ns2_frost

VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
edited July 2014 in Mapping
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=287795955

ns2_frost is here! It features RTs and almost flawless pathing!

a3e895a42d8d9d37b1f674ebca3d57.jpg

Simple/Classical layout (inspired by Descent) with one TP in the middle and four arranged around it. For now, spawns are fixed with marines in Hangar and Aliens in Elevator, but there will be more variation in the future.

Visually the map will be divided into shiny looking "official" parts and gritty refinerish "behind the scenes" parts, mixed with ice caves (the map IS called frost, after all).
I will write down some more background story for it later; the basic idea is that it's some research station on an ice planet bla blub; the map itself is actually just the upper level of that station which is buried deep underground. ("Shaft" is the elevator shaft of a huge cargo elevator.)

For now I want to know if I can get away with using those ludicrously bright ice textures and props, if the Transfer RT is too close to the center of the map and if the basic layout works. I also have a feeling that shaft might be too hard for marines to attack.
The pathing mesh largely works, except for that escalator in station overview - you can neither send drifters over it nor cyst over it. If someone knows how to fix this, please tell me! I hope to have this sorted out by sunday.

Oh, and rooms that have stupid names and/or a different floor texture are just placeholders. Namely those are: Skylights, Blerg, One Hallway, Stupid Hallway, Passage. Maybe some others.

Comments

• lotnik190lotnik190 Poland Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187394Members
    Shaft south needs connection with one hallway in my opinion. For now it looks like it's easier to attack shaft from north than from south part of the map. Anyway it looks very good, can't wait to test it this Sunday :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I fixed the escalator in station overview. Apparently the pathing mesh just works better if you do it manually.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited July 2014
    New version up!

5ac7016ca43168840dbfd9ef02016b.jpg

Changelog:

- reduced overall size of the map
    - replaced passage and stupid hallway with actual rooms (underpass and access)
    - completely redid lighting. It looks crappy now, but is also a whole lot darker, so I hope skulks have an easier time now
    - Changed blerg. Is still temporary
    - Replaced One Hallway. Let me introduce: Maintenance! Creative, huh? There's some vents in the general area to prevent easy arcing.
    - Replaced scaffolding that you can see and shoot through with walls that you can neither see or shoot through
    - Minor detail improvements that I can't think of right now

edit: Drifters can fly through certain geometry at the moment. I know about that. It shouldn't be critical, though.
    So... I did flesh out a room on monday a bit, to make it less marine biased and to better represent what it's supposed to look...

Then I assembled my new PC yesterday...

Guess which file is the only one I didn't backup.

Yup.

Don't worry, there's still the workshop version. But it's annoying nonetheless -.-
    edited September 2014
    Surprise! This map is not dead yet!

Short preview of what is about to come tomorrow.

1cb8d0bccdf732c464f9bec843b7fd.png

Most importantly, I made the map a whole lot smaller (again). Some parts still feel very big, though.

5c41bcd9a9f19075f762c3fd372477.png

Other changes:
    - Elevator Access is now the middle tech point
    - Removed Shaft North and South; Created all new Tech Point (Cargo Control (Do I get a Combo Bonus for that naming?)) in the North of the map
    - Removed Train Area, Maintenance, Break Room, Ice Cave, Overpass, not!Skylights and some wacky corridors;
    - replaced by Checkpoint, Marine RT, Train View, Ascension, TOS, SC1&2, Meh, The Door, I don't even, Boxes and Pillars (essentially, I re-made everything that wasn't a Tech Point)
    - Bridge has been changed to be awesome

There's still quite some problems. I didn't manage to remove all long line of sights yet, some rooms just plainly suck or are even just weird geometrical shapes with other weird geometrical shapes in them. Furthermore, run times haven't been looked at at all yet, so all bets are off.

I will look at the remaining issues today and tomorrow, however, as there's a SCC test tomorrow, I wanted to have something playable because I don't know how far I will get.

"Playable" meaning "all rooms are connected somehow". Still have to set up some entities, but that won't take long.
    Route timings turned out surprisingly well, so I'm going to keep it like this for now and instead address some cover issues... and make it, you know, actually work. Entities n stuff.

f69964a4caaf24d817f73c857b4542.png

I'm afraid it's still marine sided.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314060170

Any feedback I can get before we play tonight is awesome. I'll hotfix everything.
    @troop, what was it that you wanted to say about transfer?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hi,

One cent: On the north east side the roads to Elevator seem shorter than on the other side. That would be a thing to look at.

Question? No vents?
    Hi,

One cent: On the north east side the roads to Elevator seem shorter than on the other side. That would be a thing to look at.

Question? No vents?

Vents were added after the screenshot was taken. You can take a look at them if you download the map.
    I always add those last, though, to fix some spots that wouldn't work otherwise (ARC places etc.) and redo them everytime, so don't bother about them too much right now.

In the next version, I will try to make the whole North closer to the middle.