base itself, because these are marine bases we fight in. Or it could be from the observatory. Maybe it is just nanites.
    If they used nanites on the base all of the lights would flash a few times as well.

I guess I am remembering the NS1 mechanics from the Alien team perspective with nostalgic fondness. If you were close to the base you could hear it and would call it out to your team.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    TinCan wrote: »
    If they used nanites on the base all of the lights would flash a few times as well.
    Originally that is how the nanite engineers had it, but the Marine TSF admiral found it atrociously annoying so he had them reprogrammed.
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    What if the beacon sound was relegated to rooms with active power nodes (and all marines could hear it)? or that instead of a sound for aliens to hear you could see some teleport visual over marines indicating it was about to happen?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Hi,
    A: Actually it's not limitated to living marines only. For each Ip at the cc where the beacon was activated one dead marine gets respawned. This limit is there so beacon is not totally op. Just imagine how it would be if the comm would have a "instant revive the hole team" ability.

For the record, there was absolutely nothing wrong with this. Except maybe it was too fun.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Hi,

For the record, there was absolutely nothing wrong with this. Except maybe it was too fun.
    And that for a measly 10 res the Marine commander could instantly respawn the entire team even if the IPs were down, bringing a short stop to an otherwise game-ending rush. I think keeping this out is a good move.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see the beacon sound as a fire alarm going off map wide, why wouldn't they have a PA system around their base? Seems legit to me.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Calego wrote: »
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Hi,

And that for a measly 10 res the Marine commander could instantly respawn the entire team even if the IPs were down, bringing a short stop to an otherwise game-ending rush. I think keeping this out is a good move.
    Being able to revive everybody adds so much more possibilities, and fun possibilities.
    And no, it doesn't really change a thing about turtle in NS1, but I can see why it could be a problem in NS2.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    edited August 2014
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Being able to revive everybody adds so much more possibilities, and fun possibilities.
    And no, it doesn't really change a thing about turtle in NS1, but I can see why it could be a problem in NS2.
    How are the Aliens expected to win with so much res in reserve. To put it in perspective say the comm somehow settled on 200 res that's 20 waves of marines the team has to chew through. Aliens have no similar possibilities available to them. This would tip the balance upsidedown.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Or we can all just imagine that there are headsets in the helmets that play it..
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    KungFuJV wrote: »
    Or we can all just imagine that there are headsets in the helmets that play it..
    Yes, that would work for me until it is realized aliens hear it too.
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I see the beacon sound as a fire alarm going off map wide, why wouldn't they have a PA system around their base? Seems legit to me.
    I'm good with that premise but now I am looking for speakers/horn things all over the maps with little luck. They should make a prop mod thing that is the beacon horn that has to be placed in the maps and have them be the beacon sound source.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Look, its the future, ok?
    They used nanites to do it, and they did it like they did for a REASON, ok? You worthless grunt are not even SUPPOSED to question the rightfulness of your superiors decision, you are supposed to FOLLOW ORDERS! So GET BACK OVER THERE, and SHOOT THAT GODDAMN SKULK TO HELL!

Just take a moment to listen to our almighty lord and savior, tvtropes:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Laconic/MST3KMantra
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BellisariosMaxim
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    can you still stand in the readyroom and hear the beacon go off randomly? :P not even spectating haha
    RadimaX wrote: »
    can you still stand in the readyroom and hear the beacon go off randomly? :P not even spectating haha
    NANITES!

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    KungFuJV wrote: »

I like to imagine 1 of 2 things -

a) there's an intercomm/PA system in whatever map you're on, and the Obs uses this to sound the alarm everywhere
    or
    b) nanites when not in use just kinda float/drift everywhere on the air currents, and are programmed to respond to and amplify the sound of a beacon
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its just not good enough, there should be huge bright neon pink fog horns on every map to show where the sound comes from and their should be a big yellow light that flashes as a visual clue to the hearing impaired! *

Nanites indeed....

=))

*this post may suffer from sarcasm and is intended to make you smile x
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I prefered it much more the old way.
    -For one, as a commander you could do a silent beacon when aliens rush the base by using a observer somewhere else.
    -It was cool when you where in a fight with a fade or whatever and suddenly you survived by that beacon you didn't think of.

I really hope you guys make it so that the beacon can only be heard near the observer again. Some changes are taking the depth away from ns2. It looks like programming just to program something.